Whale-watching at Turtle Island

I’ve heard there will be some special whale-watching trips out at Turtle Island near the end of this month. Does anyone know anything about this? Or any tour boats that they can recommend (ones that are respectful to the animals and the environment).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You just go to Wushih Harbour and get on a boat. There’s a visitor centre there to help if you need it but on a weekend just go. I have a number somewhere of a society that monitors this and has a few operators to recommend. I’ll try to find it.

That would be great. Thank you. :notworthy:

Any luck?

What time would I need to be there to get on a tour?

Cheers!

Sean

Bugger. I offered to help, you didn’t expect results did you?

Ok, weekends I was told you should just be able to go and get on a boat. NT1000 for a 3 hour cruise. Here’s an operator: 03 978 0870

Black Tide Ocean Humanistic Education Foundation: 03 8334133 In Hualien but they may be of help in scoping out the environmental aspect. .

Bless you! :notworthy:

What about getting on Turtle Island? (I assume by Turtle Island you mean Guishan Dao in the waters off Yilan’s coast). Don’t you need to apply with a certain government agency first before being allowed on the island? Can one go hiking on the island if anyone has been to it?

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I’ve heard there will be some special whale-watching trips out at Turtle Island near the end of this month. Does anyone know anything about this? Or any tour boats that they can recommend (ones that are respectful to the animals and the environment).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

Do you also go turtle watching in Wales?

Yes, to land on the island you need to apply two weeks in advance. No real hiking on the island though you can walk around. Some areas are still restricted. If you just want to cruise around the island no permits are needed.

I went there last year or the year before. They have House of the Rising Sun on the boat’s karaoke machine, unfortunately. Saw a pair of hoopoes though, which was pretty cool.
MM, did you see my answer to you in that travel thread? Any info would be Mucha appreciated.

the latest news on turtle island

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003358131

So it looks like one would have to file 2 separate applications if one intends to hike up to the peak (the 401 Highland): one general application for landing on the island and an additional “hiking application” for the hike up 401. It isn’t exactly Mt. McKinley you know. :unamused:

the people who are processing these applications need something to do from 9am to 5pm everyday cept weekends.

Many thanks, Mucha Man; the trip was outstanding! :slight_smile: We encountered a very large pod of spinner dolphins, who breached for us, and surfed at the bow of the boat. :bravo:

If anyone is interested in going on this trip, it cost NT$899 and lasted two hours (they will stay longer but we found dolphins very quickly). Call Mr Lee on 0972 243 758. Meet in the Visitor Information Centre at TouCheng Harbour. Parking spaces are abundant. This trip left at 9.00 a.m., but I understand there are other times available depending on which day you go. Mr Lee speaks a little English, but you may need someone to translate just in case.

I thought it was a fantastic way to spend a morning. The drive took 50 minutes from ShiLin, going via Highway No. 1 to the No. 3, and then the Number 5 to Toucheng. I drove back via a swim at FuhLong Beach (31 kilometers up the coast) and late lunch at the lovely Monet Cafe in PingLin. All that and still back in time for tea! :slight_smile:

Stray Dog, those dolphin pictures of yours are so good they look fake. What sort of camera do you have?

And how far is the harbor from the train station?

[quote=“Tmesis”]Stray Dog, those dolphin pictures of yours are so good they look fake. What sort of camera do you have?

And how far is the harbor from the train station?[/quote]

Ha! Everyone says the same - I guess it’s a compliment, though really they were lucky shots. I have a Minolta Dynax 7 and I was using a Tamron 28 - 300 mm (at 28 mm most of the time) with a polarizing filter.

I’m not sure where the train station is exactly, but I can tell you the harbour is about a two-minute drive from the railway crossing I went over, and the town is small so the station can’t be far. You could probably walk it in 20 minutes or much less. Do check with someone who knows, though.

I remember you saying you were seasick?

Dude, it’s glass…You could have water-skied out there.

Pretty awesome photos for not even looking down :sunglasses:

[quote=“MJB”]I remember you saying you were seasick?

Dude, it’s glass…You could have water-skied out there.[/quote]

Ha! It was very clear there, but a bit bumpy on the way to that spot. I’m the same in a car or on a train; if I look down too long, I get a bit woozie. I envy people who can read on a long journey.

I forgot: I did also crop some of the shots to improve the composition. :wink: