Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

OK, after some research (yes I am that bored) it seems the main reason is indeed dog urination prevention, either because of the smell and filth or because of a fear that the urine will either damage the tire (not likely) or the rim and valve (also not likely, but that’s my non-expert opinion man). Dogs seem to be particularly attracted to car tires. Well, now I know and I can go to bed at peace. :slight_smile:

I also learned that female dog urine is more acidic than male dog urine. Not sure what to do with that information, though.

1 Like

1 Like

Dog pee destroys the wheels. Look around at cars with wheels that look bad. It’s because dogs pee on them, not because of time or weather or usage.

I bet this is true. I don’t let my dog do this but he wants to because another dog already has.

1 Like

Let me do some research on stainless steel rims being destroyed by dog pee. Either the rims have a problem or dog pee is mroe destructive than I thought. We are talking rims, right, not the tire itself? I know dog poo has no nutritional value for plants, so it is not like human poo which benefits them if left in nature, but dog pee? Gotta ask the vet. Now I am curious.

Yes, urine can damage metal and paint. Dogs have a higher acidic urine because they are primarily carnivores.

Lamp posts in San Diego and San Francisco have fallen due to this. Google it.

Good luck with that, won’t be a whole lot of data available! Mild steel rims and alloys will corrode over time with constant dog pee, it can also cause staining and of course will stink after a while, plus the fact that you will likely have to step in a puddle of dog pee every time you want to get in your vehicle and mash that pee into your car interior. Once one dogs pees on your wheel every dog will want to. Luckily female dogs are less likely to do so given that their pee is more acidic.

Learning interesting facts like these is why I come to Forumosa.

5 Likes

On the flip side, you have to touch that urine-soaked cardboard every time you want to drive the car, don’t you? Or do dogs only pee on the tire, not on any protection covering it, because it is the smell of rubber that attracts the dogs in the first place? Questions over questions…

Who knows! Normally I see the tire protectors made from old election posters or some other form of advertising so they’re generally some type of plastic, perhaps the rain washes them every so often or the pee smell doesn’t soak in like it does a tire, perhaps because they typically get left in one place rather than gathering dog pee from all over…Dogs seem to preferentially pee on unprotected tires if my neighborhood is a statistically viable sample size. Whether you need to touch pee on your protectors really all depends on the height of your protector versus the size of the dogs doing the peeing…

Because she can probably take something from it? Potentially meet some people who can become her friends? Improve her English? To see if the US is as good (or bad) as people say? To see if Taiwan is as bad (or better) as people say? Would you feel better for her if today it’s her who’s always wanted to study in the States? If so, to what extent do you think her willingness has been shaped by other forms of pressure or stimulus such as media, the Taiwanese society, or her peers? In what ways are those factors fundamentally better than her parents (supposing that they aren’t the extreme type)?

I suppose I can ask each and everyone of you the same question. Why did you come here? And then? What for?

I feel like there is a bizarre stereotype that is highly popular here that all Taiwanese children are their parents’ puppets and that no one is capable of making any conscious decision. This negative stigma on family and societal pressure is pretty overblown. I’m not saying that crazy controlling parents don’t exist (they do) or that people are particularly encouraged to be free-spirited (also no), but your perceptions are often over-simplified. You could hate being forced to play piano or violin since 5, or could eventually become attached to it. You could feel like you were forced to choose this major at 18, then found some kinship in it after one or two years. I don’t think it’s automatically a worse case scenario than changing your major 3 times then finally graduating after 7 years wasted at college because you feel like a change, which happens semi-commonly in countries with free tertiary education in Europe (though I guess I’m exaggerating quite a bit here).

I guess my point here is that one is just as likely to dislike what they are told to do as what they choose to do somewhere down the road. The probability of failing is probably the same whether one’s path is carved out by oneself or by parents’ expectations. So what’s the difference between the two? You’d feel better if you screwed up your life with your own terrible decisions than if your parents made those decisions for you? You’d feel better if you’ve made it 100% yourself than under your parents’ advice? I don’t know about you, but I doubt I’d feel either of those things.

2 Likes

Can get a lot more respect and a bit more money in Taiwan with the ivy league name on the CV.

Met tonnes of folks here like that mostly single women but they usually opt for the 1 year Masters in an easy to get into college and then back to the motherland.

Of course she could have her own dreams of studying in ivy league or emigrating don’t know. Never been impressed with a lot of these folks who studied overseas mainly cos look at government officials .

Well she already went to Paris. Mostly stayed in campus.

My and then? Question is two part: she gets a degree she has been pushed into, and her efforts will not be retributed.She does not go of her own accord, but pushed by…tradition?

At least she is going to the UK as US is more expensive and time consuming and she has to come back to the eat race ASAP. But her salary and efforts won’t allow for much. She will still need to live at home. And as a woman, she will be set aside for corporate advancement.

I agree with the travel and meeting people and the whole eye opening experience. But she will stay in the circle and practice English with bank tellers.

I worry about nearly 30 year olds being told what to do by custom, by rote.

And this whack thing happened last week…

“Inmates recently reported a Taichung Prison official for forcing two inmates to write his thesis for him”
http://news.m.pchome.com.tw/science/pts/20180328/index-15221664003901208005.html

1 Like

Isn’t it possible that it’s both? She is pushed by tradition/custom, but she also would like to go? Do you know her enough to tell that she was solely pushed by her father?

Or she’d be lucky and get a better job? Decides that she’d move out when she gets back? Decides that she probably won’t come back? If she’s good enough to be admitted to an Ivy League school, even for those one year master’s programmes that are somewhat of a scam, chances are she’s a good student, at least above average, and she might know what she wants.

I feel like what you’re describing here is a caricature in your mind, not an actual person.

Well I have known her for many years, from teenager to womanhood. The weight of “success”, of proving herself to people who don’t care is heavy. She will succeed, there is no doubt, what I hope for is that she finds happiness and contentment. So far, that has eluded her.

Main issue is her family’s preference of the brother over her. So all she does is not enough…

Burn :fire:

So it’s a far more personal example then.

The way you phrased it, it felt like you were saying everyone was like this.

Nope, but it is too common for my taste. Otherwise you would not have such a prosperous market of tiny apartments no one lives in desirable school districts. Money talks.

I was waiting for my ride at Taipei Main Station when an guy (prob late 50’s) came walking out of the station with his wang out and straight pissing on the floor while he wobbled to a cab. He looked more mentally unstable than drunk, it was just gross seeing people walk over the puddles thinking it was just water.