What are the impacts of visiting a Psychiatric clinic?

If you really are afraid of potential consequences, fly to Bangkok and use Bumrungrad. The best hospital in Asia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumrungrad_International_Hospital

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry, it just came off as kind of glib.:bowing:

I would go with chewdawgs suggestion: go to a proper hospital and spend some time/money on an actual consultation. You may have some organic problem that needs addressing, and brushing it under the rug will make things worse in the long term.

1 Like

How will it look in the grand scheme of things when you’re trying to apply for citizenship if you’re already Permanent Residency Holder? Could seeing a counselor also cause your insurance rates to go up? Our family has a secondary insurance policy to cover expenses for accidents, Illness and injuries that helps make up the Lost income if a parent has to lose work whie taking care of a child or family member or if the worker himself can I go to work.

1 Like

If you’re just needing medication, a hospital out patient clinic for psychiatry or neurology might be s better option than a psychiatric clinic. They dispense strong medication reluctantly, but they do when needed.

Mental illness is no joke

https://youtu.be/BeSlrnnBtqs

Just be aware that a few shrinks need to see a shrink themselves

Taiwan’s psychologists are grossly incompetent in my experience. Their solution is drugs. They won’t go any deeper to help you resolve issues and seem to lack basic knowledge of the field.

1 Like

I run a company where we pay NHI for a handful of employees. We don’t get access to anything. HR will not know anything. You can safely go.

1 Like

@Andrew0409 unbelievably true

Do they even know how to go deeper to the root of the problem? They sure look like PhD pshychologists, I mean, only book bounded.

I swear they don’t even care. I don’t think they’ve been trained to do any sort of therapy and psychiatric evaluation past the surface. I’m more often pushing away drugs they try to shove in my face. Like I’m talking and they’re like do you want to try this SSRI??? Like no man, I’m not here for the Prozac. If I said I say I had bad sleeping patterns this week they’re immediately reaching for the list of benzos and sleep meds.

I mostly just go in and tell them what I want in terms of drugs and do my own things.

1 Like

Is this experience based on the NHI psychologists or the private ones?

There are some decent private ones. But even then, they aren’t as good as even a average doctor in the US. I don’t even bother.

1 Like

So essentially they provide no real value added services. If I wanted Prozac I can just go to my local neighborhood pharmacy who will sell it otc lol

1 Like

Yeah, pretty much. If you want real help past the generic get some exercise to help sleep advice you would need to really go out of pocket to find someone. There are some good ones but hard to find and all out of pocket. But with NHI, you’re meds are basically covered and 200nt might be all you pay per month for a doctors visit and a months worth of meds.

1 Like

Went to check one of the private psychologists and everything was set for 4Kntd when I showed up with my ‘white’ face at the clinic they wanted to charge me 6kntd. Needless to say I cancelled my appointment right there and then.

Their excuse was that prices for foreigners were different because they had to use English to speak (even though my whole communication was in Chinese over the phone). When I said, no problem let’s do it in Chinese the receptionist went ‘oh well, but you are still a foreigner’. Ah, go eat crap!

1 Like

So that’s an impact on the wallet of either NT$2000 or 50% for looking like a foreigner. Don’t think I can avoid that one.

Should report them to whoever the psychiatric board is in Taiwan. I’m sure that violates some ethics rules of the board using two tier pricing. And at 6000nt (per hour?) Yikes

1 Like

I don’t think it does. It seems to be the norm here.

But they should have accepted he wanted the service in Chinese. How do they even know he speaks English.

1 Like

I thought of doing so, but then also thought of all the trouble and gave up. And to believe he was an indication of prestigious doctor. Anyhow, when I got the ‘new’ price in person at the clinic I tried to tell the receptionist that psychologists are not translators who charge different prices by language spoken. I am buying his service expertise not the language he speak. It is pretty pathetic, but it seems to be practiced among many of the non-ethical so called private psychologist/consultants here.

When I go to the gastroenterologist or whatever doctor he doesn’t charge me higher if he has to give me the diagnosis in another language here.