Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

I hope “family jewels” didn’t sail over your head, or at least if they did they were someone else’s. :2cents:

You are mercury.

No, I’m from Rigel VII. Earthlings suck at cosmography! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

How do they get their hands out if they crash lol

I see yellow Nissan Jukes.

No need. They just hold on tight and hope for the best.

I’m running in the heat of mid-morning, wearing the least amount of clothing as possible, cursing myself for not getting out earlier as I am drenched in sweat and fighting off dehydration…

A long comes another runner wearing a black winter puff jacket with the hood up tight and long black winter track pants. Some people here seem impervious to any amount of heat.

That’s a fighter cutting weight.

Need to be careful that you don’t get heatstroke when it gets above 35. Last week I was walking around at noon at 37C and I thought I was acclimated but ended up having a massive headache in the afternoon.

2 Likes

Yeah, same. “Oops - we’ve entered hat season.” Lost most of the afternoon to a vague sense of dizziness.

1 Like

I see it in the races I participate in. My running is so bad when it’s hot. So bad, in fact, that I’m going to take a break from the races until fall or more likely winter. I tried everything, but I just can’t remedy this. I even tried the sauna for heat acclimation. Didn’t work but now I really like the sauna!

But the locals, I agree, much better in this heat.

1 Like

I’ve run races and regularly used to do long runs in this weather ~ it’s not pretty when you stop sweating, your muscles cramp up and you start wandering around aimlessly.

Just saw on the news that Taiwan had its first death from heat stroke this year. Some middle-aged guy was hiking at Eluanbi and started feeling dizzy. Half an hour later he was dead.

Crap, it ain’t even June, man*.

*Unless, you know, the Badges say it is…

It’s been June, apparently, for months…

I am really concerned about my pets. Without AC, indoors temp is already at 29 degrees. And it will get worse.

Extre water bowls? Check. Open windows? Check. What else can I do? AC or fan while I am not there is not an option.

Metal bowl + ice cubes. They’ll probably throw some of them around the house, but what would you rather see? Some melted water or some melted doggie/kittie?

1 Like

I already put ice cubes in their metal water bowls. And yes, they already play ice hockey with them.

They also entertain themselves making confetti out of my weekend papers. Thought they preferred cold tiles but a nice cover of shredded Apple Daily suits them best.

1 Like

Frozen water pet bottles?

A quick Google and some people have suggested leaving a small baby pool to let them cool down in it, but worrying about a wet pet running around the house for 9-10 hours is probably a bit more of a hassle.

How about a timer for the fan? Instead of having it on the entire day, have it turned on for an hour then off for a few hours then on for an hour.

I just bought a low energy consumption Sampo fan from Carrefour for around 1700NT. (https://shopee.tw/SAMPO聲寶16吋DC扇-16吋遙控DC節能風扇-SK-FH16DR-i.3588317.255453443)

Might be worth the investment if you’re concerned about Bobby and the gang.