What are some of the obstacles to opening your own pub?

just wondering. i imagine a partnership. i handle all the stage stuff like getting bands, etc, doing my own show one or two a week. somebody is good with food, somebody else is good with people, etc, somebody handles the bar really well. no employees only people working together. everybody involved puts in x number of NT into opening it.

When a friend of mine opened a bar, the biggest obstacle was the police and fire department.

throw them a sandwich.(’:wink:’)

I assume this would be a pub in the western sense?

I would imagine sustaining a regular patronage whilst balancing the fact that locals dont drink as much as foreigners (on the whole), perferring to ‘sit’ on drinks. This on top of not going too local and alienating foreign patrons.

The competition is pretty tight in Taipei right now and I dont see - other than Carnegies, perhaps the Tavern and Brass Monkey - as making that much money.

As for you playing at your own bar… hmmm, well back in Oz this would be sneered upon and seen as indulging your own self interests ahead of promoting local talent.

And yes, prepare many sandwiches… large ones at that.

I’m a good bartender and I also know a local liquor distributor.

[quote=“AWOL”]As for you playing at your own bar… hmmm, well back in Oz this would be sneered upon and seen as indulging your own self interests ahead of promoting local talent.

[/quote]

100% correct. In the past the band I was in played at our own venue. The real respect only came after we toured the States. Familarity and all that.

[quote=“Bassman”][quote=“AWOL”]As for you playing at your own bar… hmmm, well back in Oz this would be sneered upon and seen as indulging your own self interests ahead of promoting local talent.

[/quote]

100% correct. In the past the band I was in played at our own venue. The real respect only came after we toured the States. Familarity and all that.[/quote]
I dunno. Ronnie Scott seems to do OK. :wink:

Ok Sandy, go for it. Dave Chen and the boys. DaveTheMan bar and grill… Haggis as a specialty.

Barumosa
Forumosabar
Club Forumosa
Roxy Mosa

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Bassman”][quote=“AWOL”]As for you playing at your own bar… hmmm, well back in Oz this would be sneered upon and seen as indulging your own self interests ahead of promoting local talent.

[/quote]

100% correct. In the past the band I was in played at our own venue. The real respect only came after we toured the States. Familarity and all that.[/quote]
I dunno. Ronnie Scott seems to do OK. :wink:[/quote]

looks and smells like planet hollywoood :laughing:

[quote=“AWOL”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“Bassman”][quote=“AWOL”]As for you playing at your own bar… hmmm, well back in Oz this would be sneered upon and seen as indulging your own self interests ahead of promoting local talent.

[/quote]

I dunno. Ronnie Scott seems to do OK. :wink:[/quote]

looks and smells like planet hollywoood :laughing:[/quote]
Ahh, but you should have seen it 25 years ago before it was a tourist attraction.

i wasnt of drinking age then! :slight_smile:

i was thinking more like a hole in the wall with lots of good, friendly vibe. small place with some decent sandwiches and beer. foriegner emphasis.

i hate “local emphasis”. it’ll end up being a bad coffee shop with even worse food. sandy, what’s the name of that place you got plastered at after my show?

A couple of friends of mine have either owned or co-owned bars here. One of my cousins owns a bar and restaraunt elsewhere.

Some possible problems of owning your own pub rather than opening:

Drinking every night.(It can be fun but only for a while I’m told) Keeping an irregular sleep pattern. Talking to customers you don’t really like. Profit not coming in and living on credit. The main problem in Taiwan though is below. Peope being unwilling to pay ____ for a pint or other drink when the 7-11 or another possible option is much cheaper.

In a partnership knowing when it is friendship and when it is business can be a hurdle. Plus making absolutely certain the partnership is split 50/50 isn’t easy when it comes to actual work part.