What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in Taiwan as a senior citizen

What are the advantage and disadvantage of a senior citizens 60 and above in taiwan

Dangerous traffic, sidewalks that are difficult to walk on, lots of noise everywhere.

1 Like

All your old foreigner friends started being cranky at about 35 years of age so at 60+, they’ve gotten really good at it.

You can check this thread:
https://tw.forumosa.com/t/retirement-in-taiwan/12475/505

2 Likes

Hanging out at the doctors waiting room to talk to other old people for normal old people issues wasting NHI resources. Won’t get lonely

Thank you for calling me a ‘senior’ citizen! :astonished: Bring on the wheelchair and foreign helper.

2 Likes

We need a “you know you’re a senior citizen when” thread.

You now you’re a senior citizen when the classic rock station plays stuff from when you were in HS.

2 Likes

This really needs to be separated between Taipei and other cities cuz it’s a totally different experience.

3 Likes

So my pal is at the hospital, getting x rays. In front of her there is this senior citizen who was arguing with the nurse. You see, you get a flimsy bathrobe thingy to get x rayed. He had removed all clothes except his shirt, which was under his robe and the lady wanted him to take it off…So he did, along with the robe and regaled all present with his almost full glory - his briefs remained on, thank Aesculapius.

1 Like

So I know that public transportation discounts start at 65 yo - https://english.metro.taipei/cp.aspx?n=BECC2E7AC426F659&s=98639C1CC8FAE752, but where are the restaurant discounts? I hear more about those in the States than in Taiwan.

I think you might not get those discounts if you are a foreigner I.e. no Taiwan ID.

advantage: you get to push yourself to the front of the line of anything you are waiting for

7 Likes

It sounds like I’m going to have to start learning to gnash my teeth.

You get to do whatever whacky shit you want, wear a vest all day , rub your back all over a rock or a tree and nobody cares.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

You’ll always get a seat on the subway.

5 Likes

One way or another.

I think in some cases passport works. We had a visitor from the States , came with his wife on business he was over 65 (like 70) and my co worker told him about discount on the train and ticket counter ask for his passport which he left at the hotel so paid full fare ticket in the business train carriage. (I remember his reaction about my co workers asking about age was not good, like “she thinks I’m very old” ha). I thought on the high Speed rail the discount was 50% which to me is huge if i could get it.