'wh' words being pronounced 'hwh' in Taiwan?

Hello,

Has anyone noticed that a lot of adult students in Taiwan who have been through the English education system here pronounce words such as ‘what, where, why and when’ as ‘hwhat, hwhere, hwhy and hwhen’?

According to Wikipedia this pronunciation is only still used in Scotland, Ireland and this area of the USA:

[wikipedia]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronunciation_of_English_⟨wh⟩#/media/File:Hw-w_merger.svg[/wikipedia]

This must be something to do with the KK system that everyone learns here. Look here and you will clearly see a ‘wh’ at the end of the table.

https://www.google.com.tw/search?q=kk%E9%9F%B3%E6%A8%99&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAWoVChMIxtux6dHLyAIVBKCUCh2KUghS&biw=768&bih=291&dpr=2.5#imgrc=K_4HoHC1_ZWgfM%3A

Will students fail if they use ‘what, where and why’ instead of ‘hwhat, hwhere and hwhy’ at school in Taiwan?

When I came across this I told the student that these words weren’t spoken like this in England, however I let him carry on using it. I think that this was the best thing to do.

It all seems very strange to me.

1 Like

I’ve even heard some people hyper-correct it to an “f” sound here, so “when” would be pronounced “fen”. It’s quite odd.

The explanation is actually [quote]The area marked in purple on this map of the southeastern United States denotes the area in which the contrast between the pronunciation of /hw/ and the pronunciation of /w/ is greatest. In most other areas of the United States, the pronunciations have merged to a greater extent.[/quote]
Some Canadians pronounce the h, and not just geriatrics or Scottish/Irish immigrants. I’ve noticed it among Taiwanese children and have never corrected them because… it’s not actually wrong. :slight_smile:

Some Mandarin speakers do the h to f thing subconsciously. I’ve even caught myself doing it occasionally. :astonished:

And of course local English teachers correct your pronunciation and tell kids you’re saying it wrong.

The"h to f" pronunciation in local Mandarin is especially pronounced after a long “u” sound. Nurse= fushi; fox= fuli.

Or as my wife says when she’s angry “Fu cares what you think?”

DP

Thanks. That lead me to watch some pretty funny videos.

I’ve never heard Taiwanese pronounce ‘wh’ words like ‘hwh’, but I know it’s something that comes up with some Americans and their regionalisms. Never heard a Canadian do it however, contrary to what someone else was suggesting.

In England I only here it from shakespearean theatre actors and recordings of old upper class people.

In the US, I usually hear it from Southerners and elderly people.

It comes from Old English. You hear it more in the far north of England and in Scotland. Many of my family use ‘hw’, but it’s not really found as far south as Manchester where I’m sorta from.

Youse can see it all through ‘Beowulf’. The first word, in fact, is ‘Hwæt!’ which is now ‘what’ which here means ‘Yo!’

Ze text: heorot.dk/beowulf-rede-text.html

It died out for various reasons, but there are vestiges in places where the Norman invasion and occupation didn’t reach, as well as in modern spelling. It’s also more prevalent in places with Icelandic migration, so you get ‘hvat’ rather than ‘hwæt’ which seems to have been more resilient.

Yup. It dates back to Proto-Indo-European kw-. (Latin quid = English what). Through Grimm’s Law it became hw- in Germanic. It died out early on in German and Dutch (where it’s w-), and later in Scandinavia (where its vestiges can be seen in the spelling hv-). It persisted longer in English as wh-. But it’s disappearing now, becoming w-.

Please explain the “physics” of this over compensation. I just ask students to try to just ignore the “h” and treat it as a regular “W” sound. Many have done it. Some will never change, but I’ve never seen the “f” compensation.

Good question: what’s the correct term for the change when a voiceless labialized velar approximant becomes a voiceless labiodental fricative? :ponder:

The youtube link above didn’t onebox because it was posted before the switch to Discourse. Here it is again:

2 Likes

To answer the Ops question, it’s the influence of Taiwanese and Hakka languages.

It’s more like a ‘fwu’ sound.

The same effect happens when they speak Chinese …

Stepdad is from the North of England and he says “What?!” exactly like that.

Just curious, do people who say “wen” for when also say “wich” for which? I personally say “wen” and “which”.

There were no /v/ and /f/ sounds in Old Chinese and Early Middle Chinese. The phonology of Taigi (Taiwanese Holo) is pretty close to Old and Early Middle Chinese, and as such Taigi does not have those sounds.

So it’s highly unlikely that the ‘fwu’ sound is of Taigi influence, and unless you come in contact with many Hakka, since Hakka speaking people is a small minority, Hakka is also unlikely to be the cause of a wide spread ‘fwu’ phenomenon.

That leaves Taiwan’s Mandarin speakers, whose counter parts in Northern China just can’t leave the initial sound /w/ alone and feel the need to butcher it to a /v/ sound. I think that’s what’s happening to the ‘fwu’ hyper correction.

Come to think of it, if they say it like /ven/, then they probably should learn German instead, at least they got the pronunciation of wenn down.

I’m not so sure about Taiyu…but Hakka is choc full of the hw and fw sound.