What are the major sports in Taiwan?

I always assumed the National Sport was taking pictures of each other not paying any attention to the surroundings whilst having a plastic bag (optionally containing food, but not required) shoved up against your face and calling someone on your cell to tell them about it really loudly.

Or baseball?

[quote=ā€œthe chiefā€]
Or baseball?[/quote]

Baseball is okay but too difficult to enjoy unless itā€™s well-organized.

Itā€™s strange to me that basketball is so popular. The Taiwanese physique doesnā€™t lend itself to such a game. However, due to the lack of space and how cheap it is to pour cement, I guess basketball wins.

It would be great to see more small soccer fields built. I have some friends that are coaching and the kids like it a lot, but unfortunately they canā€™t stick with it for more than a year or so. The big math, Chinese, or science test takes precedence and they have to pay more efforts to studying.

[quote=ā€œsandmanā€]
Petanque equipment will definitely be available here if it isnā€™t already, as its one of the ā€œsportsā€ in the 2009 World Games being held in Kaohsiung. They had a competition just a few weeks ago as a pre-games warmup, and petanque was one of the featured events.[/quote]

Sweet, Iā€™ll check that out. I wonder if theyā€™ll show this on TV? Actually petanque is also a game that could work well in Taiwan. All you really need is a big box filled with sand, oh wait, that would probably turn into a giant litterbox. n_n

Shopping sleeping being lazy all the time!!!

Those are the true national sports here!

LOL
:astonished:

Sign me up.

Any watersports popular in Taiwan? Rowing (crew rowing/sculling) available?

I think this will change the swimming scene in Taiwan. A good showing at the Olympics and this is a given.

2 Likes

shrimp fishing.
hiking.
riding scooters.

This guy seems to do well in ultramarathons.

Taiwan athlete Tommy Chen won this yearā€™s 4 Deserts Race Series championship, one of the worldā€™s most punishing tests of endurance, after finishing as runner-up Nov. 26 in The Last Desert Antarctica ultramarathon.

Chenā€™s second place was enough to hand him overall victory in the competition comprised of four 250-km ultramarathonsā€”the Atacama Crossing in Chile, Gobi March in mainland China, Sahara Race in Namibia, and Last Desert in the frozen southern continent. He also became the first Taiwan runner to claim the 4 Deserts Grand Slam title by completing all of the events in a single calendar year.

The ultramarathoner was leading this yearā€™s series going into the final leg in Antarctica, having finished second in the Sahara Race in May, fifth in the Gobi March in June and first in the Atacama contest in October. He captured the championship by battling through gale-force blizzards and minus 20 C temperatures across the weeklong, six-stage contest in one of the worldā€™s most unforgiving environments.

https://taiwantoday.tw/news.php?unit=2,6,10,15,18&post=104482

1 Like

Oh no! I like having a lane mostly to myself! Plus, itā€™s good for the ego being the fastest person there (usually).

Good for him. But, ha, Iā€™m getting old ā€¦ ā€œ200m butterfly short courseā€ seems a vertebrae-shattering contradiction at this point in life.

1 Like

Youā€™re not the only one. I had lower back pain for a month from practicing the dolphin kick over a two-week period or so.

I just get on the track when Iā€™m feeling myself feeling too good about my exercise prowess in the pool. Everybody passes me on the track.

I donā€™t do triathlons anymore, but when I did, I really liked how they can be a humbling experience in a few different ways.

OK, thatā€™s another point in the ā€œagainst learning how to do dolphin kick off the wallā€ tally ā€¦ it just wasnā€™t a thing yet when I was on a swim team, so I never learned. Once in a while Iā€™ll try it, and, ā€œOuchā€, I wonā€™t try it again. I sometimes wonder if Iā€™m giving up too quickly - your experience suggests Iā€™m not!

I wish swim / bike events were more of a thing - Google tells me theyā€™re called Aquabikes?! Repeated knee strains prevent me from jogging, but I think itā€™d be fun to train for a swim-bike event. Iā€™d have no frigginā€™ chance of being a serious competitor, but I donā€™t think Iā€™d embarrass myself in my age group.

On the other hand, Iā€™ll occasionally see videos of the starts of big swim races - like the Sun-Moon Lake one - and realize the crowd looks absolutely terrifying.

1 Like

This magazine is probably not around 13 years later, but if so would be happy to help.

1 Like

Research shows Taiwan as the country in the world with the least interest in football! An accomplishment in itself.

This is the consequence of being part of Japan and cultural codes of the era. Note though, that Taiwan was a decent, competitive side in Asia in the 50s due to many Hong Kong players. Then, sliding firmly under US influence, there was no chance of a football culture developing, but rather baseball (also a continuation from the Japanese period.)

The modern game is developing though, so the future looks better.

They really need to weed out match-fixing though, scandalously the national side got away clean with obvious fixing of a match vs Kuwait last year - nobody cares.

1 Like

I would be all over that. Great fun and no knee pain. As for being a serious competitor, you probably would do well. The swimming level for those over 40 or so in Taiwan is not great, even at these races. They have aquathlons (?) in Taiwan (swim + run) but not the swim and bike combination.

The Sun Moon Lake swim is terrible. But triathlon swims are not that bad, as long as they donā€™t line people up by age where I get stuck close to the back but then have to swim around and over people for the entire distance. The fight at the beginning really isnā€™t that bad if youā€™re not scared of the water.

1 Like

Remind me of that match fixing. Iā€™m aware of the earlier one against Guam where the ref actually turned in an incorrect score card and no one said anything except one media guy.

The number of kids enrolled in football schools suggests the game must improve here. Plus all the kids with local mums and English etc. dads.

If you followed the abnormal odds market movements live, it was blatantly obvious something was amiss. And, some classic very naff defending with sloppy passes that just happened to get intercepted etc. 9-0 ft is embarrasing in itself for a national side, worse when the national side is involved in match-fixing (almost solely the domain of club sides, can only think of El Salvador and some African nations also with some history).

A post was merged into an existing topic: :running_man: :newspaper: Sports News | Random Sports News and Stories