What are you *not* listening to?

So I remember going to high school in the early 1980s. And I remember a 3-month window where I was infatuated with Simple Minds. So yesterday, in a fit of pique or something, I downloaded 1982’s “New Gold Dream” and 1983’s “Sparkle in the Rain” for another listen after 20-odd years.

Ugh. My ears were different when they were 16.

Village People :help:

I’m not listening to anything good on the radio in this country :frowning:

ICRT

Not listening to Peter Frampton. When I was a kid Frampton Live was a HUGE MEGAHIT album and I thought it sounded pretty cool with that weird voice distortion stuff. I never bought any of his albums, but I like the way it sounded way back then.

I’ve thought about him since in a “whatever happened to” way. Weird: super-mega star sells many millions of albums, makes many millions of dollars, then you never hear from him again. Nothing. At least Cat Stevens came back and made the news again decades letter reborn as whoever he is now, but I haven’t heard of Frampton in decades. Is he dead?

Traditional Chinese music

Not to be chauvinistic or anything…but most Taiwanese hate that screechingly high-pitched noise, too. Just ask them. I’ve heard that it’s supposed to be annoying to scare away ghosts.

Anything my wife says, apparently…

2 Likes

The soundtrack to Grease on 8-track no less.

AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Van Halen (heard a local band try to cover “Panama” in front of a department store the other day, that was kind of cool), Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Tea Party, Dave Matthews… I’ve gone through long periods of listening to everything ever recorded by these groups. Now, I can’t remember the last time I put any of them on.

I’m still not listening to the same stuff that I never listened to before.

Bach, Johann Sebastian - Suite for Violoncello Solo No 3 in C major BWV 1009
I’m not listening to anything else for the next five or six minutes.

Now I’m not listening to anything that is not Beach Boys - good vibrations.

I do not listen to Pop of any kind. And anything hyped as “alternative”. In this sad day when any silly git can compose a tepid song with the right software, and get marketed ad nauseum like toilet bowl cleanser[“Sparlkly. Shiny. Ooooooh…!”], the only REAL alternative music is what’s been real all along: Classical, Jazz, and Folk.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Not listening to Peter Frampton. When I was a kid Frampton Live was a HUGE MEGAHIT album and I thought it sounded pretty cool with that weird voice distortion stuff. I never bought any of his albums, but I like the way it sounded way back then.

I’ve thought about him since in a “whatever happened to” way. Weird: super-mega star sells many millions of albums, makes many millions of dollars, then you never hear from him again. Nothing. At least Cat Stevens came back and made the news again decades letter reborn as whoever he is now, but I haven’t heard of Frampton in decades. Is he dead?[/quote]

He made a comeback a few years ago. Wasn’t he big at Lalapoopoo for a while? Definitely not dead.

And I’m not listening to anything. Stopped listening to music about 5 years ago.

I’m definitely not listening to that damn CD of children singing classic rock songs that my school uses for song class. If I here seven year olds singing Village People and Queen songs again I think I’m gonna lose it.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
And I’m not listening to anything. Stopped listening to music about 5 years ago.[/quote]
May I ask why?

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Not listening to Peter Frampton. When I was a kid Frampton Live was a HUGE MEGAHIT album and I thought it sounded pretty cool with that weird voice distortion stuff. I never bought any of his albums, but I like the way it sounded way back then.

I’ve thought about him since in a “whatever happened to” way. Weird: super-mega star sells many millions of albums, makes many millions of dollars, then you never hear from him again. Nothing. At least Cat Stevens came back and made the news again decades letter reborn as whoever he is now, but I haven’t heard of Frampton in decades. Is he dead?[/quote]

He made a comeback a few years ago. Wasn’t he big at Lalapoopoo for a while? Definitely not dead.

And I’m not listening to anything. Stopped listening to music about 5 years ago.[/quote]

Shakespeare said never trust a man who doesn’t enjoy music. :wink:

Come on, man!
Don’t you think it’s high time you started not listening to some new stuff??
Life is passing you by, dude…

Come on, man!
Life is passing you by, dude…[/quote]
True enough. Are you trying to tell us that you haven’t yet experienced the pleasure of not listening to techno, Jennifer Lopez, modern R&B and all that other shite?
Times have moved on TM. It’s not just Celine Dion and her ilk anymore. Wake up, man! There’s a whole new world of shite music out there just waiting for you to not listen to.
Seize the day!

Come on, man!
Life is passing you by, dude…[/quote]
True enough. Are you trying to tell us that you haven’t yet experienced the pleasure of not listening to techno, Jennifer Lopez, modern R&B and all that other shite?
Times have moved on TM. It’s not just Celine Dion and her ilk anymore. Wake up, man! There’s a whole new world of shite music out there just waiting for you to not listen to.
Seize the day![/quote]

You heard San, Tman, off yer ass!
Come on over, we got whole genres of stuff you should be not listening to…we’re not saying you have to loathe and despise it, everyone has their own opinion, of course…
But trust me on this, my friend, take the test…just don’t listen to it one time, I challenge you, I defy you to ever stop not listening to it, you won’t be able to believe you ever didn’t not listen to it…