What are you guys doing with your money? šŸ’µ

Isnā€™t the point of this thread to make money with money ? :slight_smile:

To try to make higher gains ?
If so I think property in Taiwan is not the way anymore. But some other country like Vietnam could be.

To me Taiwan sucks badly for investment opportunities. Property and stock market here have a lot of issues because of high valuations, large supply, demographics , insider trading .

1. Feed my children
  2. Pay extra insurance
  3. Pay retirement fund
  4. Save to travel

Have a look at this, you donā€™t have to stick to Taiwan, but I am no expert on foreign currency trading. I have always asked advice from my financial adviser linked to my super in Oz, and he has always offered sound advice.

it depends what your mortgage APR is and if you can invest in anything outside of Taiwan. nevermind I see it.

Check out the ā€œEligible investors onlyā€ link on that page for a fun time.

Having said that, if you just want a good cash rate, there are some good options in Australia. For example, a normal savings account with 2.8% pa Savings Maximiser ā€“ High Interest Savings Account | ING (not open to foreign residents, sorry)

I donā€™t understand the point of a deposit account overseas in some unrelated foreign denominated currency, could easily lose on the currency fluctuation , unless it is to do some hedging.
Also a lot of mafan.

Although I do have cash in euro in my Taiwan regular bank account (for hedging NTD and in case I go back to Europe ) and maybe it would be useful to put in Euro deposit account. But most countries they charge tax on interest anyway.

1 Like

But others are. Just quickly, for example bank of sydneyā€™s savings account is 2% pa. https://www.banksyd.com.au/business-bank-accounts-transaction-accounts-smart-net-account.html#key-features

This thread is sucking bad for investment ideas in Taiwan.
Not blaming anybody, but it is sucking bad, which kind of reiterates my point about paucity of investment options here. Asset prices ran up too much throughout the entire country . Holding electronics companies stocks are usually the fast way to become a pauper unless the directors. Thereā€™s money to be made on some Taiwan stocks for sure but Iā€™ve consistently lost money on them. Even companies like HOTA and Honhai which are leaders in their respective fields, their stock prices are stagnant .

On the other hand South East Asia is BOOMING and has been for years in some countries but still property is cheaper and their economies are growing.

Good point.

I did some checking
Fubon and Taishin will allow foreigners to open a S&p 500 fund for example with a low MER rate and make regular installments if you wish.

Mega and cooperative itā€™s not open for foreigners

3 Likes

Thanks dan2006. Thatā€™s exactly the kind of lead Iā€™m curious about.

Great info! Thanks!

Not to sound rude, but if you have money and are serious about investing l it seems quite strange to discuss savings accounts and term deposits. In most cases, you are technically losing money doing that.

For me personally I decide to invest in my company and grow it. Far better than 1 or 2% all those corrupt banks give you. When there is a large excess, it gets sunk into land.

For me Iā€™m old style and donā€™t like to risk much. So I donā€™t do the whole stock/forex game, but can see why people get into it. I personally like to work, invest in my work and spend my own dividends on land. Land always holds value long term, especially important to those with children or close family.

1 Like

Whats the property tax on land only in Taiwan?

You really want to know the exact rate?
I donā€™t know the exact rate, butā€¦
ā€¦it is so very small, relatively speaking, that it should not be considered a part of any decision to buy land.

Where do you want to buy land?
My recommendation: east coast. You wonā€™t even have to worry about the aggregate land tax amount, the land is so cheap over there.

Has the land value increased on the east coast over the past 5-10 yrs? Can I get a decent piece of land for like 1 million NTD? Do you profit off this land somehow like have people growing crops on it or you just hold it ?

Can always get something for NT$1mn on east coast. Just depends on where.
If you are serious, you should start contacting a real estate broker where you want to buy the land, be it in Hualien County or Taitung County or wherever.
Theyā€™ll tell you what that amount can get you.
You can also look at some websites (if you can read Chinese) that sometimes have land only for sale.
Land prices have gone up just like anything else has, but not at a huge rate as, say, in Hsinyi or Da-An district of Taipei City.

1 Like

Has anyone here being successful in buying land? As far I know, it is not easy for foreigners [difficult to get a loan, foreigners not eligible to buy farmland, etc.] Iā€™m also not married to a Taiwaneseā€¦

govā€™t website:
https://www.land.moi.gov.tw/onlinebill/862-n1.pdf

Relevant part:

REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE ACQUISITION OF LAND IN TAIWAN BY FOREIGNERS
Principle of reciprocity: Only foreigners from countries that allow ROC citizens to acquire land may enjoy the same rights to acquire land in Taiwan, ROC. (Article 18, Land Law)
Types of land: Land for forestry, aquaculture, hunting reserves, salt plants, mineral deposits exploitation, water resources, military base and areas, and land adjacent to the national frontiers shall not be transferred to, used as collateral by, or leased to foreigners. (Article 17, Land Law)
Purposes of land use: Foreigners may acquire land for personal use, investment or public welfare purposes to build residences, as business sites, for office buildings, shops, factories, churches, hospitals, schools for children of foreigners, embassies or consulates, public welfare institutions offices, or cemeteries. In addition, foreigners may be allowed to acquire land for investments helpful or useful in major infrastructure projects, overall economic development, or agricultural and animal husbandry industries that are approved by the government authorities concerned. (Article 19, Land Law)

1 Like

thanks!