What are the SHI DA texts?

What are the texts used by SHI DA? I have read several places that they are the best books in Taiwan for learning spoken Chinese. I would like to check them out at the bookstore.

They’re the books that this place uses:

I know that, galloonieburger. I want to know what the texts are. (Please don’t tell me that a ‘text’ is a book used in schools to teach students. ho ho) Can someone tell me the names of the SHI DA books?

Practical Audio-Visual Chinese

Practical Audio-Visual Chinese is a single book? I thought there was a whole set of books. Or maybe that is the name of the set?

Yeah, that’s the name of the series. There’s Book 1, Book 2

Got it. Thanks.

If you want in strength for learning spoken Chinese. you may first thing in strength of Chinese phonology and tone.


If you have any problem of Chinese. please contact me;I’ll respond to you as quickly as possible.

My email:aaron.fym@msa.hinet.net



Bless 'em

I’m thinking of taking Mandarin classes in September. When you guys talk about ‘Shida’ and the "MTC’, are you talking about the ‘Center for Chinese and Language Culture Studies’ (as per their website) which is at the National Taiwan Normal University? I’m just confused with the inconsistent nomenclature and I’m just starting my research into possible schools. This apparently is the most ‘prestigious’ (ooh!) school. There doesn’t seem to be a consensus on what is the best option for learning Chinese. Not surprising since people don’t always learn best the same way. I’ve lived in China for about 10 months and almost a year in Taiwan but my Chinese is still fairly basic. I’d like to outline my situation and see whether someone out there can make a recommendation. I live in Jongli but I want to move to Taipei (thus living cost is a factor). I’m hoping to study and work part-time, so should I go for a university-affiliated program and get an ARC (what’s the deal with this arrangement anyway?) Or would I be better off attending a private language course (TLI seems to get good reviews because of the emphasis or oral CHinese for lower levels). Maybe then I could work illegally? (Shhh!).
Truth is, in fact, that in my current situation I’m working full-time and I want to take a life break from that. I want to study Chinese and stay in Taiwan for at least a few months (maybe more) and begin to enjoy the experience of living in a foreign country more: interact with people and with the culture at large in a more meaningful way. I don’t want to be dependent on this job for my right to stay here, and I don’t want to preclude myself from working a little bit either. This, I hope will mean I begin to enjoy my teaching too. If anyone has been in my situation (moving from working back to being a student but trying to maintain some income), or is in that situation now I’d love to hear from you. My current contract expires on 9 September so I want to live off the fat of the bonuses for a while and I’m looking for a mid-September-ish start to my studies. And will I have to make a visa run, no matter what happens?
Looking forward to hearing from you.

You’re too late to apply for the September semester (according to their website). If you stopped by and asked them maybe you could work something out (I here they’re hurting for students). I wouldn’t recommend Shida. I have friends that go there now and they say they just stay there for the visa/ARC thing. If you’re serious about studying you can buy all the books they have and self study. If self study isn’t your thing I’d recommend private classes a few times a week and self study.

I’m not having a problem working full-time and studying. You might as well work full time and make more money I say. I’d actually rather be down south where I’m assuming I’d have to speak more.

I think TLI ( www.mdnkids.com ) are the best 2 opptions for flexable language schools.

For good measure I’ll through Shida’s link in here to mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/index.html .

I use the same Practical A/V Chinese, suits my needs very highly. I have only the first volume provided by Providence U in Shalu, Taizhong.
You can also get the book at ESL House, their off-campus classroom downtown Taizhong.
Was quite a commute for me every day so ended up going to the local Teacher’s Collage and asking Admin. who they would recommend for a part time job. (Won’t mention how cheap it actually is unless you PM me)
Use the book, open your mouth for an hour a day to someone you consider a paid (even if aspiring) professional.
BTW, the student’s last year at ESL house seemed happy with the program there.
If you do get a student visa with them, you do need to attend to keep it.

[quote=“Taiwan Beer”]Gubo


Bless 'em[/quote]

I always wondered about those strange names. Then a friend told me one of the editors was European, Czech I think, so these are Chinese transliterations of Czech names or something (or worse, Chinese transliterations of Czech words for Chinese names). Go figure.

I heard the theory that ‘Gubo’ and ‘Palanka’ were just made up names using common characters. Then, someone else suggested they were Albanian (from the time when PRC and Albania were allies).

Such an exciting story with subtle insights into life in the PRC (lol) I can’t put it down

Gubo and Palanka are so famous they even have their own thread here in Forumosa:



Your studies at Providence, did that have something to do with a Chinese cram school for christians? I had a friend studying out that way some years ago and I was convinced it was Providence. As I recall it was the cheapest gig going and he seemed to think it was very worthwhile, especially for one on one. He said the chrstians gave him the shits from time to time but that he could for the most part avoid them. He had an ARC sorted through his work so the attendance wasn’t an issue.


The Providence school is set up by catholic nuns. Started out as a girls school in China and moved here after the revolution. They still teach religion, I believe, so you’re bound to meet up with people doing what they are taught.
No big deal and I’ve never seen at the ESL House site.
As far as cram school goes, a semester is 3 months, 10 hours a week. 10 hours is required for them to give you a visa. I didn