What are *you* listening to? (Part 1)

I stopped caring about and listening to music three years ago. Never felt better.

[quote=“Toe Save”]Media player on random select…listening to Orchid by Black Sabbath. Shall I keep this thread open and give you a song list of my afternoon…I don’t understand…now…what is now…

oh…now I am listening to Cake covering I will Survive…am I in the wrong thread…must get out…must go to Games Club…NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo (ooooppps…yelling)…I am 12 steps away from release…Hi, my name is Toe and I’m a Forumosan…

ToeMelts[/quote]

Hey Toe;

When something hits a chord with you and you’d like to share post it up here. Doesn’t have to be everything you listen to in a day. If your browsing this art and ent. forum and happen to hit this link let us know what’s playing. I like music a lot and I like discussing music, and most of the time I’ve heard about good music is through word of mouth, and that is the general idea of this thread.

Right now my favourite CD in years, Finisterre, by Saint Etienne is on. The last CD was that album by Roykskopp or whatever they’re called. Bot sure what the third CD in my changer is.

[quote]For me right now, I’m doing a little shoegazing.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless and Isn’t Anything
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Ride - Nowhere
Spacemen 3 - Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To.
[/quote]

Mmmm, shoegaze, love it. I really like those first three bands you mention, but don’t know the last. Haven’t listened to that stuff in years, but just got all my old cassettes sent over. Gotta convert to MP3 and have a good listen to all those old gems.

Brian

hey brian;

Jason Pierce of Spacemen 3 went on to form Spiritualized.
It was his earlier and slightly trippier project.

I’m still stuck shoegazing right now as I pack up my apartment. Listening to The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy Album. Fav songs from this have to be Something’s Wrong, Sowing Seeds and Just Like Honey(now repopularized by the Lost in Translation Soundtrack)

found a website full of vladislav delay downloads.

huumerecordings.com/

there’s some shoegazing for you :slight_smile:

Vladislav Delay hey. Nice one.

I’ve really enjoyed some of his work but felt he started to slip and I lost interest with his last Luomo release. The first Luomo release was great but I couldn’t even get through his last effort.

But yeah I guess it could be post 90’s shoegazing. Never thought of his music that way.

Cool find on the download only album on that site though

To keep in spirit with your true intention for your thread, I nominate a band called B-Tribe. Latin-techno-salsa Enya meets The Mambo Kings. I am always happy when my MediaBot selects one of their tracks.

In fact, you guessed it…I am listening to them right NOW. :rainbow:

Admit it tho…your thread title is confusing. I’d point out that Hexuan made the same mistake as I did, but he’s Irish, so that proves nothing.

ToeMamboes

well i can see how the NOW might be a little too present tense specific, but both you and Hexuan gave me exactly what I wanted. It doesn’t have to be what you like listening to or what your fav band is, just what’s on in your room, house, walkman at this moment. Or maybe it’s the sound of the cats mating in the alley beside you apartment. Whatever you want to tell us.

For you sir, I changed the Title.

Tom Waits-Blood Money and Mule Variations have been on constant replay at home for a couple of weeks now. I used to hate the guy’s music.

PM Dawn.

I kept listening to Push the Feelin On by the Nightcrawlers yesterday. Maybe it is time for me to see a doctor.

I’ve been listening to Miles Davis, Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespi. Early stuff. I am new to jazz kinda but I can sure see how it influenced Zappa, Beefheart, Lou Reed, Tom Waits… Some of the Dizzy Gillespe is absolutely psychadelic.

KOMPRESSOR - Brush Your Teeth
(that just finished, now)
Jack Johnson - Holes to Heaven (from the album On and On)
(and earlier on)
Miles Davis’ album Kind of Blue

Now, I’ve hooked up a tape-player in the study, and I’ve got a shopping bag with about 200 of my old cassettes from the late 80s and early 90s.

I’m doing lucky dips.

Just finished Jesus and Mary Chain - Barbed Wire Kisses.

Now it’s The Farm - Spartacus (a bit dull).

Brian

very nice.

I have a fondness for classic vocal jazz. Especially from Nina Simone, Etta James, Dinah Washington and Chet Baker. Rainy days and jazz records make for the the perfect setting for a lazy sunday…or tuesday.

I have to admit I didn’t listen to a single thing today as I spent the entire day moving. So perhaps I’ll have something to bring to the table tommorow.

I can’t believe it took me this long to start appreciating the music my parents grew up on. A few days ago I heard a recent rendition of “Mac The Knife”. Wow. Sounds like that are what life is for. Recently I even heard a Taiwanese woman singing in Mandarin with a real soul/playful jazzy blues thing goin on. I got the name written in Mandarin. I’ll let you know if I figure out who it is. The soundtrack from Collatoral (new Tom cruise movie) should be great. I quite like soundtracks because they tend to explore a larger landscapes than a lot of other cds. “State Versus Larry Flint” is a good one as is the “Tao of Steve” if you are in the mood for some light good vibe pop. These days I am really interested in learning more about jazz though. I think my favorite singers probably are those black ladies that sing like they been drinking whiskey laced with testostrone. If only I knew their names…

Have a CD player in the rental car and since I cannot stand listening to ICRT, here is what is in the CD changer:

Press Play on Tape - Danish band creating music inspired by Commodore 64 games
My own Compilation of Folk music - Woody and Arlo Guthrie, Rambling Jack Elliot, Pete Seeger
Jump Little Children - Charleston, South Carolina Alternative Band
They Might be Giants - Flood
King Missile - Way to Salvation
Billy Bragg - Worker’s Playtime
My own Compilation of Jazz - Charlie Parker and Thelonius Monk
Compilation of 90’s Alternative - Gold Finger, Presidents of the United States of America

WESLEY WILLIS RULES!

Dude, if you like that sort of stuff, you need to check out The Minibosses. They play rock versions of NES game themes. Also OverClocked:Remix is worth a look - people doing remixes (purely computerised and actually playing) of all kinds of game themes and music.

Warning Sign - Coldplay