What are the pay & hourly requirements for ARC?

First, I tried to search for an appropriate thread that would answer this concern. I’m not finding it, so I’ll just ask:

What are the current minimum monthly pay/weekly hour requirements for a teaching ARC?

A few weeks ago when I was at the tax office, they scrutinized my paperwork and said I didn’t earn enough. After a few phone calls here and there, I was ok’d to go with no damage done.

But the lady said I should be making $48,000/month to have a legal ARC, and that they are getting more serious at the tax office about calling up the Labor Dept when there are problems.

One school director just told me the legal minimum for weekly hours are 16. I’ve also heard 20.

Yes, I will make phone calls to the offices above for clarification (and post what I learn), but that is oftentimes a maze. Maybe someone here knows…

I’m looking for a new job, and would certainly not want troubles next tax time.

Thanks.

I realize this question may be better in a different forum. Please move if needed.

The minimum hourly requirement is 14 hours per week. In order for a work permit to be issued the employment contract must be for at least 14 hours per week. Based upon the average wages of foreigners this is judged as the minimum requirement to earn a living here in Taiwan.

It’s interesting to hear about the tax office situation. I was wondering how long it would be before the tax office started comparing notes with the labor bureau.

ok, thanks for the info.

But I wonder why the tax lady quoted a specific monthly income? Strange.

I couldn’t say how hard they’re checking details or how often they call up the labor bureau, but she did indeed say they are cooperating more.

She indicated a bit of a “grace period”, where she’s telling schools to behave, in hopes they’ll shape up on their own before any hammers fall. This is how I recall the conversation.

Its NT$48,000/month for a work permit for non-teaching work. Don’t know how it works for teachers.

Hmmm. I was working as an English teacher, which the tax lady was aware of that day.

but a 14 hr a week job that gives you a monthly total of $48,000 (I’m not so hot at math), is going to be a quite-nice-but-rare hourly wage, yeah?

Hmmm.

Well, if anyone is interested…
I had a Taiwanese friend call the labor office, as my Chinese skills weren’t cutting it.

They told her the minimum working hours for a teaching ARC are 14/week.

They didn’t say there was any minimum pay standard (which makes my tax office experience odd)

And they reconfirmed that kindergarden teaching is not permitted (which I figured I may as well get straightened out while on the phone).

Ok, enjoy your info.

We are interested. Thanks for posting what you’ve learned.

In fact, I don’t believe its NT$48,000 for a work permit. I have a part-time job that used to pay NT$40,000/month, but they had to raise it to NT$48,000 due to the new labour law, even though I don’t need a work permit at all.

[quote=“ugaluga”]Well, if anyone is interested…
I had a Taiwanese friend call the labor office, as my Chinese skills weren’t cutting it.

They told her the minimum working hours for a teaching ARC are 14/week.

They didn’t say there was any minimum pay standard (which makes my tax office experience odd)

And they reconfirmed that kindergarden teaching is not permitted (which I figured I may as well get straightened out while on the phone).

Ok, enjoy your info.[/quote]

Kindergarden work is not allowed for foreigners!!! why not? I just got a job at kindergarden today…private one…man this sucks

yeah, there are 100 billion english schools on the island and most are kindergardens.
at issue is an ongoing debate about when it is best for children to learn a second language.
right now the gov’t says kids under 6 can’t get intensive instruction, yet there’s a huge demand from parents and schools can’t resist the opportunity.
and a lot of authorities seem to look the other way, or follow convenience, or…
i’m sure there’s a lot of discussion on this elsewhere in the site.
sorry to bring the bad news to u.
i’d reckon you’re fine, depending on your school’s guanxi…
good luck.