Whale Sharks Shrinking

[quote]Whale sharks spotted off the coast of Australia are getting smaller, researchers have said.

In a decade the average size has shrunk from seven metres to five metres.

Whale sharks, the world’s largest fish, are caught for food in some east Asian countries and Australian researchers suspect this is causing a decline. [/quote]

You can read the whole story here

Once saw a chunk of whale shark for sale at Nan Ao seafood market. Very nearly garroted the seller but settled on giving him a mouthful of bile.

Sad news.

HG

Whale shark - that’s what the locals call doufu sha 豆腐鯊, right?

Yeah that’s it . . . actually I’d forgotten the name. Thanks for reminding me.

From this beautiful creature . . .

. . to this!

Then this . . .

Fucking peasants!

HG

Eat Well…be Happy!

When people can get past the “if it moves, I want to kill it and eat it” and, especially around here, “the rarer it is/more endangered it is/more impressive it looks, the better it will taste” philosophy, maybe then will mankind take a few steps forward along the path to enlightenment. Until then, we’re still in the Dark Ages. Barbarians wearing business suits. :frowning:

I rarely wear a ‘business suit’ nowadays.

And besides…whale is excellent with a side of bar-b-qued spotted owl.

TC
Capitalist Tool and newly crowned Barbarian.

p.s. - lighten up Francis…(obscure movie quote)

Do you get yours fresh or in a can?

HG

Oh…thats quite naughty…

As I was born in Alaska, perhaps I can claim ‘native’ perogative and jst saunter out to the ice floes and get my own. Maybe pick up a few seals while I’m out there.
And BTW, blubber is atrocious. Maybe its an aquired taste thing. Maybe its a “nothing else is available” thing. The latter I think.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Do you get yours fresh or in a can?

HG[/quote]

Is that real whale meat?? That can’t be legal…

I see that Japan continues to defy protests from the international community and is still commercially hunting whales under the guise of “scientific research”. :fume: :raspberry: Bastards.

Yeah that’s the real deal, in fact it’s Tesco’s canned whale meat (link below). However, it might not be whale meat cos sometimes the shifty bastards substitute dolphin for whale meat (see the wonderfully titled www.meatnews.com for more. You just can’t trust whalers, man. The whale shark chop suey is also real.

[quote]Whaling: Tesco quits minke business
Supermarket giant Tesco is taking whale meat off the shelves in its Japanese stores after we pressed them to stop supporting whaling.

In a joint campaign with the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) and the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (WDCS), we called on the UK’s leading retailer to remove all whale meat from its stores.

EIA investigations revealed that Tesco was selling canned whale meat in 32 of its 78 C-Two Network stores in Japan. Fresh whale meat was available in ten of the stores.[/quote]

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”] …sometimes the shifty bastards substitute dolphin for whale meat …
HG[/quote]

That’s just as bad, if not worse, dolphins being one of the most intelligent species on the planet. Makes me ashamed to be human…

Don’t kick yourself too hard, it’s not your fault.

Actually the Taiwanese are known to quoff the odd dolphin or ten.
In mid-January of this year, the Wildlife Protection Unit of the Council of Agriculture (COA) confiscated more than 12,000 kilograms of dolphin meat in raids in Yunlin and Taitung counties. One of the suspects in the case, Wu Wan-chiao, was arrested for violating the Wildlife Conservation Law.

From that same piece.

[quote]But Yang emphasizes that “the area of dolphin consumption is very limited.” In fact, it is mainly confined to Yunlin, and dolphins caught by fishermen from around Taiwan usually end up in that county. It is widely believed that dolphin meat has great “supplementary value” (as Chinese dietary theory puts it). Women who are still weak just after giving birth, or old people with cold limbs from poor circulation, are said to benefit from dolphin meat cooked up with ginger or sesame oil. Also, back in the days when not everyone could afford to eat pork, beef, or poultry, inexpensive dolphin meat was a source of protein for the poor.

However, after the promulgation of the Wildlife Conservation Law in 1990, this “traditional” demand became a commercial opportunity. Chen Juei-yung notes that before the law, one catty (0.6 kg) of dolphin meat fetched about NT$50-60 (pork going for about NT$75). But now that the trade is illegal, the price has jumped nearly ten times over, to NT$400-500 per catty. You can’t buy it in most ordinary markets, and only old familiar customers at seafood restaurants are “let in on the secret.” [/quote]

They’re not quite as zealous as the Japanese in their annual Futo dolphin massacre though.

Sorry for the horrid scenes, but that’s just what’s going down.

HG

Dolphins…“larger brain than humans” and “will not leave a family member in distress”. They really are our superiors.

[quote=“Mordeth”]Dolphins…“larger brain than humans” and “will not leave a family member in distress”. They really are our superiors.[/quote]I take it you don’t know any HillBillys?

[quote=“trapjaw”]That’s just as bad, if not worse, dolphins being one of the most intelligent species on the planet. Makes me ashamed to be human…[/quote]I don’t see “Made by Flipper” on my computer. Nor do I see any Dolphin made Corvettes on the highways.
Please…save your empathy for humans. Dolphins don’t really understand or care how much you are “ashamed to be a human” over their plight. And if they got hungry, they’d eat you in a New York minute.

Oh, they might be clever, but they’re not as hip as we once thought.

You see, Flipper likes to party. . .:

[quote]“Cetaceans seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in sexual activity. This may be generated by boredom in captivity, but observers in the wild tend to confirm it. Dolphins engage in love-play with almost every creature in sight - with mothers, brothers, fathers, daughters, cousins or aunts. There is even one record of a Bottlenose Dolphin masturbating with a herring”.

R. Brown, The Lure of the Dolphin, Avon: New York, 1979, quoted in Heathcote Williams, “Whale Nation”, Jonathan Cape ltd.,1988. [/quote]

. . . and party hard:

“[quote]Rape, even gang rape, is not unknown among other wild animals. But dolphins have perfected the practice. The team doing the herding is often shadowed at some distance by another. If outsiders try to steal the first team’s victim, the back-up group will come to the rescue - not of the female, but of their male friends.”

The Economist, the “Science and technology” section, “Sisterhood is powerful”, 3rd August 1991. (The author of the article is not given.)[/quote]
. . . . and doesn’t seem to know when to stop:

[quote]Sadly, those cute beeping, clicking, autistic-children

Been there, done that…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I don’t see “Made by Flipper” on my computer. Nor do I see any Dolphin made Corvettes on the highways.
Please…save your empathy for humans. Dolphins don’t really understand or care how much you are “ashamed to be a human” over their plight.[/quote]

So, I shouldn’t have any empathy for anything other than someone who can design and build computers, corvettes, etc? Great attitude man :bravo: By the way, what makes you think I have no empathy for humans because I care about animals?

Hmm, wait a second, I don’t see “made by a mentally retarded person” on my computer either. And I’ve never seen a corvette designed by, hmm, the Pygmy tribes of Central Africa. Thanks for opening my eyes man, let’s go hunt us some retards and pygmies! They don’t deserve our empathy! We’re superior to them! We can just do whatever the f**k we want to them and not feel a thing! :raspberry:

:laughing: :laughing:

The components inside might be. :laughing:

HG