What a horrible way to go

[quote]
Molten metal kills China workers

At least 32 people have died at a steel factory in China, after being showered with molten metal.

The accident happened at a plant in Tieling, in the north-eastern province of Liaoning, according to the state news agency Xinhua.

A container of steel split in two and spilled the metal onto workers who had gathered for a meeting, Xinhua said.

Rescuers were unable to get close to the scene, because of the intense heat radiated by the liquid metal.

An investigation is reportedly under way, but no details have yet been released.

The accident happened when a steel ladle, with a capacity to hold 30 tonnes of liquid metal, separated from the blast furnace.

Molten metal spilled onto the factory floor below, and flowed into an adjacent room where the meeting was taking place, the State Work Safety Administration said in a report.

All 32 people in the room were killed, while two ladle operators were injured, the administration said.

Industrial accidents reportedly killed more than 127,000 people in China in 2005.

In 2006, the government said it would spend nearly $60bn over the next five years to reduce the high death toll in coal mines and other dangerous workplaces.[/quote]

:s :astonished:

i’ve got a certain experience in burns,and i can only just begin to imagine what they been thru…
liquid metal must go thru bodies like hot knife thru butter :astonished:

I pray it was a quick death.

Instant statues. Watch for them on e-bay.

BroonAluminium

[quote=“BroonAle”]Instant statues. Watch for them on e-bay.

BroonAluminium[/quote]

Shouldn’t that be BroonAstutebusinessman ?

Anyway, yeah that is a shocking way to go. I bet it was barely reported in China too. You have to ask the question though… What price progress?

RMB3500 each including shipping.

BroonAuction

[quote=“dablindfrog”][quote]
Molten metal kills China workers

At least 32 people have died at a steel factory in China, after being showered with molten metal.

The accident happened at a plant in Tieling, in the north-eastern province of Liaoning, according to the state news agency Xinhua.

A container of steel split in two and spilled the metal onto workers who had gathered for a meeting, Xinhua said.

Rescuers were unable to get close to the scene, because of the intense heat radiated by the liquid metal.

An investigation is reportedly under way, but no details have yet been released.

The accident happened when a steel ladle, with a capacity to hold 30 tonnes of liquid metal, separated from the blast furnace.

Molten metal spilled onto the factory floor below, and flowed into an adjacent room where the meeting was taking place, the State Work Safety Administration said in a report.

All 32 people in the room were killed, while two ladle operators were injured, the administration said.

Industrial accidents reportedly killed more than 127,000 people in China in 2005.

In 2006, the government said it would spend nearly $60bn over the next five years to reduce the high death toll in coal mines and other dangerous workplaces.[/quote]

:s :astonished:

i’ve got a certain experience in burns,and i can only just begin to imagine what they been thru…
liquid metal must go thru bodies like hot knife thru butter :astonished:[/quote]

If you’ve ever been to a steel mill, you can feel the heat radiating from the furnace and form the steel coming our 20m away on your skin. :noway:

32 people huh? Is CNN going on 24 hour breaking news coverage?

don’t be silly; where’s the news value in a few dead chinese peasants? plenty more where they came from…

dead rich kids…that’s where it’s at…

glibness aside; it is amazing the frequency of these industrial accidents in china…seems to be a mine disaster every week (and thats just the ones that get reported)…

not seeing any expressions of condolences to the families of the victims either on the board…callous lot aren’t we all of a sudden…

Well, if it was 127.000 industrial deaths in 2005, and that figure is still similar, then it means that these 32 was only 10% of the people dying in industrial accidents that day. Having new-broadcast for every of the 350 or so that die daily would lead to news-fatigue.

Come on Forumosa…why isn’t this thread taking off? It should be at 5 pages by now.

Oh, wait, I know. The dead aren’t American.

ToeAntipathy

Incidentally, there is a Buddhist Hell where molten iron is poured down the mouths of inhabitants.

That’s odd. Was there molten iron when the buddhists developed the concept of hell? Chicken or egg?

i wasn’t there,but i guess for some of those it wasn’t :frowning:

is there really such thing in buddhism as hell???

i thought the whole thing was based on pink fluffy lovely can do no harm crap…

That’s odd. Was there molten iron when the buddhists developed the concept of hell? Chicken or egg?[/quote]

Good question. I have no idea. There are some great tomes of Buddhist Art in the Taipei Fine Arts Museum library. That’s where I saw the Molten Iron Hell. Steel maybe? Not sure. Maybe just saying molten metal is good enough. I mean really, is there a difference? :laughing:

Edit: Molten metal is the winna![quote]
Lady Maya further asked Earth Store Bodhisattva, "Why is that hell … Molten metal is poured into their mouths, and their bodies are bound with hot iron. …[/quote]
Well, they had hot iron, so why not molten?
brown.edu/Students/Buddhism_ … sutra.html

I’m pretty sure it would have been very quick. There was a similar accident when I worked a demolition job in a smelter one summer holiday when I was a student. It was just the two blokes, but their bodies were “frozen” like those Pompeii victims – you could even see the expressions on their faces. Apparently they’d have gone into instantaneous deep shock and a split second later their lungs would have basically imploded with the force of the oxygen getting ripped out of them by the fire.

Latest bid price is RMB 4100 each, including tin of Brasso. Funds to be deposited with Lord Lucan to pass on to local steel mill. Certificate of Origin available. Should be worth loads in the future. Ideal for placing outside of front door or banks.

BroonAgent

Steel yourselves for more bad puns, folks.

No finger pointing or nuffin’ just an observation, but isn’t it interesting how when 32 other people from the other side of the planet get their lights snuffed out in a equally horrid blow there are endless calls to respect the dead, etc, etc, ad nauseum?

Erh, the only upside in this event was, one presumes, they died with lead in their pencils.

HG

Chinese mill states safety procedures are iron clad.

BroonAlcoa