Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

That’s called gridlock and it gets me crazy here. In California, where I’m from, causing gridlock is definitely illegal, but more importantly, the police actively enforce this law with huge fines. In heavy traffic, drivers know not to enter an intersection when they see blockage ahead. And the cars behind know it too so they won’t honk.

Lack of traffic law enforcement is an incredibly big problem here.

2 Likes

I see it an example of Individual vs. the System, but in an opposite way.

The left side is often near empty when there is a long line of people waiting for standing on the right side. If a few people willing to give up on a couple of 10 seconds and people standing on both sides, the efficiency of the escalator becomes higher. In addition, if people should stand on one side, handicapped people on the side would have huge difficulty and danger.

I like the option of being up to walk up on the left if I’m in a hurry or for the exercise. Seeing people standing there…well, let’s not say what I’d like to do to them. :wink:

1 Like

Good point. I am not sure what works better. Don’t think there is ever a perfect solution. Need to compare the options, think about the objectives, do experiments, collect data, crunch the data, find out which solution works better and then implement and educate. I think the people who like to stand on the escalator (and play with their phones) is the majority. People in a hurry are far less (especially when the escalator goes up). But how is the overall flow of the people with and without the stand right/walk left rule, I wonder.

The same kind of problem you have on freeways. Is it better to have strict enforcement of the rule that the left lane is only for over-taking slower cars or is it indeed more desirable to spread the cars, no matter their speed, across all lanes? Again, studies are needed to find out what works better.

1 Like

Same where I come from (a long way away from California). You can (and invariably will) get a HUGE friggin ticket for Blocking an Intersection. Entering an intersection without a clear path to exit is an automatic Fail on your Driver’s Licence test.
But here, even when there’s a friggin person (OK, taxi driver, but close enough) physically directing traffic, the dumb fucks just stand there like corpses and let the intersection fill up. At least when there’s an actual copper doing the directing, I’ve seen them stop anyone from entering the intersection when it’s not clear to exit.
But that’s pretty rare.

After posted it, I thought on a safety again. A half empty escalator may be safer than a fully filled escalator. Imo, people should give up to walk on escalators for public, handicapped people, elders and kids’ safety.

2 Likes

i don’t believe the whole standing on both sides theory would make anything more than a negligible difference. certainly not quicker than hopping down the left side, which i’ve had to do when trying to make class in time and trust me it cuts out a decent amount of time.

make them faster and put some signs up to not use phones on the escalators, now that would make a difference.

1 Like

taiwanese never get annoyed when people block their way. nope, never seen my girlfriend annoyed ever. “fat bitch”? naahhh she wouldn’t say that, shes a Taiwanese! all polite and friendly like.

1 Like

What’s super extra whack is that you can climb the stairs faster than waiting in line and then riding up the escalator.

3 Likes

that is Individual vs. the System.

which system though? the official system says you need to stand only, the system people actually use is the passing on the left system.

It’s the same when you’re hungry, want to eat but have to line up for an hour, just go somewhere else!

The main problem is that the escalators in the Taipei MRT are ridiculously slow, and the signs that warn about their supposed “high speed” are laughable. Hong Kong… now THEY have fast escalators, and I don’t even feel the need to walk on them there.

4 Likes

If only all escalators were created equal, the world would be a better place.

I was thinking of the metro system as a whole, or let’s say the system of moving people through a metro station. I think the Taipei Metro does a decent job of adjusting the way the people are moved around, avoiding bottlenecks, etc. It’s quite a task, especially during busy hours. I agree there is not really anything whack about escalators

yea i actually don’t have a problem with the MRT, i think its great. personally i would make the escalators as fast as hong kongs if i could choose. but overall theres not a lot to find fault with. originally i was talking about people who block others way but the conversation seems to have veered off as often happens.

1 Like

I don’t see that as whack at all. If you’re in a hurry, just take the stairs. :2cents:

1 Like

What’s super extra super whack is waiting in line for the escalator and then sprinting to the bus, next train, mrt…etc.

Why does every surveillance camera notice have to say “smile”