What are we paying for UK flights these days?

Of course I’ll be asking some agents. Just wondered what peoples recent experience is. I havn’t been for 3 years so I expect sharp-shock increases.

Incidentally apologies if this isn’t a legit query. Mods feel free to temp/delete etc.

Got my round-trip ticket to Europe for around 40,000 TWD. I guess it’ll be much cheaper if you fly off-season (which seems to be before June 20 or after September 6). Unfortunately I can’t.

40k sounds about right. I’m traveling just after the start of September, but if I can get flights for less than 35k per head I’ll consider myself lucky.

I ended up booking my ticket from the airline directly, but here’s a good resource to look for cheap fares out of Taiwan (unfortunately it’s in Chinese only):

backpackers.com.tw/forum/air … y_from=TPE

You can also check out Air Asia, back when I looked they had KUL-STN flights for about 15,000 TWD one-way. That was for August, September should be cheaper. Back in 2009 I got on that flight for ~ 6,000 TWD.

Thats better, thanks all. Only got a price from one agent so far, 51900NT, Cathay Pacific, which I thought was a bit steep. Hopefully it’ll get better.

You might want to try KLM, they claim they’re doing flights to the UK for 28.5k (plus tax of course) klm.com/travel/tw_en/plan_an … /index.htm

I just checked what that would be with taxes, etc., (trip to Edinburgh in October) and it works out at around NT$42-43k. That’s about as cheap as we’ve been finding recently. I wish I could find something under 40k.

Double post.

I just checked what that would be with taxes, etc., (trip to Edinburgh in October) and it works out at around NT$42-43k. That’s about as cheap as we’ve been finding recently. I wish I could find something under 40k.[/quote]

Yes, that’s what I found too. I ran a couple of different return dates in August, leaving this Sunday, and got 43,560 and 43,570.

Thats fully fixed no cancellations. The Cathay price above was flexible, possibly with a HK stopover on the return, so perhaps reasonable in comparison. Ouch!

I suspect I’d need a functional credit card to book online directly with the airlines anyway, though I didn’t take the KLM booking far enough to find out. Travel Agents will take a bank transfer, which is a big advantage for me.

I flew KLM return to Bristol in May for NT$43k.

I just booked for a trip early August (peak time). 75K for premium economy on NZ Air, TPE to LHR. Others (standard economy) were in the 45-55K ballpark. About 35% of the price is tax.

I generally use ysticket.com. They’re a bit cheeky because they hide the tax surcharges, but they’re a fairly useful way to compare prices and sometimes they have some bargains.

I just flew back to the UK and it cost me 65k on the EVA deluxe economy. I think that the days of cheap flights are over.

41k TPE-AMS … 90 days ticket, went in May …Cathay Pacific … all included

There’s a steep surcharge during summer , extra 10k as far as I can tell. It gets worse if you have to fly to another European city, damn expensive alright.

ticket was 32K tax incl. +9,000 fuel surcharge

Yes fuel surcharge is expensive but seems to apply year round, I was talking about the peak season when they hike ticket prices up another 10k or so.

I’ve heard of two sub-40K tickets, though they may not still be available

Trump Travel (Tel: 07 330 6166 tttour.com.tw) advised me of a 36,000 incl tax etc flight Taipei - London via Bangkok on Air Eithad on the 19th July.

TONGLIEN TRAVEL [TEL: (886-2) 2536-6162, 2536-3463 FAX: (886-2) 2536-1023 The FAX number does not work]advised me of a 37,500 incl tax etc flight Kaoshiung - London via HK (overnight stop in HK) on Air New Zealand on 20th July.

Unfortunately I didn’t really want to wait, so I booked with TONGLIEN for a 12th July departure, at 43,850. At that price I’d have been better with a more convenient KLM flight that Irene Chen [EDDIE TRAVEL SERVICE C0.,LTD, TEL:886-2-23579856 886-2-23918153, 886-2-23955895, FAX:886-2-23279997, E-mail: eddie03@mail2000.com.tw, Mobile: 0911269973] was already holding for me at 45,000, but I was short of time to make the payment, and since I already had TONGLIEN’s bank details I thought that’d be quicker.

I was mistaken. Payment failed (no interpretable ATM messages to that effect, but it exceeded the maximum transfer amount, which I should have realised), I missed the booking and had to take a flight on the 13th at 44,250, rather belatedly cancelling the KLM booking. Feel a bit bad about messing Irene Chen around, though I suppose she’s used to it.

SO…I got an overnight stay in HK. I’ve hammock-camped in the past on Victoria Peak but it was a bit sweaty, and my flight leaves at 0830, so I guess I’ll just crash on an airport couch, which was OK the last time I did it.

I got mine for 30k but I booked two months or more ago. And I had to leave before June 20th. Also mine is supposedly fixed, non transferable, etc. but now they are telling me I have to use it before the 31st of March if I want to rebook. Ticket is Taipei - Hong Kong - Heathrow, return.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned this yet: the taxes for UK flights were changed a few months back. Now the amount of tax you pay to the UK airport depends on a) the class you flew and b) how far you came from.

So if you fly from Paris you’ll pay a hell of a lot less than if you fly from Taipei.

Cheapest way now is to either fly to Dublin or somewhere else in Europe, get a cheapie flight over and suck up the ‘check-in baggage/toilet/oxygen fees’ you’ll have to pay. It’ll still be cheaper than paying 17000NTD in tax…

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned this yet: the taxes for UK flights were changed a few months back. Now the amount of tax you pay to the UK airport depends on a) the class you flew and b) how far you came from.
[/quote]

That’s very interesting. I’ll definitely look into that next time I go back to the UK. The UK govt. is virtually bankrupt so they’re looking for every penny they can grab off people.