Wack things in 2020 general thread

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/16/asia/china-india-border-clash-intl-hnk/index.html

The deaths are the first military casualties along the two countries’ disputed border for more than 40 years.

i didn´t put it in the IP section because i want this to be a general thread about everything going wrong in 2020 and how much more sh*ttier it could get… if such a thread already exists, please mods delete this. by the end of the year, this should be a listing of everything bad happened this year.

first covid19, millions unemployed, riots and looting in the us and in many other places.
yesterday north korea blew up a liaison office.
now this…

1 Like

I was invited to a local church. I went, and had a good time… Good music… lots of energy. A friend invited me.

After, I had a “welcome interview” from one of the church heads.

He asked me my age FIVE TIMES! What is up with these people?

How many times can you politely rebuff a question before you say “Bu Guan Ni De Shi”… I was biting my tongue hard. I also nearly said “Wo meiyou lai zheli jiaowang”… lucky I learned how to shut up and smile. If Taipei has taught me anything, it’s how to shut up and smile.

He told me he needed my age so he could stream me into the right group…

Alright, fair enough… so I’m obviously not a high school student. Stick me in with the graduates if it pleases you. I dnt care.

I told him I worked teaching business English in the city center (which is true), and I’m researching AI with some friends / a private group. I just told him casually, as building AI characters on Chat GPT is my new hobby. He kept asking probing questions about that.

Apparently, I’m guessing, he was telling himself I was a lowly buxiban teacher trying to masquerade as an AI researcher.

Umm… no. I really do work in a business English institute, and I research AI on the side, mainly as a volunteer, sometimes paid. It’s fun, it’s my hobby. Beats Xvideos, right?

I have a Github with 79 Repos, tons of Readmes, and a metric ton of code. I could’ve shown him the ChatGPT characters I make right off the bat, or Repos in Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, Phoenix/Elixir and JS that I’ve maintained since 2015. The latest Readme I’ve made has close to 200 commits, and over 20 characters. Its all open source, I could’ve shown him there and then.

But no, apparently he was going to sleuth me out and expose me for the fraud I was…

um, ok.

I never told him I made cash off the AIs, I just hope to monetize that within a year. Why is that relevant at a happy clappy church, FFS? He told me he was “in the law business”, and I never asked him anything.

The conversation moved towards him visibly cringing, and ever so politely saying… “um… so you just work in a buxiban then?” - umm, no, jackass… I teach business English in a verified language school and I can prove it. The school has been mentioned on this forum, but I will not name them, to protect the guilty…

I don’t have a phone either. This apparently span him out…

He them politely-grilled me about how I contact people. I told him, “by email or by phone.”

Apparently not having a phone makes me some kind of galactic super-criminal.

I told him I don’t like modern technology… I like to go out in nature, and play music.

He again, visibly cringed, like he was talking to a mentally ill child…

And said… very slowly, and suspicious…

“So, … you … don’t … like … modern … technology, and you … build … AI … characters”

He said it with no humor, tact or panache. It wasn’t like English pub banter.

He said it in the spirit of a Dragon Elder finding the truth out about the expat fraud who had turned up on his doorstep.

Umm. yeah. ok.

What’s up with these people?

End Rant.

Spring has been good to me otherwise…

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Everytime I see your name come up on my feed, I worry that you are temping my posts…

Is it true that they need to know your marital status to buy some Magnesium Pills?

I would swear on a stack of Bibles they were asking if I was single when I bought some MGO a few weeks ago.

It wasn’t a romantic thing. They apparently really had to know.

2 Likes

Just tell him don’t ask me that question again.
Some people just need to be warned off.

I’m probably speaking out of school a bit, but I guess you might expect a little weirdness.

Are you sure these are not the Moonies et al, looking in how to match you up?

Yes but I’m a rough son of Albion, and I’m trying to be polite…

This was church. Aren’t people supposed to be nice in Church?

My best Chinese would be:

“Buhai yisi, zhege wenti rang wo bu tai shufu… zai Ouzhou women bu tai jinchang wen zhege wenti… buha yisi, buhao yisi”… even if he didn’t understand, my friend from HK would’ve translated just fine.

At least he didn’t try the old “What’s your Chinese Zodiac animal” gambit…

A 60 year old guy at the riverside again asked me 5 times how old I was last year…

wtf?

Women take it as a game if I don’t tell them my age… but these dudes really gave me a creepy grilling.

At least it wasn’t the Hale Bopp crowd…

If you only work in a buxiban, are you still allowed to pray together?

Maybe he wanted to know your background so he can get you married to one of the other members.

1 Like

No, I think that is forbidden.

Say what? :thinking:

At least those are gone. Moonies are still around.

This. Assigned partner, sometimes even career/job. And your wallet is theirs. As well as your will.

I have to say I’ve liked almost every Mormon I ever met.

Kind, courteous, respekful.

I’ve bumped into at least two pairs in Danshui, and they were the coolest, most laid back dudes.

Hardly even talked about religion. Just chatted about life.

So… lucky I didn’t say it if my pidgin Mandarin was wrong…

Is it really that bad? Can no one work out what that Chinglish means?

That is how they get you in.

My mate did his year riding around in 40degrees and told me that’s how they get people talking.

Ofcourse they are, they are here for a good time not a long time.

They basically ride around on bicycles proselytising but do nothing good for anybody else except not emitting scooter fumes.

Sure. Me too in the Mormon case. Maybe a little prickly when poked :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dunno mang, they seemed like decent folks to me…

I also reamember this hot Mormon chick in Xinbeitou around 2014…

My chit-chat wasn’t good enough back then, and I had a gf…

But I so wish I could live that scene again…

You know…

Spin her a sob story, and reel her in.

:slight_smile:

Everybody can probably guess the meaning, but pretty weird way of saying that. I guess the whole exchange was weird though, so…

1 Like