What are your thoughts on No Swimming in Taiwan?

Swimming is not about having the perfect stroke, it’s about being able to float and move forward, then learning the strokes.

Swimming for surviving is as you describe it, but swimming to be a good or even a decent swimmer is all about the form. Water is about 800 times more dense than air. You get your form a bit wrong, and you’ll slow down.

If you look at the video of the 1500m race, you’ll see everyone has a very similar form. Sometimes they vary their kick, but even a single swimmer will do this several times in one race. Otherwise, they are like robots. There’s a reason for this.

1 Like

That’s not what school classes are about, it’s about learning staying afloat first, then you can move on learning strokes, and later on if you want perfect them, swim competitive.

I for instance have perfected the ‘side kick’ stroke, I can swim for hours without getting too tired. I even keep my head above the water.

Other strokes, no problem. I don’t need to be competitive. I can even float for hours at a time, just float, not moving, just breathing in and out.

1 Like

I need to do something a bit more to work off all the beer I drink. I’m an old dude and I’m not going to win any medals, but there’s something really nice about improving yourself in sport and doing a bit more than breathing in and out!

Enter the water, float on you back, close your eyes … breathe in … breathe out … breathe in … breathe out … stay afloat … breathe in … breathe out … breathe in …

I’m not saying I just float when I go swimming, I change strokes as I go.

I"m not doing that, man! There’s enough weirdness at the parks here.

There are plenty of places to swim in Taiwan… there’s a resort area on the North Coast (can’t recall the name of it - and you have to pay) and seem to remember swimming in Kenting is ok as well.

Plenty of cool waterfalls, rivers to swim in - this is a really good guide:
http://followxiaofei.com/

What I find much more annoying is the swim cap requirement in basically every pool in Taiwan… exceptions would include the American club and large international hotels. Even just sitting and cooling off in the pool (with my head OUTSIDE of the water) without the swim cap, and the swim police come by…

2 Likes

do you understand why it’s strongly enforced? it’s for the sake of the filter I guess, don’t know if there’s other reason, but I can completely understand.

Had a lovely swim this afternoon with my dogs in Bitan lake. Just swim responsibly.

Yes, I’ve heard that explanation… that said…

1. Are filters really that expensive? I have no idea… or maybe it’s because the pool entry fee is so low, they can’t afford to waste too much money on filters

2. I have no problem with wearing a cap when I’m actually swimming, have gotten used to it by now… but when I’m just sitting in the pool, with my head OUTSIDE of the water and clearly no intention of putting my head INSIDE of the water, then why do I need to wear a cap? It’s sort of common sense isn’t it? Is it because maybe there’s the off chance that a stray hair will fall off and enter the water? By that logic, then shouldn’t anyone walking nearby the pool be required to wear a cap as well?

3. For the unfortunate hairy westerners (not me), should they be required to wear a wet suit? What if you have a beard?

After having cleared the House daily of my ex gf’s hairs , I can understand their concern . :smirk: maybe it’s just me , but Taiwanese hair seems to fall out at a rapid rate ?

think about the labor to do it rather than the cost to replace / clean it,

well, rule is a rule, who knows without them knowing, you might dip your head in,

understand your point, but as far as i am concerned, body’s hair is not that easily falling compared to hair on head,

it’s not just taiwanese, how many gfs you have had (country wise)? i think it’s almost the same, mostly ladies whom I’ve known are like that

Yeah, that ruins it for me. Was toying with the idea of going to the community pool. Probably not now.

labor is also quite cheap here in Taiwan… in case you didn’t notice…

rule is rule… Taiwanese like following the rules? really?

body hair falls out less easily than head hair? really?

Sounds like I’m myself a pro!

1 Like

Back to topic… Taiwanese are very dramatic when it comes to the waves, currents and dangers of the sea. Yes, they are. But that doesn’t mean that they are not in some way right. I’ve helped people to get out of the water when we were dragged to a less stable and more deep area, and I’ve been in troubles myself. Both things in the East coast. I love playing with the waves and sometimes you think you are safe and the next minute you are not.

1 Like

We’re talking about not being able to walk in to water above our knees but below our bum, not swimming with the dolphins.

I don’t think that’s what the OP was talking about. He even said he would be ok swimming 50 meters out.

Oh. I can’t swim, only float. I just want to paddle in deeper water and occasionally float on my back.

Well, I’m not David Meca nor Phelps. Indeed, I think I need more training.

Example of tricky waters:

Beach where to swim doesn’t feel quite alright, for some reason: