What are the rules about kayaking and such?

Heading on the HSR the other day, and going along the Shulin river on a bike ride made me think it would be really nice to explore the west side of the island’s rivers with a kayak. Some of them seem pretty pleasant and looks like it would be cool to do.

But what are the rules and regulations, does anyone know? Is it ok for my to buy a collapsible/folding Kayak, take it somewhere and hop in and have a paddle? I assume the busier Tamsui river would be regulated, but how about the smaller, side rivers that lack boat traffic–like Dahan river and some of the nice ones that the HSR passes?

And, has anyone ever been kayakking along Taiwan’s rivers? What was it like–any unexpected difficulties or areas which you wouldn’t recommend? I will be doing it along the west side.

2 Likes

Most of the rivers on the West side of Taiwan would not have enough water as upstream dams usually limit them to an “Environmental Flow” except for maybe a few days after a heavy rain event such as a Typhoon.

https://68maps.com/places/en

Search for Kayaking in the Categories. That’ll give you some rivers to roll over in. Xiaofei also has an IG where you can ask him further questions. I also can recommend his YT.

2 Likes

Haven’t kayaked in the rivers, but I’ve kayaked in Yilan’s irrigation canals. Very leisurely and quite beautiful in the paddy field.

2 Likes

Cheers. Going past on the HSR, they looked nice and calm–but couldn’t tell the depth. If they’re shallow, then maybe I will stick to other rivers and streams.

Thanks. I am not interested in rapids–just calm, leisurely paddles along rivers. But some on there look like they will be suitable.

That’s something I didn’t consider and sounds pretty cool. Is there any issues with it, like with landowners not wanting you there and stuff?

Can’t vouch for the rules, but is seems people are out there doing it. Just pop ‘獨木舟’ into a YouTube search and see what comes up.

e.g. here’s somebody paddling on one of the estuaries in Miaoli:

And another up towards Emei resevoir:

Let us know if you get arrested :smiley:

2 Likes

No issues at all, except when the water level is high, you’re forced to lie on your back in the kayak so you can clear the low bridges that cross the canal. Interesting to encounter bugs just centimeters away from you face. That was actually the most adventurous part of the tour. :joy: This is what we joined:
https://www.kkday.com/zh-tw/product/118296