What are Kaohsiung people like, generally?

At the risk of going slightly off-topic, there seem to be two schools of thought about Kaohsiung weather.

One school says it’s actually cooler or at least more comfortable than Taipei outside the 47 days of slightly cooler weather known as winter here, the other school says nah it’s a sauna.

Would be interested in the opinions of those who live in Kaohsiung, and those who’ve lived there and elsewhere in Taiwan.

Why would you live anywhere else? Taiwan is number 1, and out of anywhere in Taiwan. Taipei is number 1. This is a fact I’ve stated many times.

Idk, I stay inside with AC and Uber everywhere right to the front of where I’m going. I burn hot. Probably because of fast metabolism.

I get there eventually, but I always like to put off turning on AC as long as possible. Once it’s on it never goes off. I prefer no AC at all, but there are limits and Hsinchu definitely provides them.

Over the summer some people here on Forumosa stated the Kaohsiung is actually cooler than up north. Piques my curiosity.

Yes…they put me in hsinchu in the middle of summer for my conscription. Like 100 guys in one room literally shoulder to shoulder sleeping with no AC. Not even as much as a fan.

Yowza, that sounds bad. Like a nightmare.

Yikes. I can imagine the smell. :open_mouth:

Kaohsiung is a tiny bit cooler in summer than Taipei (on average). Winters are not as humid and a bit warmer, which is really nice. A lot more sunshine hours.

1 Like

I’m the exact opposite, I’m a little weird.
I have and always had zero interest in living in Taipei.
Kaohsiung rents are cheaper, the people are much friendlier, lots of places now to ride bikes and enjoy the outside, less stressful environment, food is much cheaper, winters don’t suck. My next move is to Yilan.

Pollution is bad there though in the south.

2 Likes

I found it to be hotter than Taichung. Can not say much about Taipei , as it has nearly always been raining when I visit. Taichung climate would be great …if not for the pollution

1 Like

If I had to live somewhere else, it would be kaohsuing. I was born in Taipei so it’s somewhat so my hometown. But if I was to live elsewhere in Taiwan, I might consider somewhere not so city like for some fresh air and less people and noise pollution if you know what I mean.

I thought pollution is better in the south than Taipei?

Taipei pollution is from a basin, combined with scooters.

Down south its industry, like coal power. Air is usually worse in Taichung and Kaoshiung.

Thanks for the post, finley. It’s put me at ease a little bit. Not to take this thread too off topic, but what were your experiences in the Philippines? It wasn’t until I actually made the move that I started hearing and uncovering all of the negative aspects.

Whatever you do. Don’t go to Malaysia.

1 Like

South is way worse. Taipei is best.

At the risk of going slightly off-topic, there seem to be two schools of thought about Kaohsiung weather.

I someone who live in KHH (Kaoshiung) 50% of time, but takes the train at least once a week to Taipei when I am in Taiwan, I will say in general (it depends on what part of the , city you are in), Taipei CBD (Train Station for me is CBD/Central) and KHH CBD in the summer Kaoshiung is cooler with winds off the coast, in Taipei the heat from urban heat island effect keeps it quite a bit warmer. I can feel it slightly when outside 9I am in office most of day) Winter is a big difference its quite a bit warmer here, when I walk out the Taipei station it feels cold in the winter. It’s cooler now here but running the AirCon still as like it about 23-24 inside.

1 Like

I and the missus lived in Taipei for eons and are now in KHH.
in the summer, KHH is 2-4 Celsius “cooler” than TPE, and far far less humid, nearly dry-like. It was extremely noticeable after first moving here.
In winter… well TPE can be horribly frigid and damp, like living in a refrigerator 24-7. KHH nice in winter. 20+C.

2 Likes

You’ve got to be kidding.

2 Likes

Um… how long have you got? I try not to go off on rants about it, because it doesn’t really achieve much except give me high blood pressure, but if you want to look me up when you get here we can trade war stories.

Rest assured that whatever the Philippines is, Taiwan is not. In almost every respect.

Cooler than Taipei due to the basin effect.

1 Like

C’mon, @finley, we want to hear your rant!

1 Like