Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

Elevator twats get my goat. Every morning I take the elevator to the ground floor and practically every morning there is some mouth breather standing with their nose to the door when it opens who then seem massively surprised that there are actually people in the elevator looking to exit.What is so difficult about standing back from the door or to the side? These people live in a 30+ floored building, they take the elevator multiple times a day, how can they still be surprised that there are actually other people also living in the building?!

2 Likes

that totally makes sense : because the escalators here are twice as slow as elsewhere. in hong kong you don’t need to pass people on the left side because the escalator is already of an acceptable speed to get you where you need to be going.
i can understand why they have such a slow speed here, because people enjoy being monged out on their phones and travelling at zombie pace- the preferred state of being for a taiwanese person. i would like a normal speed but if they insist to keep this half speed you can see why the left side passing has to be a thing.

People trying to pull the door open while standing in front of it. They walk up to a door that says pull, they stand in front of it and pull, and then bump their toes and try to wiggle around the door.

Just reach out, pull the door open, walk through.

I don’t know if I’m this is whack for me, or whack a lot of people do it.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that a lot at the local sports center.

A lot of people just barely open the door so they can squeeze through too.

The weird part is when they see people walking in right behind them but they open it barely enough to slip in and let the door close behind them instead of just holding it for a second

1 Like

Hold the door open for someone? That’s like a come on around these parts!

I was shocked when I held a door open for a guy and his wife one time at Miramar and he gave me a genuine ‘thank you!’

Re: The closeness of people, I think people here just like to be around others and feel safer that way. It’s similar in Mexico, almost no one ever wants to be left alone. They want to be around people at all times. This notion of being alone is more of a Northern European thing.

People here wear blue or green slippers and get caught in it.

1 Like

I don’t know where they got the idea that it’s a Taiwanese-invented policy. I grew up with “stand on the right, walk on the left” in the US and the UK.

1 Like

Cool. I never saw it in NYC. It’s more like “stand where you can” there.

Funny, today I was wondering if i could do this next flight.

That can only mean that you are one of those annoying assholes who stand on the left.

1 Like

Right. That’s where I stand I mean. So wrong, but still right. What I’m getting at is that no one is more scrupulous about standing on the right side than I am. My right hip serves a polishing function for the escalator side wall because I press lightly against it, in an attempt to politely leave the maximum space for people to come through on the left. When I walk up the left side and someone is blocking it, I smile and wait patiently to reach the top. Their minor oversight is just something that happens, and I don’t get riled up about it.

2 Likes

i get riled up over it. judge me all your like from your high horse! but seriously, its basically just selfish behavior. they know they should move they just don’t want to/ expect you to.

No judging! I was just joking around, but I indeed don’t get riled about it. I didn’t think I had to hide that information :slight_smile: You can get as riled as you like!

Buckle up!

This is a sentence that I never imagined I would see in my lifetime. :sunglasses:

But shouldn’t that be in the “What’s your mental quirk” thread?

Never mind… wrong thread. Where is the delete button?

That is a 2 way street.
There is no written rule to stand to one side.
You wanting them to get out of your way serves your needs…selfish. them not thinking ahead about the flow of pedestrians and blocking the way serves their needs to be on the escalator…selfish.

Its only a few seconds to the top or bottom, slow down and enjoy life. Are a few seconds worth all the grief and stress? So much so as to find the time to vent it online?

I actually use the brush just above the steps to polish my shoes!

1 Like

That’s funny, I could swear I’ve seen signs in many US airports saying something like “walk on the left, stand on the right,” but I can find no such images. This seems to be more a matter of etiquette than a rule enforced by airport security.

Anyway, looks like you’re right … but I could swear I’ve seen them.

When I was young I was a bit prone to road rage (this is 30 or so years ago). I used to get riled up about others crossing lanes in traffic, speeding, driving exclusively in the passing lane, pretty much the full range.

One day it struck me, though, that in actuality I had no idea why some people would drive that way. I hadn’t talked to them, not at all. Maybe there was a hospital emergency, maybe they were late for work, maybe they were distracted … who could know? I’m no mindreader, after all.

One part of me said, “yeah but it can’t be all of these idiots who have emergencies, at least some of them are just morons,” but I was able to find some peace in giving everybody the benefit of the doubt. So I stopped judging the driving behavior of others, and felt a lot better as a result.

I can understand why you don’t let yourself get riled.

1 Like

what nonsense are you talking about. there is a rule, and it is their own rule. i never made it up. how about parking in the middle of the street, i guess you would say i am selfish if i want to get past but can’t due to the person blocking the street for their own needs. stop talking drivel.