What are people in Taiwan's opinions about hypnosis?

Bismark is a girl?

Can you hypnotise my boyfriend without him knowing so that he will put out more than once a month?

There are a number of “famous” hypnotists in Taiwan . . . a few of them are actually quite good at what they do and some are as cracked as a pot can get.

Hypnosis in Taiwan has a strong “spiritualist” tint to it in the public eye as well as among hypnotists. Quite a few hypnotists do past life regressions and more (as do I - I teach an whole course on metaphysical hypnosis with a critical approach and we do the whole slew of effects with an emphasis on what is called “clean sesison approach” but that’s a digression as most folks here don’t really have a critical factor when it comes to such things and tend to accept things as psychic or supernatural when they shouldn’t (once took thirty minutes to convince a group that I have no “supernaural powers” as they’ve seen too many hypnotists on TV here make claims of such poers) . . . of course, since I can seemingly “read minds” it makes it even harder for me to convince 'em (see the first few “Walkabout Trance” videos at briandavidphillips.com for some mentalism effects I use in entertainment hypnosis - the Walkabout was held at the Taipei Zoo and Zoo Mall). :slight_smile:

There is a woman hypnotist who appears on television quite often claiming her hypnosis is “stonger” than anyone else’s because she is an incarnated goddess so when she hypnotizes people they go into the depths of hell where the illness is being caused and all the evil spirits are afraid of her because she’s a goddess so people get better. There is a technical term for this approach and the initials are BS. Unfotunately, hypnosis has been colored by the demagouges and whackjobs.

However, there are a number of highly skilled and sensible people doing hypnosis here as well.

Hypnosis can be very worthwhile for migraines . . . a reputable and ethical hypnotist would ask that the person first go to a doctor. If the doctor finds nothing physical causing the migraines then hypnosis will most likely do wonders . . . particularly stress-related headaches. If the doctor finds something, then do whatever your doctor tells you to do and use the hypnosis to supplement that treatment. There are a number of studies that show relaxation, visualization, and hypnosis are very powerful for health issues of this type (see the “hypnosis in the news” section of my blog for a number of references).

Hypnosis is not helpful for date rape . . . rohypnol would work faster . . . hypnosis requires consent and interest. However, hypnosis is a wonderful addition to a couple’s romance and intimacy and sensuality and sexual life . . . see the course I will be teaching the week of Valentine’s Day this coming February on Couples Hypnosis for Romance, Sensuality, and Intimacy. For seduction, hypnosis is less useful than other influence modalities such as Neurolinguistic Programming . . . although one can do an instant orgasm effect with waking suggestion that a lot of folks enjoy.

There is no need to hypnotize someone not to love you. However, hypnosis can certainly help someone come to terms with the reality of their relationship . . . good or bad . . . so they can develop resources to move on.

Recently in Taiwan a number of hypnotists have been in the news because of a couple incidents involving a rather famous hypnotist who demonstrates one of the common characteristics of deep trance, spontaneous pain desensitization. He does this by stabbing a subject with a needle. Unfortunately, he does this without permission. One of his television subjects became angry that he would stab a person without permssion and has lodged a complaint. Rather than learning from his mistakes, the guy turned around and did it again on another show. I am friends with one of his students and the student told me that he does the same thing in classes. A number of hypnotists have been asked by the media about this and most have criticised him. Actually, I know that some of the folks who’ve been quoted as saying it’s unethical have been doing this sort of thing in their own classes. Personally, I’ve been on record against any demonstration of pain techniques to the public as entertainment. Pain relief techiques are very powerful but they should not be treated as entertainment. There are plenty of other ways to impress people. If I hypnotize someone to forget their name or to stick their arm to their head without being able to detach it or to have a powerful orgasm every time I touch my nose, most people will be pretty impressesed. Or, if I just run an instant induction and guide a person through a simple stress relief process in a few moments that helps them adapt to their life problems. No need to stab anyone . . . with or without permission.

Of course, there is also good publicity for hypnosis in the news here. One of my friends was recently in the news because she worked with a television personality who had been diagnosed with cancer and she used hypnosis to appropriately supplement the doctor’s care and the woman found herself responding much more powerfully to treatment so that the cancer went into remission. Remission rates are much higher for folks who use hypnosis (see my blog for a number of essays on this topic).

I run a workshop in Taipei for local hypnotists (beginners and advanced) that meets about once a month to introduce techniques or topics and then all the hypnotists practice the processes. My workshops are in English - see briandavidphillips.com you will note the Taiwan Hypnosis Resources or Links section with links to webpages operated by other Taiwan-based hypnotists. Caveat Emptor as some folks are highly competent and a whole slew of others are not. Same as the hypnosis field anywhere else.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to drop me an email at phillips@nccu.edu.tw . . . I hope this has been helpful.

All the best,
Brian

Do this with him . . . briandavidphillips.libsyn.com/in … t_id=21981 for an idea of how that works then run it with him but use “erotic feelings” to create the anchor . . . while he is associated into the erotic feeling, gently stroke him behind the neck or blow behind his ear or whatever is appropriate . . . this actually is a quick way to condition him to feel “romantic” when you fire off the anchor. Not really formal hypnosis, but I assume you’re more interested in effect than cause.

If you need more . . . we’ve discussed this in the what turns men/women on threads . . . or go to the erotic and sexual hypnosis section of my blog . . . or . . . take my workshop on couples hypnosis as I will be teaching folks how to do that stuff and a whole lot more in early February. :rainbow:

I assume the question was asked at least in part in jest . . . but, I answered it anyway as it’s a topic area that interests me.

All the best,
Brian

I’m getting sleepy.

How easy is it to do mass auto-hypnosis (if that’s the correct term)? My wife attended a meeting last night at the new Eslite held by some guy selling his new book about something called “message therapy.” That’s how it was translated from Chinese, at least. From what I understand, he basically chooses “special” flowers, doesn’t pick them but just dips them in water, then puts the water, mixed with alcohol into a little bottle. You’re apparently supposed to just hold onto the bottle and depending on what kind of flower it was, it’ll cure what ails ya.
My wife tried it and said she “felt something.” I refrained from saying “Yeah. A right pillock.” I think it’s a load of crock and that the guy was doing some kind of auto-suggestion schtick on them (he also sells the bottles of “flower essence” and “therapy sessions” for a couple of grand a pop.
What’s the likelihood of this being real or just a scam? Apparently they do this in Europe and the states too. Anyone heard of it before – it’s nothing like aromatherapy or anything like that, as far as I understand.

Well…let’s try!

You are getting very sleepy…
Give me all your money…

Nope! Didn’t work! Damn!

Thanks Meiguolangren, thanks everyone, Such A Fob I guess Meiguolangren answered your question. Hehe.

Thanks for your posts meiguolangren.

About migraines, I have a question if I may. My understanding is that hypnosis is used as a way to prevent and maybe even cure migraines. Can it be used to actually alleviate a migraine attack though? In other words, can you hypnotise someone to stop feeling the pain when they are experiencing a migraine attack?

bobepine

[quote=“sandman”]How easy is it to do mass auto-hypnosis (if that’s the correct term)? My wife attended a meeting last night at the new Eslite held by some guy selling his new book about something called “message therapy.” That’s how it was translated from Chinese, at least. From what I understand, he basically chooses “special” flowers, doesn’t pick them but just dips them in water, then puts the water, mixed with alcohol into a little bottle. You’re apparently supposed to just hold onto the bottle and depending on what kind of flower it was, it’ll cure what ails ya.
My wife tried it and said she “felt something.” I refrained from saying “Yeah. A right pillock.” I think it’s a load of crock and that the guy was doing some kind of auto-suggestion schtick on them (he also sells the bottles of “flower essence” and “therapy sessions” for a couple of grand a pop.
What’s the likelihood of this being real or just a scam? Apparently they do this in Europe and the states too. Anyone heard of it before – it’s nothing like aromatherapy or anything like that, as far as I understand.[/quote]Sandman -
This sounds like some type of “vibrational” theraphy stuff. The theraputic value comes from some type of healing vibrational thing given off by the flower ‘essence’. You tell 'em your problem and they match up a suitable flower essence to help relive/remove/counter-act what ails ya.
I’ve seen this quite a bit in the ‘natural products’ biz.
There is a well known company - BACH Flower Remedies - that uses this theory with their healing/theraphy flower essence products. Some people swear to their effectiveness. I dunno. If it helps them…OK.
Sounds like this type of thing.
People also rub rocks on their bellies. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…of course.

I was hyphotized by meiguolangren and it was great.

It isn’t mass hypnosis per se (auto-hypnosis is “self-hypnosis” when a person hypnotizes himself). This is certainly a form of influence or social persuasion, just as any communication is influence based. While there are probably folks who will disagree with me, I would chalk it up to suggestion, a form of influence that is also employed in hypnosis. I tend to lump most “energy” therapies and the like into suggestion as well so consider me a critical onlooker for this sort of thing. Your wife “feeling” something may indicate that she’s highly imaginative and a focused person . . . able to imaginatively step into a suggested effect. This is not the same thing as gullible but some folks are gullible and when they’re both gullible and suggestible, look out. Take a look at the video of me doing an “energizer” pattern with a young woman at the Taipei Zoo (this is a walkup so I had never met the girl before) . . . http://www.youtube.com/w/?v=096kDoQZRIY . . . now, when I run the pattern, I am framing it as an “imaginative suggestibility game” but I have seen the exact same type of pattern run with folks claiming they were channelling chi to animal magnetism (mesmeric energy), lifeforce to reiki to physical prayer to spirit energy to alien influences (yes, really). Personally, I’ll take the imaginative suggestibility explanation. While flowers are awfully pretty, the pattern sounds much like other “influence” or channeling types of therapies which tend to have more to do with mental engagement and intensified imaginative involvement than actual measurable energy forces . . . in my opinion. I certainly do not intend to insult anyone’s religious or metaphysical beliefs, but that’s my take.

My guess is that the flower guy is using standard influence or persuasion couched in language that engages the imagination and then the effect takes place in part because of suggestibility and social compliance factors. He is probably not even doing this knowingly - probably using the same language and demonstration as it was demonstrated for him. Not mass hypnosis per se but mass influence. I prefer to think of hypnosis as a more formalized trance context although some folks use simple trance as a definition of hypnosis which makes it much more broad and what you saw fit that broad definition of hypnosis.

BTW, if your wife did feel the effect and you did not, then she may be more responsive to certain beneficial suggestion games and the like. Run the “energizer” pattern from the video with her and see how she responds. :slight_smile: Other more straightforward suggestibility and imagination games are at http://briandavidphillips.typepad.com/brian/2004/02/suggestibility_.html (these are straightforward and listed in order of difficulty - they can all be a lot of fun). Note, they are all overt consensual sets and need to have a person’s permission and concentration as well as active imaginative involvement for them to work.

While there are hundreds of movies and books which claim hypnosis works this way (I just read a novel where the protaganist uses covert hypnosis to get a bad guy to commit suicide by jumping off a chair and breaking his back), it doesn’t. There have been many movies where folks have been hypnotized to give up their goods and every once in awhile someone will use it as a defence in a murder or robbery case (a recent case in Latvia has a teller blindly handing over the bank’s money to a mysterious hypnotist which made international news - what didn’t make the headlines was that the police caught up with the guy who walked off with the money and discovered it was the teller’s boyfriend). To date, there have been no legal cases where hypnosis has been the root for a person to commit a crime or give up theri money - influence and other strategies of cheating, yes, but not hypnosis.

Having said that . . . yes, it is possible to use trance or language in a way that increases the likelihood of someone doing something . . . however, overt hypnosis won’t do it . . . tons of research studies have shown that when you tell someone to do something against their values or better judgement in hypnosis they won’t (stage hypnosis is a mild exception in that the folks are fully aware that the suggestions are part of an entertainment) . . . however, you can use influence and other sets to change their values incrementally (the same as any form of communication, just more powerfully so when using trance based influence). If a person knows they are being hypnotized, then they won’t violate their values . . . but sometimes people blindly do stupid things without thinking (one of my adult students from Taipei went to London once and handed over his billfold and passport to a stranger who then walked off with everything never to be seen again simply because the guy was wearing a suit and tie and approached him as he was getting off a train and said “excuse me, sir, I’m with the transit authority and I am going to need your documents and identifications, everything, right now, thank you, wait here for a moment and I’ll be right back” and he turned and walked away - - - this may seem like a pretty stupid trick to fall for and some folks may think my student’s a bit of an idiot but he’s not, he’s an administrator in a top high school in Taipei and is well over fifty and been around the block but the conman was using very simple influence sets, most specifically what Robert Cialdini calls the Law of Power where folks blindly fall into obedience and acceptance sets when presented with requests from authority figures, right or not (if you’re not familiar with Cialdini’s work on social influence, it is well worth reading).

The guys in India last year who claimed to have their money taken from them by evil street hypnotists found solace in blaming powerful supernatual forces like hypnosis so they could take from themselves the rather embarrassing onus of having been cheated by a simple con.

Of course, sometimes what appears to be one thing may be something else . . . take a look at Derren Brown’s The Heist . . . while he says he’s not using hypnosis, he is, but while he says he has brainwashed the participants into robbing an armored car, he is utilizing a magician’s effect called dual reality . . . however, it is fascinating watching . . . there used to be a copy of the whole thing on youtube but it seems to have been taken down now. If you can find a copy, you will see that he uses both some mentalist and magician’s tricks as well as some real hypnosis and neurolinguistic programming along with influence sets to get people to do what he wants them to do (the “chi” attack is obviously a form of covert suggestibility similar to the flower essence effect or the energizer pattern but much more visually powerful).

So, no, someone can’t hypnotize you to give them your money . . . unless, you want to give them their money anyway . . . or, you don’t know they are using influence on you in the first place. Yes and no on that one.

I can say with complete confidence and absolute authority . . . yes, no, and sometimes . . . anyone who tells you that hypnosis will absolutely cure migraines is being irresponsible (notice doctors don’t make such absolute claims). It can help and with some folks it will indeed eliminate the migraines completely. For those with whom it may not completely eliminate the headaches, it will certainly offer relief. If the migraines are stress related or emotional effects then hypnosis will definately help and will most likely result in elimination of the migraines and the stress issue (the stressors may still be in one’s life but you can learn better adaptive strategies to deal with them).

If complete relief doesn’t happen, yes, you can learn techniques that will lessen and shorten attacks - there are techniques appropriate for medical and/or emotionally triggered migraines. Many people who suffer from migraines have on-set sensations that tell them one is coming. At those times, they can use triggers or anchors that prepare the body and mind in a way that lessens the sensation or perception of severity of the attack. For those who do not have such on-set cues, there other adaptive strategies which can be helpful. Every individual is different so any hypnosis approach is going to be tailored to the context and responsiveness of the client. What works for you may not be appropriate for someone else or vice versa.

Always check with your doctor first before seeking hypnosis or any other treatment for headaches or other pains. If there is a medical cause, then hypnosis can help as a supplement but it is best that it not replace medical treatment. Certainly, one should never eliminate pain without making certain that the system is being attended to. One does not wish to mask a symptom for something serious which could lead to worse problems. However, if the doctor has given a clean bill (usually saying they can’t find anything and it’s just stress or the like) then hypnosis is definately the way to go . . . giving a full history and being upfront and honest with your hypnotist about what’s going on and whether or not it’s been checked by a licensed medical practitioner.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask away. I have helped folks with stress-related headaches in the past so I know the ins and outs and am happy to provide any guidance you need. I know how much a stress migraine can suck.

I can think of a whole lot of other things I would might prefer rubbed on my belly . . . although, that’s also going to depend upon who is doing the rubbing and what the context is.

Cute, Sean. :laughing:

BTW, the webpage looks great, I’ll forward the link to Lorraine.

All the best,
Brian