Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

P la.:nauseated_face:

Miso soup has lots of probiotics and it is very good for your stomach and overall health, including the heart. You should be taking extra Omega 3 and 6, add fish to your miso soup and sesame oil.

Have some natto!

But Icon, I love you and everything ; if I was younger and hairier I would be up to Taipei in a flash to help you take care of the animals…but I am bad and my philosophy is " I’m here for a good time …not a long time ":disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Are you suppose to microwave the natto in those white styrofoam packs?
I only like that shit hot, but I feel like it’s not supposed to be microwaved?

It’s a good source of k2 if your vegan

In Belgium we have K3, definitely not vegan.

K3

1 Like

And in Yulin, they like to have K9, most certainly not vegan. Lots of protein though.

2 Likes

Kombu (or kelp in English) is not “whack”—it’s one of the fundamental building blocks needed to make basic Japanese food. Here’s what you do with it:

1. Wipe it down with a wet cloth to clean
  2. Use scissors to snip the edges of the kelp (this is to increase surface exposure)
  3. Put the kelp in a saucepan with cold clean water
  4. Heat the pan until small bubbles are coming off the kelp; then remove kelp (this is to be done before the water boils)

OK! Now you have a foundation for broth, Japanese style. If you have katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes in English), you can then add them to this broth; keep heating to a boil; then remove flakes. Strain carefully to remove all particles to leave a nice clear broth. You are now ready to make miso soup or a myriad of other Japanese home-style dishes. Enjoy!

Guy

4 Likes

An old taxi driver made the news because he used a paper map instead of cellphone to find his way.

https://udn.com/news/story/7266/3343358?line=y

2 Likes

Dont like taking photos without permission and sticking it up everywhere.

1 Like

I am old school in this regard too. Whenever we drive to unknown areas, I consult paper maps. No need to be navigated. :slight_smile:

They still exist?

I mean those big a4 sized map books.

1 Like

Family Mart has Heineken on tap.
I’m not even kidding.

(I would have put this in Beer Alert, but…well, Heineken)

3 Likes

Yeah, Heineken is off the map!

Who drinks Heineken? Does all their revenue come from Taiwan?

In 2011, 2.74 billion litres of Heineken brand beer were produced worldwide, while the total beer production of all breweries fully owned by the Heineken Group over all brands was 16.46 billion litres globally.[13] Heineken has been sold in more than 170 countries.

21.89 billion EUR in 2017, wow.

Where I am from nobody really drinks it. I was surprised to see it everywhere in Taiwan. looks like it is very popular around the world. Maybe I’ll give it a go.

I wouldn’t, it’s pretty rank (and I drink Kaohsiung TsingTao out of the can).
Back before 2000, when TTL was part of the actual government, the only two non-Taiwan beers that could be legally imported were Heinie and Bud, and every 7-11 had them.
So certainly, the brand has a pretty strong historic foothold here.

(Having said that, lots and lots of private operators would bring in containers full of other brands and then peddle them to whatever bars they supplied, and the Mom & Pops (there were a lot more of them then) on their blue truck drivers’ routes)

Oh yeah, it’s THE beer to offer a foreigner when visiting someone! Hey, look we give you Heineken to drink.:smirk:

What’s Kaohsiung TsingTao? TsingTao is Chinese!