What Books Are You Reading?

It usually takes a few nights and not a few months to read a graphic novel. Read it in fewer sittings and Watchmen is mind-blowing. People needn’t say it’s good
for
a graphic novel. Well-crafted comics do as much for humanity as well-crafted novels or plays. Alan Moore’s Watchmen, Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series, and Grant Morrison’s The Invisibles are all great contributions to literature.

Give Watchmen another try. Alan Moore, in particular, expects his readers/viewers to have a broad knowledge and keen eye. The best graphic novels are not accessible to those who are novices to literature.

I haven’t seen the movie, but I’m not surprised.

What “second one”? Maybe you don’t have a taste for graphic novels; but yeah, you missed something. Watchmen is one of the great works of fiction, and stands alone as the benchmark by which all graphic novels are judged. Probably not your thing, though.

I think it was originally published as twelve individual comic books. I read the first two. Nothing in those first two compelled me to read the other ten.

What exactly makes it “one of the great works of fiction”? I may continue reading them if I know that there’s something worthwhile in those other ten.

What “second one”? Maybe you don’t have a taste for graphic novels; but yeah, you missed something. Watchmen is one of the great works of fiction, and stands alone as the benchmark by which all graphic novels are judged. Probably not your thing, though.[/quote]
Having seen the movie first I’m biased towards the movie (mostly as I had a certain expectation as to how the characters should look, had I read the graphic novel first it would have been the same way when I saw the movie), but I enjoyed the details in the graphic novel and the time you can take to soak them in which I didn’t have with the movie (things moving too quickly).
Also, having now seen The Freighter animated feature, gives the graphic novel another dimension. It was also an element that they didn’t include in the movie (not sure how they would’ve been able to anyway).

When I’m done with Thud! I’m going to get into V for Vendetta. Also rather looking forward to that, and to see how it compares to the movie (which I really enjoyed).

As concerns movie re-makes of graphic novels, Zack Snyder was clearly a sincere fan of Watchmen and went out of his way to follow the book. I missed not having Tales of the Black Freighter in the movie, but have seen it since and will go online soon to order the Director’s Cut of the movie which also has Tales From the Hood.

bismarck, you’ll find that the V for Vendetta movie strays quite a lot from the book. It is a fun flick, as is Watchmen, but especially with the end, it deviates from the original and I’m not surprised Alan Moore disassociated himself from it.

[quote=“SlowRain”]I think it was originally published as twelve individual comic books. I read the first two. Nothing in those first two compelled me to read the other ten.

What exactly makes it “one of the great works of fiction”? I may continue reading them if I know that there’s something worthwhile in those other ten.[/quote]

What makes it worthwhile?
The detailing of:
The perilous nature of human existence.
The movement from youth to middle age.
The

Aw, fuck. I’m not going to continue telling it’s worth. If you can’t get past two chapters, then I’d suggest you let it go. It’s not for you. We all have our specific tastes and this is not yours. Find something else to read.

I stand corrected. That sounds like both of the things that make up a great work of fiction. Lesser people may see a statement such as “the perilous nature of human existence” as a generic, evasive way of trying to say something without really saying anything at all, but, simpleton that I am, I can see the brilliance. I get it. So many derivative works of fiction neglect to include the perilous nature of human existence or, worse, confuse it with danger, suspense, adventure–all those worthless attributes that degrade the form. It’s appalling. And don’t get me started on the movement from youth to middle age.

It’s unfortunate that you were interrupted and didn’t have time to continue your essay. I believe it would have been brilliant, articulate, and thoughtful had you been able to take it through to its conclusion, as you no doubt intended. Nevertheless, your condescension and ridicule alone have helped me to see that I was wrong. Lesser people may be put off by such a manner, but not me. Lesser people may see it as an attempt deflect from the speaker’s own inabilities and insecurities, but not me. Whenever someone posts responses like those above, it motivates me–simpleton that I am–to work harder, dig deeper, and understand more so that I can be just the same one day. Well, maybe…one day. I can only hope and dream. Perhaps I will go back and give them another try. Thank you for your encouragement.

We all need goals. Good luck.

Trust me it is a good read. It’s not a long read. Just read the damn thing and then get back to us with your thoughts on its value.

:bow:

I finished The Stand by Steven King. Excellent, great, love it. This one is a new extended edition I found in Eslite Taipei. I love long (good) books - the times and the places and the characters just stay with you like real memories. Really shows great ability on the authors part. Totally recommended.

Currently reading Shanghai by Stella Dong. It is more interesting that I had expected. It is interesting to read about the behavior and attitudes of foreigners in Shanghai. Not a lot has changed.

Currently reading Jesus by Deepak Chopra and The Time Traveller’s Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer (a gift from the fabulous Threadkiller :notworthy: ).
Reading Jesus mostly, and dipping into The Time Traveller’s Guide to Medieval England like I would with a real travel guide. Both are bloody awesome for different reasons.

Just finished Bill Bryson’s “A Short History of Nearly Everything”. A wonderful insight into the history of the universe in 450 pages. Great read, highly recommend it.

Graham Greene’s “The Power & the Glory”, for about the third and a half time. What an underrated scribe he was, and continues to be.

I’m reading Richard Branson’s autobiography “Losing My Virginity”. It’s a bit crap.

I just finished ‘Ghost Train To The Eastern Star’ by Paul Theroux. He’s ascerbic as usual, but a decent read.

Mostly re-reads:

The Art of War
Free
The Tipping Point
ReWork
Cialdini

Just finished Life by Keith Richards.

And…

And…[/quote]

He’s still alive. :smiley:

It’s a good read but seems to skim over a few parts that should have had more attention.