What are my options for staying in Taiwan?

Hi, i’ve been reading up this forum and getting alot of useful informations, but there are still many unanswered queries drifting in my brain about visa runs. here’s my situation:

i’m a singapore citizen, graduated in design field and 25 olds, and my mum is a taiwanese. I wanted to work and live in taiwan because i find taiwan’s environment(certain aspects) more interesting. So the advernture starts when i search around for some ways to get here and work here.

1. get a job and get work permit
  2. get taiwan citizenship or PR through relationship with my mum
  3. get a wife in taiwan and get a work permit

i tried all these in the correct orders but here are the outcomes,

1. got a job in design field but to my surprise i was inform by the company who wants to employ me saying that my wages have to be 48000NT dollars per month AND his company needs to earn 100,000,000NT dollars per year in order to apply work permit for me. Sadly that leaves me no choice because the company could have hired 2 guys with the wages he used to hire me and the company doesnt earn so much money anyway. Lastly, fresh grads like me doesnt have any experience to offer for their job. This option was out.

2. 2nd option looks promising but after running bereau for a few times, i realised that this options only applies for child who is under the age of 20 and so i cannot rely on my mum’s status to get into taiwan.

3. okay, i’m not any casanova of that sort so getting a wife isnt possible too, yet.

My ideas from the forum:
i’ve read about a tread saying that aliens residing in taiwan legally for 183 days for up to 5 consecutive years could apply for resident or some sort, does that applies to coming into taiwan with landing visas(30days) for more than 6 mths, clean records? I’m quite curious about this because i have a fishy feeling that this 183 days of stay in taiwan must be accompanied with ARC status. IF any one has any deeper info pls share around?

i’ve check with an england guy saying that teaching in taiwan would require the teacher being a native speaking country citizen, ie canada, usa, europe etc… have anyone come across any schools that accept teachers with BA degrees BUT not of native speaking country(mine being singapore) and assist the teacher in getting visas and arcs etc? i know that there are taiwanese teachers who speaks even better than foreign teachers and getting a non native speaking teacher would be of out of sense, but i just wanna try my luck here.

In the mean time searching for job in taiwan, i might need to apply for 60 day multi entry visa so i have time to hunt around for jobs or solution. Sadly, singapore teco doesnt seems to be friendly enough to allow me to get such visa as they got suspicious. So i’m gonna go hong kong or macau to do this visa run. can any one direct me to a tread for “visa run walkthru” because i’ve search the forum but jus cannot find a complete guide to this topic. In addition, if i go hong kong for the visa, can i depart from kaohsiung? does KH have a visa issuing counter that issue the visa after i get the reciept from hong kong? Because most cases for “exchanging receipt to visa” i’ve seen in this forum is through CK airport.

I’ve seen a post saying that itinerary for forward ticket from taiwan is required for visa application and that ordering online and printing out the order can be consider itinerary for the forward ticket. Has anyone have experience with this? i know i sound newbie, but i would really appreciate if anyone could share their experience such as with china airline or eva and how does the order form that hong kong Teco accepts look like?

i’ve also considered about taking up chinese lessons (but not actually really studying there) and get visa and arcs using student status, can any kind souls share these private school’s full details?

Does anyone has any better idea to stay in taiwan??? actually, i do feel like getting a english teaching job tat doesnt takes up too much time jus to take care of the residing taiwan issue and work freelance on my design speciality. Any better suggestions and advises are greatly appreciated! I don have that amount of money to open up a design firm in taiwan, so don mention about investing here.

thanks all in advance!

Naldar 54 EQ Wizard,
I cant believe i’m going thru this epic quest… FOR REAL

AFAIK that’s an exaggeration but doesn’t help you much. I met a (Taiwanese) designer in my gym last night, and he was lamenting the poor state of his industry right now. I’d be surprised if you could get design work anywhere right now, never mind as an immigrant. Maybe look at some kind of internship?

[quote=“Naldar”]My ideas from the forum:

1. I’ve read about a tread saying that aliens residing in taiwan legally for 183 days for up to 5 consecutive years could apply for resident or some sort, does that applies to coming into taiwan with landing visas(30days) for more than 6 mths, clean records? [/quote]

Nope. I looked into this quite thoroughly a while back. Student visas of any kind are also unacceptable. At last check it was 5 years for citizenship, 7 years for permanent residency or 3 and 5 respectively if you’re married to a Taiwanese citizen.

[quote=“Naldar”]2.
I’ve check with an England guy saying that teaching in taiwan would require the teacher being a native speaking country citizen, ie canada, USA, Europe etc…[/quote]

You would have a hard time getting an English teaching job as a Singaporean national. The first thing many employees would think is ‘Singlish’ (sorry, couldn’t think of any other way of putting it - no offense intended!)

You may have a hard time x 2 from what I’ve heard about the HK office. Still, here is a guide to the HK run. Unless you’re American, you will NOT get a multi entry visa without a specific need such as business. Thought about starting a business out here? (I’m serious).[/quote]

Seems to vary case-by-case. Really depends on what visa you’re gunning for, what your backstory is and how you present yourself. I remember having to provide evidence of a return ticket to apply for a student visa, but afaik this problem is most likely to rear its head at the immigration desk. When I came to Taiwan on a student visa a few years back, I got the third degree at immigration. This time I came wearing a suit and a multi-entry visitor visa and got waved through without a word. All adds to the equation.

Is Mandarin already one of your native languages? You will not get a visa by paying some crackerjack school to stamp some forms for you, especially as the government is really cracking down on this sort of thing now. If you really DO want to study Mandarin and/or Taiwanese, the cheapest and most relaxed option is NTNU. Ten hours per week is the minimum attendance for a student visa, and you WILL get kicked out if you don’t have acceptable grades or skip all your classes.

My suggestion: set up a business. There are ways of setting up an office in Taiwan without huge investments, but your success would depend on how you carry yourself. Government offices will have a hard time believing you are a businessman if you don’t look and act like one. I would be hestitant to encourage you any further on these lines if you planned to register an office then just work illegally, as this kind of thing affects everyone (like me) with legitimate businesses in Taiwan.

If your mother is Taiwanese, why isn’t she making calls to MOFA etc. to find out more about relationship-based visas? Other Forumosans can no doubt give you much better information than I on JFRV requirements etc.

Good luck!

Whew, you owe me a beer after that lot :slight_smile:

Good questions from Naldar and good answers from llary.

This NT$48,000 dollar minimum monthly salary requirement was brought in last year. Nobody seems to know who made the decision or what it is based on. In my case, it has cut off a lot of options e.g. working for not-for-profit organisations or small or start-up companies. Also, the Council on Labor Affairs warned me that the tax office will assume that you are earning at least NT$48,000 and tax you accordingly even if your real income is less than that.

My girlfriend applied for her company to employ me and then stumbled on the minimum capital requirement - her company being too small. Needless to say she couldn’t have really paid me NT$48,000 anyway.

It’s tough. Frankly, I would stay in Singapore or go to mainland China if I were you. I have been considering both those options myself.

IIary, Juba, thank you for giving some feedback to my queries. And i’ll get u a booze while reading this :laughing:

If setting up business is a possible solution, have u have any details regarding setting up business in taiwan, IIary or anyone have experience with business in taiwan? That would prove to be useful to me though i doubt that i have the capability, or the captital for the business venture.

Sometimes, humans are just not satisfied with the things they have. Many may see singapore as a stable, disaster free country to stay in, but to me i really find that the lifestyle there is more or less similar to a walking deadman. China perhaps is the next best choice, but i jus like taiwan, at least for now.

Actually, design industry isnt all too bad in taiwan, theres still a good potential market here mainly because taiwan does try to keep up with the fashion and IT trend. Most of all, if u can be creative and innovative, taiwan is still a good place to start some farny ideas.

Anyway, i wont give up so easily as i believe there are still many loopholes to exploit this ridiculars rules and bindings, thats the challenge too. I’ll still keep myself update on this forum for more ideas.

Naldar 54 EQ Evoker
“I seems to recall the days when I’m only level 10 and finding means and ways to get to lower Guk to retrieve a ward for my epic staff…”

Hold your hats folks… I’m just in the last week of setting up a rep. office in Taiwan and as promised I’ll be posting the Complete Guide To How It Was Done.

I still think that your mother is possibly the best key to you getting a more secure foothold in Taiwan though?

[quote=“Naldar”]IIary, Juba, thank you for giving some feedback to my queries. And I’ll get u a booze while reading this :laughing:

If setting up business is a possible solution, have you have any details regarding setting up business in taiwan, IIary or anyone have experience with business in taiwan? That would prove to be useful to me though I doubt that I have the capability, or the captital for the business venture.

Sometimes, humans are just not satisfied with the things they have. Many may see Singapore as a stable, disaster free country to stay in, but to me I really find that the lifestyle there is more or less similar to a walking deadman. China perhaps is the next best choice, but i jus like taiwan, at least for now.

Actually, design industry isnt all too bad in taiwan, theres still a good potential market here mainly because taiwan does try to keep up with the fashion and IT trend. Most of all, if u can be creative and innovative, Taiwan is still a good place to start some farny ideas.

Anyway, i wont give up so easily as I believe there are still many loopholes to exploit this ridiculars rules and bindings, thats the challenge too. I’ll still keep myself update on this forum for more ideas.

Naldar 54 EQ Evoker
“I seems to recall the days when I’m only level 10 and finding means and ways to get to lower Guk to retrieve a ward for my epic staff…”[/quote]

Not sure, but I think it’s 10,000,000NT. Anybody knows for certain?

Simon

As far as I know, it’s US$1,000,000. There are ways around this by establishing different forms of company. I have the exact figures tucked away somewhere but there seems little point digging them out since it’s moot.

Not sure, but I think it’s 10,000,000NT. Anybody knows for certain?

Simon[/quote]

Aye, my bad, i added an extra Zero. It can be confusing sometimes when taiwan people use WAN4(10k) to count money instead of thousands and millions. The correct annual total revenue should be $10,000,000NT dollars, or $5,000,000NT for company that has been established for less than 1 year.

IIary, i’ll be your first reader to your CGTHIWD once its up :notworthy: I trust that you wont make me wait too long, ya? :wink:

As for settling in Taiwan thru my mum’s citizenship, i’ve checked a couple of times with the foreigner’s counsil burea or whatever u call that, the replies were negatives. The following methods are ways to follow taiwanese parents:

1. i have to be 20 years old or below in order to follow my mum or dad(who are citizens of taiwan, either one of them), the applications are pretty straightforward for that, but a sad news is, if u are a guy, u have to go for a 1 year plus national service. I dont intend to go for sex transplant, neither am i able to turn 6 years younger, so this option is out for me.

2. if i’m born in taiwan, but became other countries’ citizen, in the end i decided to return taiwan, i can actually jus present your birth cert, show proof that my parents are taiwanese and i can apply for temporary ROC passport at my home TECO and enter taiwan with that passport. This option has no restriction on age. And after i have optain ARC and stayed in taiwan for a certain no. of years, i can convert to taiwan citizen. And of cos, for guys, i have to again serve the country for 1 year plus. Sadly i’m not born in taiwan, again not this option for me.

Correct me if there are any wrong informations because this is what i remember off my head.

Anyway, i really look forward to other ways to settle down in taiwan apart from the ways i know, legally of cos. Its really sad to know that taiwan’s government put in so much effort on restricting foreigners working here. Many taiwan locals say that the foreigners are here to compete with the locals’ ricebowl, but i feel that competition improves the nation. If taiwan people are jus contented with what they have, they might not improve alot. On the other hand, if taiwan are able to nurture talents, they do not need to be afraid of foreigners. Just to share my point of view, not inviting for a debate :stuck_out_tongue: Well of cos, comments are welcome!

Another option is that even if you weren’t born in Taiwan, but made it on your parent’s household registration certificate, you can claim ROC nationality, following step 2 procedures.

They may not tell you that, but I know it works :wink: