What Books Are You Reading?

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“bismarck”]
I’ve researched them. Doubt it. Otherwise, probably a semi-decent yardstick.[/quote]
OK, tell me. Why would any serious academic write “PHD” after his/her name on the cover of a book? Isn’t it like a bit, urm, wankerist?[/quote]
Maybe. I don’t know. Possibly. But it’s mostly a psychology book, and I’ve noticed psychologists usually do that. After all, who wants to read a book about raising kids and/or boys specifically written by some weirdo no one knows about?

Even Jared Diamond’s books list all his academic credentials on the first page, if not on the cover, but he’s very well known and everyone, even people who haven’t read his books knows he’s a PhD. Is he also a wanker?

[quote=“bismarck”]

Even Jared Diamond’s books list all his academic credentials on the first page, if not on the cover, but he’s very well known and everyone, even people who haven’t read his books knows he’s a PhD. Is he also a wanker?[/quote]
No, he’s not. And he doesn’t write “Jared Diamond PHD” on the cover of his books to appeal to the teeming masses who seem to need affirmation/insight from people that they perceive to have intellectual/moral authority, like professors and priests.

Just finished reading Ian Rankins first Rebus book, “Knots & Crosses”, which was ok. Now reading Henning Mankell’s “Sidetrack”… some nice beach reading.

Siblings without rivalry.

The Preacher graphic novels via the ever-lovely Threadkiller.

Tip top mate! :thumbsup:

I’m in a good mood. I’m old enough to store nuts for the winter, forget about them, and then find them again with delight. A few weeks ago I was working like a dog, felt I deserved shopping, and went to Page One and splurged. (I need books and DVDs, not shoes.) I totally forgot about that little book orgy (my alcohol-eroded memory isn’t what it should be). And then, this weekend I found the little cache of previously purchased perusables stashed away under the covered shelf beside my bed. So my holiday reading is lined up. I really overspent and can’t list everything bought, but here are five. Anyone read any of these?

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
Portrait of an Addict as a Young Man by Bill Clegg
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
The Time Traveller’s Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer
The Shakespeare Curse by Jennifer Lee Carrel (my relaxing beach-book for Kenting)

My summer holiday reading. :slight_smile:

[quote=“ThreadKiller”]I’m in a good mood. I’m old enough to store nuts for the winter, forget about them, and then find them again with delight. A few weeks ago I was working like a dog, felt I deserved shopping, and went to Page One and splurged. (I need books and DVDs, not shoes.) I totally forgot about that little book orgy (my alcohol-eroded memory isn’t what it should be). And then, this weekend I found the little cache of previously purchased perusables stashed away under the covered shelf beside my bed. So my holiday reading is lined up. I really overspent and can’t list everything bought, but here are five. Anyone read any of these?

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
Portrait of an Addict as a Young Man by Bill Clegg
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
The Time Traveller’s Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer
The Shakespeare Curse by Jennifer Lee Carrel (my relaxing beach-book for Kenting)

My summer holiday reading. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Are you going to stop already? Prior to your membership I was the most eloquent poster on forumosa. I feel usurped. Beware my wrath! :bluemad:

Look, I’ll loan you a book or two once I’m finished with them. Reminders of eloquence.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”]Anyone read any of these?

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman[/quote]
I haven’t read this one by Neil Gaiman, but if American Gods, The Ananzi Boys, Stardust (Awesome! Loved it!), and Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett) are anything to go by I reckon it’s going to be an excellent read!

Just checked this out and it seems a fascinating read. Would love to get my hands on a copy when next I come up to visit you guys! :thumbsup:

[quote=“bismarck”]

Just checked this out and it seems a fascinating read. Would love to get my hands on a copy when next I come up to visit you guys! :thumbsup:[/quote]

I’ll procure one for you (a charitable act towards those who don’t live close to decent bookstores). :slight_smile: Of all the books I mentioned, it was the one I went to first last night. It kept me awake much longer than was proper. A nice little history read if you’re into that sort of thing.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”][quote=“bismarck”]

Just checked this out and it seems a fascinating read. Would love to get my hands on a copy when next I come up to visit you guys! :thumbsup:[/quote]

I’ll procure one for you (a charitable act towards those who don’t live close to decent bookstores). :slight_smile: Of all the books I mentioned, it was the one I went to first last night. It kept me awake much longer than was proper. A nice little history read if you’re into that sort of thing.[/quote]
I am most definitely into that sort of thing! Thanks for thinking of getting me a copy. When I come up I’ll pay you back in beers, cold hard cash or have jimipresley dance on the table for us.

Wait. On second thoughts, let’s go with cold hard cash… :smiley:

bismark,
Have you read “Why Gender Matters” or “That’s My Son”? Actually, “That’s My Son” is for mothers raising boys, but it’s still a good read. (I have that book somewhere if you want to borrow it.)

I’m reading “Mosquito Coast”. Enjoying it.

[quote=“asiababy”]bismark,
Have you read “Why Gender Matters” or “That’s My Son”? Actually, “That’s My Son” is for mothers raising boys, but it’s still a good read. (I have that book somewhere if you want to borrow it.)

I’m reading “Mosquito Coast”. Enjoying it.[/quote]
Nope. I’ve heard of “Why Gender Matters” but haven’t read either of those books. I would love to borrow it, but I’m a little out of the way in Tainan… :frowning:

[quote=“bismarck”]

Just checked this out and it seems a fascinating read. Would love to get my hands on a copy when next I come up to visit you guys! :thumbsup:

I am most definitely into that sort of thing! Thanks for thinking of getting me a copy. When I come up I’ll pay you back in beers, cold hard cash or have jimipresley dance on the table for us.

Wait. On second thoughts, let’s go with cold hard cash… :smiley:[/quote]

I’ll be at Page One tomorrow, so I’ll get you a copy and keep it safe. It’s yours for free if you manage to stop jimipresely from [strike]dancing on the table[/strike] dancing. :astonished:

[quote=“ThreadKiller”][quote=“bismarck”]

Wait. On second thoughts, let’s go with cold hard cash… :smiley:[/quote]

I’ll be at Page One tomorrow, so I’ll get you a copy and keep it safe. It’s yours for free if you manage to stop jimipresely from [strike]dancing on the table[/strike] dancing. :astonished:[/quote]
Sounds good to me! :smiley: :thumbsup: But he’s a difficult bloke to keep from dancing!

Finished Smiley’s People by John le Carré. One of the greatest thrillers ever written, if not the greatest. Currently reading True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey.

Currently re-reading Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. IMO the best of all her books. I love Mr. Darcy. He’s awesome!

You either have a lot of time on your hands, or you’re the second most boring poster on f.com.

You either have a lot of time on your hands, or you’re the second most boring poster on f.com.[/quote]
:bluemad: What’s wrong with Pride and Prejudice? Uncivilised barbarian! Get thee hence to Lupillus’ bd bash!

I even have the BBC series of P&P! Awesome! Much better than the recently made movie.

I love that book!