What are the Government Quarantine Facilities like?

Thanks @DaveS. Good information there.

1 Like

Do you mind to share the price of quarantine?

I just checked Indigo in Taipei and they are charging a whooping 160k nt a room for 2 weeks

Here’s a list. Not sure if the prices are up to date.

2 Likes

WTF! That must be a room with all extras you can dream on!

Thanks for the link !

Everything is awash

The prices are not so bad. Better than what I thought. I was checking another link and I guess they only put more famous hotels

I’m paying 5,500 a day for a suite with three meals. 18 pings with small kitchen.

Just checked the current rate and it’s gone up to 13,000 a day. Not a problem for me because I made my reservation last month.

3 Likes

Meh. If you don’t have to come back to TW ASAP, there are much much better deals in Europe now that countries are reopening.

Paying even $2,000/day just to go through quarantine and then live in a semi lockdown state isn’t very appealing.

3 Likes

LOL $13,000/day

Price gouging at its finest. I’d rather make a stop in a high risk country (you can get into Bali these days) and let the gubment put me up in one of their jail cells at their expense than pay $13,000/day for a small suite.

2 Likes

I know. It kills me. Problem is I need to be back as I have a kid in school age.

2 Likes

I think there should be special accomodations/dispensation for families. I really find it hard to fit a family of four in a hotel room, and with toddlers, separate rooms are out of the question. Families could stay at home…if other extended family members manage to stay out too.

I do understand the need to put some kind of barrier. Summer is here, kids are on vacation, most countries are opening up, so travel is at hand. However, the fiercest variants are rampant. And people will think about what they want, not common good.

Note this criticism is not focused on foreigners. Foreigners want to see their families, need to run errands like paperwork and are actually not that many. But Taiwanese are a lotta more people. And this unfortunately is not the time to go shopping in Paris or Tokyo or take the kids to Disneyland. Not yet.

Not so easy. Visa costs US$350++ through an agent in addition to some nervous waiting, since it’s not strictly legal. Then you need to quarantine in the capital upon arrival (5-14 days at own expense). Flying to Bali from there, after quarantining, requires a PCR test that you have to pay yourself.

There are coliving/coworking spaces in Bali that will handle the visa for you. I have a friend who did it. Cost for the accommodations including visa, surf lessons, yoga, coworking space access was under $2000 US for a month.

Visa is good for 6 months.

If you don’t have to be in TW, I’d say that beats paying $1,500 US+ for 14 days of quarantine to be followed by soft lockdown living for an unknown period of time.

Good thing there’s no COVID in Indonesia.

Wait . . . :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Guy

1 Like

I get the frustration you must be feeling. But remember: here in Taiwan we are still cleaning up the mess from the last time the virus jumped the fence into the general community. We’re finally (hopefully!) getting that Alpha variant outbreak under control.

So now Delta variant infections are taking off across the world. With the much higher transmissability of this variant, can incoming folks who may or may not be infected be effectively quarantined? One hopes so. And when viewed in this context (i.e. NOT wanting another variant to jump the fence), I think you can start to see where the new rules have come from.

Guy

1 Like

New rules are fine, but there has to be time given for people to prepare.

People may be landing with pets to look after, bills to pay, and many other things. I didn’t even have any toothpaste till a few hours ago, and I’ve got no clean clothes…

Most importantly of all, I’m worried that the quarantine facilities won’t be as safe as my own home. I don’t like the idea of having food prepared in unknown conditions etc…

Indeed.

If you guys can, watch local coverage of the situation in Pingtung. Basically, they are doing a level 4 in 3 townships there.

They broadcasted the order not to go out for 3 days at least. Close down all businesses. There is a truck with hazmat suit folk handing out food for the neighbors.

As to the Kaohsiung case, they were showing the elderly grandparents, who recently went for pics at a wedding studio. From one person, 14 got COVID. That’s Delta in action.

So, the only way to control no one visits potentially sick people or that potentially sick people do not infect others is to put them in specific facilities where the in and out is controlled. And yes, there have been a few escapees…but not for long. And the authorities know it and can follow them and their pathway of destruction if it happens.

1 Like

I’m fully vaxxed with Pfizer. I’m also fully aware that the vaccine isn’t 100% but comfortable with the real world data showing that the vaccines provide near 100% protection against hospitalization and death in my age and health group, even against Delta.

Not everyone is willing to stay locked in a pandemic purgatory for the next god knows how many years. The whole point of the vaccines is to help society return to something resembling normalcy. If people get vaxxed but still aren’t allowed to live their lives and make personal choices about their exposure risk, eventually the global vaccination push will fail.

Why would you ever worry about that? Cough Novotel cough.

Are you talking about quarantine, or prison? I can’t tell.

1 Like

You know I am talking about quarantine hotels do please do not talk down to me.

2 Likes