Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

Once sitting on my bike behind an a-yi at a red light. No one else. I don’t think she realised I was there. Nonchalantly got up off her seat and let a massive one rip

1 Like

I think they don’t no really care.
Was at this boutique mall, fancy stores and all, and a very attractive young lady just let it go without remorse too.

It’s sugar! Has the same calories, carbohydrates.

It’s just marketing, perception, it’s not healthier then white sugar.

Goes better on porridge though :ok_hand:
Actually I find the red sugar funny, since it’s caused by the confusion of 紅茶/black tea

Any sugar from any source is sugar when refined or modified. You can get sugar from onions and garlic if you want.

I could swear brown sugar tastes different

1 Like

Should be, “Teh susu mutiara gula merah”.
Brown sugars from palm or cane are called Red Sugar (Gula Merah) or Java Sugar (Gula Jawa) here in Indonesia.
In Malaysia it is referred to as Gula Perang, which would make it “War Sugar” here.

Interesting. Do you know what the etymology for that is?

That’s about it, no more. You have raw brown sugar, brown colored sugar (white sugar) coated with molasses. Depending on the refining stage it contains more or less stuff like sulfur and other minuscule amounts of minerals. Some sugars are naturally brown tinted. But in the end it’s all sugar.

Perhaps there is a member here that could shed light on it. I had always thought that it referred to the use of less refined food products during WW2, but “perang” is used generally as a synonym for “brown” in Malay. Perhaps it refers to the colour of army uniforms.
Here in Indonesia, “perang” is used exclusively to refer to conflict.

We had ‘ersatz’ coffee in Europe, it was roasted chicory beet root and roasted barley, powdered. looked like coffee, tasted a bit like it, bitter.

There is/was a Polish product like this called INKA.
Ther is also a delicious coffee & chickory blend from New Orleans.

BTW, my apologies for constantly dragging things off topic.

My grandmother used to do this, acquired taste for some. Coffee, chicory and than hand brewed drip coffee, the lady knew what she was doing.

original taiwan beer gave me a headache first time i tried it, i had 2 cans and never touched it again.

saw this on facebook and thought it possibly wasn’t such a big deal, not intentional maybe. they left out the fact that they called the place berlin though. actual wankers. the owner said he is going to leave it up too right?

Yes he did. Normally I would consider the protest justified but this time I actually find it utterly laughable that the pseudo German embassy actually had the face to say that this is hurting their feelings when their flag carrier airline puts Taiwan under China and has no intention of changing it back. Like who the fuck are you trying to kid here lmao.

The other day while in Taoyuan City I saw a mei guo ren working as a road crew construction worker, hard hat, high-vis and all.

Anyone here?

1 Like

In this heat? That’s pretty bad-ass. Hope he doesn’t end up in the hospital with heat prostration.

Wait until the Israelis get involved.