Whale Sharks Shrinking

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“trapjaw”]That’s just as bad, if not worse, dolphins being one of the most intelligent species on the planet. Makes me ashamed to be human…[/quote]I don’t see “Made by Flipper” on my computer. Nor do I see any Dolphin made Corvettes on the highways.
Please…save your empathy for humans. Dolphins don’t really understand or care how much you are “ashamed to be a human” over their plight. And if they got hungry, they’d eat you in a New York minute.[/quote]Dolphins also do not understand what’s happening to them when a spear go through their gills. :s

bobepine

They’d probably think it was another attempted rape.

HG

Except they gotno gills.

[quote=“trapjaw”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]I don’t see “Made by Flipper” on my computer. Nor do I see any Dolphin made Corvettes on the highways.
Please…save your empathy for humans. Dolphins don’t really understand or care how much you are “ashamed to be a human” over their plight.[/quote]So, I shouldn’t have any empathy for anything other than someone who can design and build computers, corvettes, etc? Great attitude man :bravo: By the way, what makes you think I have no empathy for humans because I care about animals?[/quote]Didn’t say that. Thats your interp of my comment. Bring it down a notch.

Fact is, to a dolphin…you are nothing more than a toy…or, if the need arrises… a meal.
Not to say we, humanity, shouldn’t understand and appreciate our position as overseers and protectors of the creatures in our world. Just pointing out that its easy to go overboard in rubbing flippers belly while flipper is looking at us for/as his next meal.
And no…I don’t eat/hunt dolphins/whales nor advocate others doing so.
Too many other tasty tidbits available!

Hypocrites all.

Pigs are most likely not more stupid than the average whale. Should we stop eating them?

How about cattle? Born to roam the outdoors, eating grass?

:unamused:

Why give better protection to one species and not to another?

(I eat meat with pleasure and have worn cowhide pants)

Was that really necessary? :noway:

HG

Come on - Marc Bolan, leather pants they are made out of cowhide, mostly.

[quote=“Mr He”]Hypocrites all.

Pigs are most likely not more stupid than the average whale. Should we stop eating them?

(I eat meat with pleasure and have worn cowhide pants)[/quote]

I try to not eat pork due to their comparable to dog intelligence.

quote]

I don’t eat meat, and yeah, I believe that it would be great if everyone could do that too. But, I know that that’s unlikely to happen within the next thousand years or so, so… It’s up to the individual, and I’m not gonna judge, I’m just gonna try and do what I feel is right.

And TainanCowboy, “take it down a notch”? You’re the one who started with the patronising comments, man (ie, referring to “Flipper”, telling me to save my empathy for humans, that “Flipper” would eat me in a minute… Come on, do you think I’m a child?) and then go on to say that my taking offence at this is just “my interpretation” of your comments? It seemed pretty blatant to me, but whatever, I’ll let that slide.

By the way, I highly doubt that it is scientifically feasible for a dolphin to ever eye a human as prey. Maybe a killer whale, yeah, but a dolphin’s teeth are interlocking peg-type teeth that are really only suitable for holding fish, before they are swallowed whole. Dolphins don’t bite or chew their prey. And since their diet consists almost entirely of fish, supplemented by things like squid, there would be no reason to attack a human (which is vastly different in proportion, dimensions etc to most fish). A killer whale, however, preys on seals/sealions, so it may be possible that it would eat a similarly sized human.

But anyway, to apply the logic that we shouldn’t have empathy for something which would attack us or eat us is pretty ridiculous anyway. Should we not worry about protecting tigers then? And how many times have you heard of dogs attacking and killing people/children? Yet there are all of these people here dedicating their time and money to a helping a species (ie dogs, stray dogs in Taiwan) that are “potential human-killers”. I’m sure these people don’t think that that kind of logic is amusing.

ANYWAY, science aside, who said I was sentimentalizing dolphins? You just made the assumption, based on the fact that I had stated that it was terrible to be killing them because they are so intelligent. I didn’t say cute, playful, fun, etc.

I’m glad that you think we have a responsibility to safeguard the creatures of this planet, and that you don’t advocate whaling or dolphin hunting. That’s the sort of attitude which needs to be promoted around here.

Peace.

:unamused: [b]

Why give better protection to one species and not to another?[/b]

(I eat meat with pleasure and have worn cowhide pants)[/quote]You make a good point, animals are animals and while we protect some, we eat others. Sure sounds hypocritical.

I think there is a distinction to be made between the animals that we breed for consumption(a big issue on its own) and the ones that are wild. Especially the ones whose numbers are decreasing alarmingly.

bobepine

(I eat meat with pleasure and have worn cowhide pants)[/quote]

Simple:

Pigs and cattle are bred for consumption, and are in no danger of extinction.

Whale sharks inhabit specific regions of the world only and little is known of their breeding habits. The one thing we do know for sure, is that numbers are declining rapidly throughout the Pacific and Indian oceans. If Sri Lanka can abide by a No-take law (finally) then why can’t the Taiwanese leave the poor creatures alone?

Divers worldwide pay huge money to travel to remote locations just for a shot at viewing a whale shark in the wild, and the countries fortunate enough to have them plying their local waters all become top-draws in the diving/eco-tourist communities. In one local village in the Philippines for example, locals are raking in Hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in satisfying this urge, as opposed to their previous fishing activities.

There is no reason that Taiwan couldn’t join the list in so many ways…There is so much natural beauty here, both above and below the water.

In days far gone by, locals in Pingtong would hunt the Whale shark right in Kenting bay, the animals arriving in numbers to take advantage of the yearly coral spawn. The reputation for whale shark sightings was so good in the past, that in 1990 David Doubilet (for those of you on another planet, he is National Geographic’s top underwater photographer)came to Taiwan hoping to photograph some whale sharks. It was a shame to inform him that this boat had sailed some 15 years before. Needless to say, he left empty handed.

The whale shark is understudied and overfished…The days of needing to kill something so slow and large to feed an entire village are long gone.

It’s time to give the Whale Shark protected status in Taiwan.

MJB . . . I could not have expressed my thoughts on the issue better. :notworthy:

Ditto, nce one MJB.

HG

:bravo: I quite agree. :bravo:

:bravo: I quite agree. :bravo:[/quote]

Well, if they are going to put it under the protected status let me know first. I’ll buy out the supermarket then make a killing selling it back to the black market! :smiling_imp: