Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

Be sure to ask for the hanshao mandaling (the dark roasted version). It’s not on the menu but it is displayed at the front and available if requested. That being said, this is a pretty seriously old school dark roast, so if your tastes don’t fly in that direction you may simply give it a pass.

Guy

Not sure what hanshao is. Do you have characters for that? I generally prefer a lighter roast, but it really depends on the coffee.

I was referring to the “Charcoal Roast Mandaling.” It’s the super dark one, even darker than their regular Mandaling coffee–absolute rocket fuel. All beans are on display at street level at the entrance, where you see what you’re getting–should you be interested–along with the names in Chinese.

Guy

1 Like

OK, cool. I’m guessing it’s 炭燒曼特寧. I’ll give it a try next time.

You know what is really whack around here? The selection and price of computers. It is so infuriating! Taiwan tends to have outdated models, like a release or two behind the current series. The specs are crap too. 128SSD as standard instead of 256SSD. 128 is piss poor. You would max out your SSD with an operating system, office and 1 game. And the prices for all of these outdated selections are $10,000 to $15,000 more expensive than in the USA. The real kicker is that this applies to Taiwanese brands like Acer and Asus! In their own country! Argh! Yeah, its whack!

5 Likes

You’re paying 10k for a 128SSD?

I believe he’s talking about the overall prices of laptops. Your Engrish really is deteriorating the longer you’re here. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It’s bad. I catch myself all the time with spelling and grammar errors.

I freakin’ called a bottle opener a can opener when I went back 2 months ago. Granted some can openers have bottle openers on them, but…this one didn’t.

1 Like

3 days ago in Tainan, we visited a small house of 2 floors, total surface: 30 ping. We got in, I immediately see around 20 to 30 cockroaches (all dead) mostly in the corners of the different rooms. On the top floor, a room had no windows and the other had a small window facing to the back side of a restaurant (wall was less than a meter away, hence the cockroaches).
2 bathrooms, both WC were all black inside (probably not used for years?), total price: 12,000.
One of the most evil place I have ever seen. Creepy stuff, I wish I could have filmed that.

2 days later, we visited a 40 ping house (2 floors), same area as the previous one, all clean, very tidy, 2 bathrooms. Old but very charming with a Japanese style bedroom too (3 bedrooms in total). Very nice balconies (2).
12,000, same price as the other one :grin:

What currency is this?

NTD I’ts cheap I know :wink: good deal this one. I mean the second one.

Someone will take the first one as they think there is nothing out any better for that price.

That’s a good lesson, don’t base everything on price, cos for the same price there’s always a chance of something better.

Tainan is so cheap to rent. Envy. 400 USD a month for a house in a major city?

On the other hand it’s economy must be terrible.

I don’t know much about the economy, but I guess wages are quite low indeed.
But where I live now we pay 9000 a month for 30 ping, great location but the issue is: 5th floor (last ), no elevator. Don’t care much about the no elevator thing but living in the last floor is not a good idea as it is much hotter from my experience. Won’t rent a last floor again because of that.

1 Like

Probably because it’s not a major city.

Well city , it’s not exactly a town, bigger than Hsinchu .

Matching pink shirts and pink hello kitty umbrella when it isn’t raining.

Turn in your man ID card because you are no longer a man.

1 Like

Hello Kitty umbrella?

1 Like

Yes, it’s a “meimei” umbrella, not Hello Kitty.

2 Likes

This is null if you can’t name the correct cartoon character.

3 Likes