What are the rights of dual citizens if a war breaks out

A question for you, Richard, or anyone else who may know…

I just recently got my Taiwan ID card and am now officially a Taiwanese resident, though by birth, I am a US citizen. If war should break out in Taiwan, can I expect to get any aid from AIT if I decide to go back to the US, or will they refuse to help me since I am presently in Taiwan under my Taiwanese ID and passport?

Thks.

Just wave your US passport if that happens. They have to help you.

You no longer live here on an ARC… your living here like me as an ROC Citizen and you have no consular rights from the US Government.

Thats not to say that you would not be given assistance but it would not be an obligation of the US Government.

You said ID CARD not Permanent Resident Certificate… two different things… If you became an ROC citizen then you would have had to renounce your US Nationality unless you have ROC Parents and are just re-acquring your ID Card here. So you are either a resident holding a USA passport and PARC or you are an ROC citizen without US protction here.

You can wave it all you like but a qucik check in the passport pages to see that you didnt use it to enter Taiwan will prove you have no consular rights. That only applies to US Citizens who use their USA passports to enter here.

If you enter on your ROC passport the USA has no rights with helping you.

Doesnt mean that they might not try but legally they cannot.

Hmmmm…

So the USA recognises ROC citizenship, but not the ROC ? Interesting. I would like to see a State Department answer to the question “Of what nationality is the holder of an ROC passport which describes the holder as an ‘ROC citizen’?”

If the state from which the nationality derives does not exist, the nationality does not exist. Given USA China policy, the only possible State Department answer is that the holder is a PRC citizen. As the US would not be being required to give consular protection against the government of the US passport holder’s other nationality, I would argue it should provide consular assistance against the ROC, but not ironically, the PRC, if the State Dept answers the above question as I have predicted.

[quote=“bluesky”]A question for you, Richard, or anyone else who may know…

I just recently got my Taiwan ID card and am now officially a Taiwanese resident, though by birth, I am a US citizen. If war should break out in Taiwan, can I expect to get any aid from AIT if I decide to go back to the US, or will they refuse to help me since I am presently in Taiwan under my Taiwanese ID and passport?

Thks.[/quote]

Even if the USA tried to evacuate you out of Taiwan I would like to see how a 747 or other transport plane would take off from a cratered runway though

Thing is if war is on the cards… the USA will advise its citizens to leave Taiwan (which will include half the leadership of KMT and PF party)… if you don’t you then may have to rough it out til it ends

Off topic but a classic during the KMT/PFP presidental election" not fair" protests.
There was a guy down there waving his KMT flag and his American passport at the protest. Guess where he will be going when China attacks, and it won’t be do defend the ROC… it will be down to the AIT

I remember the hoo-haa when it was suggested HKers would all try to come to the UK after 1989. If you sit down and do the maths that would require over 13,000 jumbo jets. Like that was going to happen. Even if you add in all the cruise ships in the world and line them up at the harbours in HK it would still take years.

We’re not getting off the island. Best prepare either a little red flag with yellow stars, or an Armalite and suicide pill.

[quote=“bluesky”]A question for you, Richard, or anyone else who may know…

Thks.[/quote]

As someone who has been in countries when all hell has broken lose…here is the skinny…

If you are a US citizen with a valid US passport you will be evacuated. Maybe not as soon as yopu would like, but you probably will not be ready for it when you are. Your immediate dependents will also be evac’d.

If you have renounced your US citizenship and no longer have valid proof of your US citizenship then you better have firends in useful places. Or have your Mamma and Daddyt contacting their Senators to take action on your behalf. But I would still hang aoung AIT and look useful.

Just remember…what may look like a regieme change can also be seen as multiple opportinuties opening up.

I remember reading some fine print on the AIT website that says if you have dual national commitments (like the army), there is nothing they can do to help if you get called up.

And I think the Taiwanese authorities would have no problem in drafting you or at minimum stopping all males leaving the country and drafting you a day later :noway: :help: … espically since you entered Taiwan as a Taiwanese citizen…