What are the impacts of visiting a Psychiatric clinic?

Lets say somone is considering going to Psychiatric clinic to obtain some medication that is better than caffeine to help with wakefulness.

They are supposedly one of the few places that can prescribe it.

Talked to a couple Taiwan professional friends that said don’t go because you don’t want to be connected with them.

Anyone have any information or comments?

Are they talking about the negative stigma associated with seeing a Psychiatrist? Talking about things with a Psychiatrist Is the ultimate form of losing face.

If you’re talking about getting adderall, you shouldn’t have much trouble.

Well, there will be records of your prescription at the clinic, but any dialogue you have with the psychiatrist will be based on privileged doctor-patient confidentiality.

If someone spots you at the clinic or knows about your visit, there might be some ignorant grapevine talk but otherwise, there should be no serious implications in visiting the clinic for wakefulness prescription.

Is anyone going to have access to your medical records to see what kind of doctor you went to?

I believe you can pay out of pocket and not use NHI card.

Aren’t medical records in Taiwan starting to be and eventually going to be digitized online in Taiwan for all hospitals and doctors to access?

I’m wondering what kind of impacts might occur with the government or other institutions. For example, would a job application ask if you’ve ever visited a psychiatric clinic or would some official organizations in Taiwan have access to that information for hiring or other purposes?

I do not believe companies are allowed to ask these questions or access medical records. Civilian jobs shouldn’t, unless you want to work for government.

My guess is that you’ll be ok in Taiwan if - if - your medical records are sealed off from view by anyone other than NHI.

Different story in other systems, however. For example, if you’re in the market for an individual medical insurance policy in the US your medical insurance premiums will probably be higher if you’ve received previous mental health services that were paid for by an insurance company. Health insurance for most Americans is subsidized by their employer using a group insurance plan, and they never have to face a rise in their individual premiums as long as they’re employed.

If you pay out of pocket with no record of an insurance payment for mental health services, then it may be a different story.

Try apples.

I think he’s looking for more than a sugar high.

1 Like

Aren’t we all. Is '“wakefulness” the new bored?

1 Like

In the immortal words of my seventh grade Social Living teacher: “I don’t need drugs–I’m high on life!” We were all convinced she was on drugs…

Nowadays teachers like that run half marathons.

Try empathizing.

@tango42, I don’t think this is a problem for you, but, as has been noted previously, if you work at a company of any size, and you use your NHI, you run a very credible risk of gossip regarding your treatment being disseminated via HR.
In complete violation of official rules and regulations, of course, but still very possible.

I knew a dude who suffered from clinical depression, and in a particularly dire phase, his psychiatrist booked him into a small hospital under 24-hour observation under the distinct possibility of self harm. Fortunately his doctor was Daddy Cool and the official record listed his problem as insomnia, so there was no unpleasant slapback at his office.

Serious question: how would the HR come to possess that information?

In the US the employee could tell his manager the truth, that he’s in a hospital for depression.

Manager hangs up and next call is interoffice to an HR manager.

Management is management.

Sure, but Rocket seems to be saying they could know just by you using NHI.

Well, if goes on your NHI, the paperwork goes to the company.

Like I said, it’s “supposed to be” confidential.
Like, it’s “supposed to be” illegal to drive in the Bike Lane, or use dirty oil to cook food.

3 Likes

Is using NHI even an issue. If the medical databases are connected to an ID card like ARC or APRC, then maybe still searchable and accessible, even if you pay cash.

OP mentioned caffeine, not I. Apples ARE better for you and give quick bursts of energy that hit you faster than caffeine does. Has little to do with your perception of my degree of empathy. :idunno: