What are my chances of landing a part time English teaching position with no contract?

Hello all,

I currently live in the U.S. and intend to move to Taiwan by the end of February to teach English for a bit. I have a few questions / concerns.

Background:
I’m an Asian American male in my mid twenties who can speak fluent Mandarin. I have a BBA degree with no teaching experience and certificates. Everything on my resume is related to IT. I’ll be able to work legally in Taiwan without any company sponsorship.

From my research, it seems the best places for people with no experience are the big chains. The problem is they require contracts which isn’t suitable for me. Staffing firms also seem to have a bad reputation.

What are my chances of landing a part time English teaching position with no contract?
What can I expect to get?
What route is suggested for people with no experience? I’m looking in Taipei and neighboring areas.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Why is it so hard for some people to say ‘Im a Taiwanese national’.

I’m not a Taiwanese national. I only have a U.S. passport. My legal status is not a concern

How will you be able to work legally in Taiwan without any company sponsorship if you are not Taiwanese?

I’m concerned about your legal status.

[quote=“zender”]How will you be able to work legally in Taiwan without any company sponsorship if you are not Taiwanese?

I’m concerned about your legal status.[/quote]

Marriage

Thank you for your concern. Is there a difference in what kind of jobs I can get depending on how legal status is obtained?

Hell yeah…and that’s a mighty big detail to leave out from the intro.

Fortunately marriage to a Taiwanese national allows you to apply for a JFRV which then allows you to receive an open ARC work permit and work in most job categories in Taiwan without employer sponsorship.

This therefore allows you to be more flexible in your working arrangements, on employer sponsored visas you need to receive official approval for each school you work for. With the open ARC work permit you do not have this issue.

I think he knows that HH. He said specifically “I’ll be able to work legally in Taiwan without any company sponsorship.”