Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

This is true. I strongly prefer to be called a “BITCHETTE.”

Guy

Interesting word choice! Maybe the massive investment in English education is having some effect.

The kid probably just listens to a lot of rap.

1 Like

yea its pretty standard behavior. next time just get out the little twerps way. its ok to ride like a twat here, people generally don’t protest and just get out of the way. i have noticed that i have got away with a lot of dodgy riding and nobody has made a peep at me. i went back to the uk over christmas and walked across a not that busy road. i didn’t notice a super serious cyclist was riding down the road at the same time and he yelled out PRICK! it was quite amusing the difference to taiwan.

1 Like

I was afraid of buying my own bottle because of reasons like this. They could be concerned that your bottle is not the right size. Issues like if it’s too small and you pay for a larger size or bottle is too big and you only paid for the smaller size. I guess the only way around it is if you buy the bottle they sell at the drink shops and use it specifically at their drink shops. That way they know it’s the right volume.

i wish death on all early morning drillers. sometime i can’t fall asleep at night and like to get up late. well no chance of that today thanks to the driller… thanks buddy.

1 Like

Dunno why linking with social media in teh government sector is so hard. Instead of havinga single well managed updated account, they have up to 30 or more, and I do not mean for each department, that is a given. Soem have for Northern are, south area, etc. Soem others have divisions like “life and enjoyment”, etc. So you have to go through like 20 accounts to find what you need. Most have teh names in Chinaese…that have nothing to do with teh agency they rpresent. A certain event -Computex, Flower fair, etc- will have one new webpage yearly…aside from te one sfrom previous years, with the same name. Mindboggling, time a-wasting.

Part of the reason is to keep the “under the table” money flowing. A new activity, a new website, multiple paper trails, helps keep new contracts flowing between different people continuously ensuring people can continue to get a cut of the pie.

1 Like

Ok…here’s a “good” one. I don’t have a picture to prove it, because I was told not to take a photograph after I had asked. Cry baby Taiwan police! Anyway, I was at a restaurant and a police car rolled up, four individuals got out. The driver was an actual police officer and the three others were police volunteers. The volunteers were wearing what looked very similar to an official police uniform, but it wasn’t and over the top of the shirt they were wearing a reflective yellow vest. On the back of the vest were the characters “義警”, which means volunteer police officer. So far, so good. But, “Hey! Here is Taiwan!” Underneath the Chinese characters was the English translation for 義警. Was it “volunteer” or “volunteer police” or “police auxiliary”?

Nope. In nice, easy to read capital letters it said, “VIGILANTE”! (私刑) All three of the volunteer police members were proudly wearing their vigilante vests! That sure didn’t make me feel safer!

The really whack and ironic thing about this is wondering whether it was intentional or just another stupid assed English language mistake because both vigilante and volunteer begin with the letter V and are so similar in pronunciation? lol

Vigilante police justice in Taiwan? You bet! So, a stupid error or a nod to actual police activity on this rock?

I explained it to the real cop and wanted to take a picture of it, but he told me not to take the picture or he would arrest me. Loss of face…ooooh….too bad…cry cry cry!

I’ll keep my camera at the ready and the next time I see them, I’ll snap a picture and post it here. Anybody else ever see the “Vigilante Police Volunteer Patrols” in their area of operation?

3 Likes

Just like Charles Bronson

Your mistake was asking. You should’ve just took the picture.

2 Likes

Yep, set your phone to auto upload to online storage of your choice then when you’re asked to delete the photo you just took, do so and show it gone in your gallery whilst you still have it in your online storage.

I think I have seen a picture of that vest with Vigilante in one of the news groups… or the whack Only in Taiwan group on FB. Will look it up.

I give them the benefit of the doubt that those were originally marketed for Central America, as in Spanish vigilante just means guard.

1 Like

@Icon. Ah, yes,to be vigilant! Good add!

To be fair, Google translate gives two options to the translation of that as either “police” or “vigilante”. Guessing that’s where they got it from.

That happens because they want the most exotic, hard to find word, the one no one knows, so they sound more sophisticated. :wall:

1 Like

It could’ve been worse. They could’ve written “lynch mob.” :grin:

2 Likes

That may be true. But who the hell uses Google translate? It’s total shitte!

I’ve definitely seen the vigilante guys around Tainan, I thought I’d grabbed a picture, but can’t seem to find it. Seemed very appropriate.

Did it look anything like the vests shown on the pages linked below?

(On the page linked below, they’re at the top of the page, the second and third thumbnails from the left:)
https://shopee.tw/3M簡制警察反光背心/交警.義警.民防.義交/可客製印刷-i.4731014.483209410

4 Likes