What are my chances of landing a job?

You are scaring me Beachboy :astonished: My Son is doing a Law Degree in the UK at the moment. If he will have to work until 65 and then consider working even longer in Taiwan, maybe Law isnā€™t paying what it used to? :ponder:[/quote]
Oh my oh my.
Not a good job market with a J.D.

The OP will definitely be able to get a job and thereā€™s even a chance that itā€™s decent initially since he has an English degree. Most likely it will take a year or two to find something halfway reasonable. Perfect jobs are the exception and even those arenā€™t stable long-term.

Funny thing! I was just told I was overqualified to teach English in Taiwan! I guess itā€™s the 24 years practicing law

There HAS to be a niche market for teaching law to kindergarten kids in Taiwan. You just have to dig deeper. Maybe put up an advert outside Grandma Nittis? Jai-yo!

[quote=ā€œGlowingYoungRuffianā€]As of now, I am planning on moving to Taipei in the next couple of weeks so that I can find a job teaching English. Iā€™ve read several article saying that itā€™s best to actually go to Taiwan and find a job, rather than trying to land one before entering the country. And while this makes sense, Iā€™m worried that this advice might be a bit dated and not reflective of the current job marketā€“especially after seeing some of the recent posts on this forum. So, to those who probably know the market best, what are my chances of landing a job?

Iā€™m 23. Iā€™m a native English speaker (US). I have a BA in English, but not certifications or real experienceā€“though I have done some tutoring.

Iā€™m truly desperate for honest, well-informed advice because I donā€™t want to make this trip a short vacation. I really want to get to know Taiwan.

Thanks![/quote]

Oh my, donā€™t listen to some of the posts below yours.

As far as Iā€™m aware, the current job market is fine, not explosive, but just fine.

ā€œThereā€™s no economic incentive to coming here for ESL work.ā€

Iā€™m leaving Taiwan after 3 very happy years at the end of October and in the time Iā€™ve saved around $38,000 USD. This wasnā€™t me penny pinching either, I also bought a shiny new Mac Air, complete new suite of very expensive photography gear, paid off my student debt and have been on 4 diving trips to the Philippines, a trip to Japan, HK several times and Macau. While Iā€™ve been doing this Iā€™ve also lived in a great apartment in Kaohsiung on the 21st floor with an ocean and mountain view and a swimming pool downstairs. I donā€™t think Korea offers the same standard of life even if the money is a bit better, Japan is definitely nowhere near this money wise and in China, who knows.

Now, while I havenā€™t been in budget mode, clearly, I have worked my ass off doing 35-40 hour weeks, to which people are always aghast (people whoā€™ve obviously never had a job outside of ESL). When I came here in 2010, the same doomsayers were telling me the same tired whiney story, as I lived here for a while I came to realise these people are completely out of touch with whatā€™s happening on the ground and usually approaching their shelf life in the teaching world.

This summer I finished up my kindy job of 3 years and managed to find another immediately, without any difficulty. Iā€™d recommend getting on the websites for where you want to go and also more recently the facebook groups like ā€˜kaohsiung subbingā€™ or its equivalent in Taipei, scope them out, send a few resumes. When youā€™re here, get pounding the pavement, itā€™s not hard to find buxibans, just go on Google Maps and find elementary and junior high schools and you will find theyā€™re surrounded by a cluster of buxibans and sometimes kindergartens.

Come with enough cash for 2 months (I was spending 15,000TWD for the first few months while I got set up) and take the first job you get, then start looking for something better. Hang out at western bars, with your co-workers and youā€™ll be away. With my jobs, my adult school I got because I went door-to-door (and I have a CELTA) and my kindy job I got through a very good agent.

It seems scary, but itā€™s really not, once the pay checks start coming in you will realise what a great decision youā€™ve made, and as everyone kept telling me in my first few weeks of ā€˜Iā€™ll never get a job!ā€™ panic, life is very very easy here. Iā€™d also suggest not just tying yourself to Taipei.

Good luck!

tomā€¦ glad to hear your success storyā€¦ I was thinking about taking a kindy job on top of the job I already have in order to add more hours. Then I was reading that it is illegal and that I could be deported on another forum post. Any dangers in the kindy teaching world I need to look out for? How did you find all that time to be with the little munchkinsā€¦ I imagine kindy teaching is pretty basicā€¦? Thanks for any infoā€¦

Itā€™s true that itā€™s illegal, but make your decisions based on the risks vs the benefits.

The risk is deportation and I think, a fine, but Iā€™ve only heard of this happening second hand, in my 3 years in Kaohsiung it didnā€™t happen once that Iā€™m aware of. The government knows this happens, when they inspect schools theyā€™re more interested in the teachers registered with immigration vs the teachers in school at that time, rather than if foreigners are teaching kindy kids - most kindys have anchinbans or buxibans attached or affiliated with them so they register you for those classes to allow you to be on site and teaching. When immigration comes knocking, you usually get forewarning.

In short the greater concern is wanting to be sure that the school isnā€™t handing out ARCs for cash or favours.

Teaching kindergarten can be the most rewarding classes of all, provided you have the one class for a minimum 2 hours a day, the variety of teaching maths, art, science, music is far more stimulating than straightforward English. The kids also want to be there, itā€™s fascinating watching them grow and develop not just their language skills but also their personalities and cliques. The relationship with parents is also much tighter, I got showered with gifts, dental care, medical care, dinners, you name it.

As you can tell I thoroughly enjoyed it and in my eyes itā€™s more than worth the risk, but thatā€™s your decision to make.

The time is easy to find since kindy hours are the opposite of buxiban hours for the most part. There is always a kindy job with morning hours (9-11am) available. Kindy teaching is fairly easy. It requires some prep work but there is no homework to grade (shouldnā€™t be anyway). It does require that you are the right kind of person to teach kindy. And I am definitely not the right kind of person. I subbed kindy for a couple of weeks and HATED IT.

Another option to add more hours (if you have the time free) is to watch out for a 2-4pm gig teaching 1st/2nd graders.