Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

Did you ever watch TV, ‘border security’? A Chinese woman, left Australia with expensive jewelry, when she returned to Australia customs asked her about it (she was wearing it), she had to return the money she got when she left, + fine.

1 Like

That’s quite obvious however AhDohGah was in the process of buying the goods when the “returning one month later” issue surfaced, so either the person processing the paperwork was a genuine physic or (as it happens was the case) they were informed by the purchaser.

Really? I tried it once and was told to bugger off, not particularly politely either. I use the eGates now or occasionally the residents line.

Just get an e-gate entrance/exit permit. Scan your APRC or passport, face. Done.

3 Likes

Yeah, I did it for several years before I got my APRC and never had any problems.

At that time, did they have residents line?

I think it was just foreigners and nationals, but my memory is a little hazy. There are probably threads about it on here somewhere.

And a line for people with a special permit, like diplomats, some business people.

Did you ever notice that you can be the only person in a shop sitting alone in the corner, and the only other customer walks in and somehow finds a way to bump into you.

Sometimes I feel like I must be a magnet.

4 Likes

I find something similar.
I’ll go into a food place with the family and it’s nearly empty, and by the time we leave it’s nearly packed.
Are foreigners living positive advertisements for food cantinas in Taiwan?
It happens enough to for me to notice over the years.

1 Like

Or I’ll find a quiet, unpeopled corner of a park or outdoor recreation area, hoping to sit alone, and soon other people show up and sit next to me, even though there are plenty of other places for them to sit. Shortly the immediate area is teeming with people. I get up, find another solitary spot, and the process repeats.

3 Likes

Drives me demented. Was in a Carrefour food court recently mid afternoon, place was entirely empty, took a 8 person table off to the side with my missus and got our food. Another couple arrive, look around, and instead of the ~ 100 other seats to choose from come and sit beside us! Being used to it at this stage we just picked up our trays and found a 4 person table the opposite side of the court, they got up and got their food and instead of going back to their seats started looking around and I swear they were heading in our direction again till the BF thought better of it, likely helped in his decision by the muttered curses coming from our direction…Similarly on BaiShaWan recently, trekked a couple of 100 meters up the beach away from the parking lot, umbrella rentals and all that to a completely deserted area, at least 100m from the next group each side, within 30 f&^%ing minutes we were the center of a cluster of c^%ts in the middle of the beach, picked our stuff up and trudged off…

2 Likes

I find that a lot of a-do-gas (including and very noticeable, men) use deodorant or some other type of nice-smelling chemical concoction. That might be one reason why locals swarm to you guys like flies to a pile of cow manure.

Do you eating lunch at lunchtimes?

Dinner at dinner times?

ha ha.
I’ve actually found that it’s better to eat a big meal, like 2-3 vegetables, one type of meat, and the accompanying side of white rice, for lunch and then have a lighter meal at night. almost never eat huge meals for dinner unless it’s right after an exercise period of 2 hours or greater (bike ride, for example)

The floaty walkers drive me nuts. I follow normal walking protocol and generally keep a steady pace and straight line. There is always someone in front of me who drifts to the side, usually with face in phone, and right into my path. I would really like to put a shoulder into them, but have refrained…so far.

3 Likes

If they are walking toward you, just stop and stand like a stone.
Usually they SUDDENLY perk up and realize there is an obstacle in the way of their drunken-like path and move back to their side of oncoming walking traffic.

Same with people holding umbrellas who are walking toward me and it appears like the umbrella will hit my face/head. I just put up my left arm in front of me like a big pole and let the umbrella get jerked back nearly out of their hands after I push it backwards.

2 Likes

if you bumped into them they would think you are the asshole i guarantee it.

using the MRT can be annoying too. people like to faff about infront of the entrance, or they stand on the left side of the escalator giving no fucks about people who want to use the fast side.

2 Likes

I don’t know, Taiwan practically invented this as far as I know. Is this a thing anywhere else? It ain’t where I come from I’ll say that.

Taiwan has since rescinded it! There is no longer a stand on the right walk on the left rule!

https://international.thenewslens.com/article/39124

1 Like