What are you doing for Chinese New Year?

[quote=“Chris”]Very likely Nepal.[/quote]Isn’t is quite rainy in Nepal in early Feb? and a little chilly. but likely still awesome.

Guys, there are some nice Lufthansa deals, check 'em out. Gives me NT$25,000 for Kaohsiung to London!

Of course, restrictions apply, and different dates give you different rates.

I just booked my trip to Thailand (jan 2nd to Feb 14th). I was a little disappointed with the final cost but whatever. the rest of the trip should be pretty cheap since I’ll have limited time in Bangkok and the beaches (but some time on the beaches).

Head south bruvva. Away from the filth. Should be a rocker.

Head south bruvva. Away from the filth. Should be a rocker.[/quote]I was actually thinking of heading east and north to Cambodia and Laos.

Head south bruvva. Away from the filth. Should be a rocker.[/quote]I was actually thinking of heading east and north to Cambodia and Laos.[/quote]
Laos is highly recommended. That was my CNY trip last year, and it was great.
This year I’m headed to Burma, and am pretty excited about it :discodance:

[quote=“zyzzx”]
Laos is highly recommended. That was my CNY trip last year, and it was great.
This year I’m headed to Burma, and am pretty excited about it :discodance:[/quote]

Nearly everyone says it will be my favorite country. The big dilemma now is whether or not I want to do the loop in SE Asia (Bangkok, Laos, Hanoi, HCMC, Cambodia, Bangkok). I really want to go to halong bay and northern vietnam sounds perfect for me. But I’m concerned that travel time and cost will become disproportionately high in comparison to daily expenses (food, hostel and sightseeing).

Plan A - travel Thailand and then go to Laos and then back to Bangkok and then to Cambodia. This plan seems preferred because there is a lot to do that is in relatively close proximity to Bangkok

Plan B - fly into Bangkok, travel to Laos (10+ days), take the tough bus trip to hanoi and visit Halong Bay and Sapa area (10+ days), take the train to HCMC and go to Cambodia (5-10 days) and back to Bangkok. That’s 25-30 days in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia but not including travel times or 1 day stops at various interesting spots. And I only have 43 days. it seems too rushed for my kind of travel. I don’t mind long bus rides because you see a different perspective of the country even though they are uncomfortable.

do vietnam another time.

Another time might be 10 yrs from now or longer. But it does seem like too much traveling and I would be skipping some great stuff to get there and back.

Isn’t the military junta still at war with just about every ethnic minority group in the country? :ponder:

I am leaving for Tibet on January 22.

I’m reviving this forum to ask when (if at all) is the best time to travel around Chinese New Year. I am aware that traveling on the first 3 days is a nightmare. But I have from January 23rd to February 2nd off and would like to spend a couple days traveling somewhere in Taiwan for fun. Anyone have experience traveling in the later part of the Chinese New Year week or is the whole week just a travel nightmare? I’m based in Taipei if that makes a difference.

Rule of thumb: when people are traveling South, go North and viceversa.

There are nice sales to hotels and stuff because most people visit families. Saw a couple of specials at Lion travel for Hualien hotels. Check their website.

Most places are crowded but people sleep late so travel as early as you can.

1 Like

The in-laws must finally have had enough of me. The wife has informed me I can stay home this CNY.

Me, alone, gin. Jurassic Park!

4 Likes

Oh my god. How did you pull that off? Did you pee in the potted plants last time?

3 Likes

I can’t remember. I must have done something terrible.

Holy crap. That’s actually possible?! You’ll be able to eat food that’s not lukewarm?! I thought the only way to avoid CNY dinner was to flee the country, and alas, finances don’t allow that this year.

2 Likes

I’m going to miss seeing the leftover shrimps from the first day of CNY in the hotpot on the last day. Then the 6 hour drive home.

4 Likes

Oh, right. I sometimes forget how lucky I am to have the in-laws living across town. Close enough that we can just go for the evening, far enough that there are no sudden unannounced drop-ins.

3 Likes

Just drive in the middle of the night. Usually fine then.