Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

There was a huge discussion about this a while ago at the other place.
Actual figures show that, technically, more fuel is consumed during operation of electrical accessories.
Just like, if one’s going to be stopped at a light for more than what was it, like 25 seconds or something, turning the engine off and restarting conserves fuel.

HAVING SAID THAT…

All the figures available showed the energy expenditure to be minuscule, AND they were all for automobiles, so the incremental amounts for motorcycle/scooters would be practically undetectable.

1 Like

Wearing rubber/plastic shoes with HOLES in them, on a rainy day in winter! Some wear slippers on a rainy day wearing socks!

Having wet feet all day is not healthy!

“When water seeps through your footwear, your skin absorbs the water causing your feet to become waterlogged and wrinkly. The longer your feet are wet, the greater the damage to your skin, including tears and the formation of blisters and deep painful cracks. Depending on where they are located on the foot, these injuries can be painful and may limit your mobility. If you are living with diabetes the injuries can be life changing as they may lead to serious ulcers that become infected and take many months to heal.”

That said, :scream::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

owow

Those 8000NT boots I bought 4 years ago have paid off every single winter that followed.

With the spending habits of most locals, they are buying a couple hundred NT shoes that will last a few months. In the case of waterproof footwear, cheap leather tends to get ruined quickly, so they resort to slippers or those rubber Nativ shoes/slippers that have holes in them.

Lining up at the MRT train:

Many times people starting to line up 2-3 meters before the actual ‘waiting’ line (being involved with their smart phone), do they really expect me to follow behind them? :thinking:

Or standing in front of the ‘exit’ arrow at the door, can’t they make up their mind and stand left or right? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Buildings, restaurants, shops, bathrooms… don’t have warm water at the sink to wash hands!

Restaurants don’t use warm water or soap to clean dishes, plates, cups, or anything used for eating.

And out in the ‘sticks’ they wash the dishes on the street, in front of the eatery, on the side walk with cold water, in a tub, not a sink.

1 Like

I’m waiting for your shameless plug:

“Come to the Waffle Stop, we have beer, waffles and wash all our dishes indoors with warm water in a sink that’s sterilized on the hour.”

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Not only in the “sticks”. They do it in the middle of town one kilometer from 101 on the corner of xinyi and guangfu.

They also chop up the vegetables on the asphalt.

1 Like

You’re right we have a professional dish washing machine, made in the US by Hobart. :banana: nah nah nah nah nah!

4 Likes

From the ‘Suits’ locations shooting blog

"Suits imagines New York as a fantasyland where people can get not just hot dogs, but even hot cups of coffee on the street.

Torontonians know such a concept is surely laughable, even though we can see people doing just that, on Bloor Street. Like, coffee right out there on the street? Imagine the health risks!"

Seriously? Canadians think that?

It’s gross. You need hot water to properly wash dishes.

Also gross. No proper table to prepare food.

As far as killing nasty germs…not true.

But for removing grease and residue, yeah, hot water is better as it breaks up oils. However, with enough soap and scrubbing, cold water works too.

I think that is only if they use soap, which isn’t usually used in Taiwan.

Says who? That is a big load of an exageration.
Everyone uses soap when they wash up with the exception of curbside stands at nightmarkets and such. But restaurants and homes…of course soap is used.

1 Like

I’m just going from my own experience watching restaurants at all levels. Nicer places use it, but when I say “usually”, that includes all the street little shops and everything who have no use for soap and don’t want to spend money on it anyway.

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger! :wink:

1 Like