What are the best foreigner friendly banks in Taiwan?

What’s the best bank? I’m in Tainan now. I want a bank that I can just put a lot of cash in an account and get the card. I put 500k in HSBC and they gave me a credit card with 200k limit.

There’s no best, but there is definitely a worst.

I can tell you my experience, but I was denied where others were approved and I have been approved where others have been denied.

I got a credit card at Citi.

I have my business account at Cathay.

My mortgage is at Taishin

I think Union Bank is hot garbage. They can fuck themselves by kicking me out for being a foreigner. Yeah. GDPR supposedly applies in Taiwan. Bullshit!

5 Likes

What I don’t get is the bank will make money from the foreigner at zero risk, but “No” remains the answer of choice .

1 Like

Not until you receive the letter/email OR 30 calendar days. (whichever is shorter)

2 Likes

Okay. Thank you again. You have been a terrific help.

1 Like

Citi wouldn’t even let me apply in Tainan at the Yongfu branch. Maybe I’ll try at another branch and also with the money. Haha

Cathay Bank wouldn’t let me open a business account unless I have a personal account for 6 months. Is that legal?

Fubon get the coscto card

1 Like

I’ll try. Can I apply in a branch? I already have the Executive Costco card from the USA and I can use it here in Taiwan. I wonder if the card prices are the same or similar.

Maybe visit a coscto and apply from Fubon staff. Bring your overseas Costco card.

I am existing local member and used my company license. Fubon gave me NT$250k credit limit but I am a regular 50k a month spender at coscto.

When you say “company license” do you mean that you use your company as the name on your Costco card or do you mean you applied in your company’s name?

Yes those with a business can get the Wholesale card. You would just apply for a personal use card. My wife has a personal use Coscto Fubon credit card

1 Like

I have a company here, as well. Which one do you think I should apply under that is most advantageous?
Thank you very much!

All I had to do was give company details and ID card. No other documents required. Easy Peasy. Read the other thread link as was explained on there.

Is it also illegal to ask for a guaranter?

Not illegal per se if only based on the credit history and perfomance/report. Illegal if requested only becoz u r a foreigner

4 Likes

As Matteo explained

1 Like

My son lived in Taiwan as a foreigner on an ARC. When he was 18 he was taking a trip to the USA so he got a local credit card and myself and his mom both signed as guarantor cause he has no income. So it depends on circumstances.

3 Likes

I opened both at the same time. This is why there is no ‘best’

:idunno:

2 Likes

My bet? The lady was tired after spending hours doing unnecessary compliance forms (unless you were American… then it is necessary…)

Then after that she made up some BS so it will be someone else’s problem…