What are your greatest issues when learning Chinese?

Reading wuxia novels and struggling through 聊齋誌異 really helped my Chinese. Fantastic reads. Protip: Despite everyone’s suggestions, skip 紅樓夢, as it’s quite boring.

鏡花緣 on the other hand is a lot of fun.

Nah, it’s brilliant! Might be a bit of a chick’s book though? :ponder:

I read the five volume Penguin classics edition though, not the Chinese. Not really fast enough to power through that.

[quote=“hansioux”]The art of 中英夾雜 perfected.

[/quote]

classic example! god it’s just awful

As I said i can’t speak Chinese, but every time I hear this kind of things I feel like to vomit.

I already hate when somebody uses English words when speaking in my mother tongue for most of the times there’s a perfectly valid Spanish word that is being ignored… plus well, not always people use the English word being aware of the actual meaning and use of that word. False friends and words or expressions that sound out of place when translating literally…

It’s partially a result of people being exposed to English on Internet without really understanding it. The result is that people commit horrid language atrocities and what it’s worse, they think they are being a very cultured person. This happens with

a) terms said in English, when unnecessary (most of the times!)
b) terms translated from English to… false friends
c) expressions which are translated too literally, making it sound pedantinc, bombastic… and actually plainly awkward. This happens a lot with adverbs.

I think that the only solution for this is to remove all the English contents from Internet, and kill all the people already infected.

我真的很 suffering

不要那麼low,OK?Just不要沒事就講一堆Chinglish,讓我們很不happy,it’s so 煩~

對不起。。。我就是NG男 ^^

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”][quote=“hansioux”]The art of 中英夾雜 perfected.

[/quote]

classic example! god it’s just awful[/quote]

:noway: Is that for real?

Why do they do it? :doh:

All these dense characters with lots of little strokes. They all look like squished bugs.

Although, English was once also a very adaptive language. Try speaking it without any Celtic/French/Latin loan words.

紅樓夢 has gotta be on the top of the list of any Chinese literature, along with 三國演義、水滸傳、西遊記。

:bow:

Regarding writing: Reckon its a thorough waste of time if you’re an adult trying to learn. Kids spend over a decade trying to perfect it.

Rather become a good recognizer and learn how to type like a boss with Google Pinyin. With Google voice, I speak sentences and it types any text. Def the way of the future.

I would almost say the same for English. Languages are simplifying. Within a decade or two, Taiwanese will probably use simple Chinese and voice to text will dominate all written communication imo.

I am totally stealing the phrase “learn to type like a boss” for workshops. :slight_smile:

中英夾雜 perfection Part 2:
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 694&type=1

Horizontally it reads Hello Taiwan. Vertically it looks like an artistic way of writing 臺灣.

[quote=“cyberguppy”]Regarding writing: Reckon its a thorough waste of time if you’re an adult trying to learn. Kids spend over a decade trying to perfect it.

Rather become a good recognizer and learn how to type like a boss with Google Pinyin. With Google voice, I speak sentences and it types any text. Def the way of the future.

I would almost say the same for English. Languages are simplifying. Within a decade or two, Taiwanese will probably use simple Chinese and voice to text will dominate all written communication imo.[/quote]

I don’t think Taiwan will use Simplified Chinese, but yes, languages are simplifying.

They’re even making college kids take essay classes.

We used to take them in middle school.

Thank you, Facebook & Line :whistle:

I think it is writing

there’s a lot of bad chinese writing out there. just meandering and no focus and stream-of-consciousness. I don’t see a lot of discipline in editing. it makes it a headache to read.

What is my problem when learning Chinese? People. More specifically Taiwanese people.

A typical conversation between two Taiwanese engineers:

我現在 schedule 上總 total 有10個 case 在 run
等等還要跟我的 team 再 confirm 一下 format

可能要再 review 一下新版的 checklist
看 data 現在處理的 process 到哪邊
都 check 完、OK 的話
就只要給他們去 maintain 就好了

Anyway, 明天跟 RD 部門的 leader meeting 還是 focus 在 interface 和 menu 上面
反正他們都有 for 新平台的 know-how 了,照 SOP 做應該沒問題
我 concern 的是 lab 裡面有什麼 special 的 idea

感覺新來的比較沒 sense
present 的時候感覺進度一直 delay