What Books Are You Reading?

I enjoyed it. Once you’ve read it, I’d be curious to know what you thought of it.

I’m really enjoying it. I just got to the part where the junkies bought laced heroin from the Chinese guy in Boston and one of them died. The other guy is mad at the third guy bc HE was the one who pissed off Mr. Wu, and he was the target of the poison, AND he let the first guy have the first hit…which killed him, and then, the second guy is wondering if he should try one of the other bags…all that with zero introduction. It’s like DFW thought if you like a book you read it again and again.

I’m reading up on the Stoics, and have been intrigued by a marvelous book called:
just to keep trollish flobbers from taking advantage of the weak minded with paper thin arguments.

As a general philosophy I like it, and I like Buddhism for a lot of the same reasons. As reading material, I slogged through Seneca’s Letters once and didn’t take much away from it. Took a stab at Marcus Aurelius’ Meditations not long ago and didn’t get into it but still have it for a second go. Have you thoughts on those?

I studied logic for computers (discrete math), and logic for philosophy (straight thinking and argument), and was pleasantly surprised that there was a lot of overlap (mind your ps and qs). I haven’t read this book specifically, but it seems almost a thread-worthy topic, no?

What would you say is the difference between Stoicism and Buddhism?

I would say there are many differences. For example there are more blue-skinned people in Buddhism. Not these:

but these

Same here. He’s lost on me. Pity, there are memes. :smoker:

East and West. Day and Light. North and Dolphin.

I think it’s fascinating. I’m actually using it as an ad hoc reference book for the DFW book. I code switch somehow, take some notes, and dive back in. Left Right brain stuff for sure.

Seems quite in-depth. I’d like something more like an overview then go deeper.

Then get this one. It’s like a Bible. You’ll keep returning to it. Otherwise, google it.

Haruki Murakami, I’ve read most of his books. Now can get the T-shirt.

This thread makes me sad. I used to read like 20 books a year. Now I only read 2 or 3. I’d like to blame being busy with family and work, but the truth is I’m too lazy and addicted to Netflix and other smartphone diversions now. I really got to get back into books. Any recommendations for slow burning page turners? I’m pretty open to anything, except books that are part of a series (eg: Dark Tower, Wheel of Time, Harry Potter). I prefer one-and-dones. If it helps at all, my favorite writers are Hemingway and Murakami (but I’ve read most of their respective books).

Short story collections.

Can capture a full story and something to think about in a few minutes.

For me it’s kind of like walking down the road and finding new places or shops instead of walking down a long road until I get to the end and find a shop.

Or walking around a store that has huge varieties instead of a store that only sells one or two types of items.

1 Like

Any recommendations then?

My reading definitely goes up and down, but I’ve come off of political news reading a lot since October for some reason. I usually have a paper book around a keep it with me for eating alone, taking a bus, waiting for an appointment, etc.

Books!

Russian literature? I find those are slow burners but once you get in the pages can turn. The Gambler is accessible Dostoyevsky, War and Peace or Anna Karenina never get old, The Master and Margarita if you’re feeling frisky

Hemingway I only really liked For Whom the Bell Tolls, but man did I like it. You can feel the tension in the pages. The last book I read that had a great build was the second Dune book (see above) but you don’t want a series…

I’ve mentioned Herman Hesse’s Glass Bead Game elsewhere, good slow burn; not an exploding-bridge payoff at the end.

James Michener has a lot of great books (the Source, the Drifters, Caravans, Alaska, so many), Ludlum’s Road to Gandolfo is fun.

Murakami is so famous and recommended but I haven’t read anything. So I’d be interested to hear from readers what the recommend there.

2 Likes

I like the short stories of George Saunders.

1 Like

A friend recommended Maupassant and I thought okay I’ll read one or two but now I pick it up every time I have only a few minutes.

I’m also looking for something more modern and trendy and off-beat but haven’t found it yet.

Like this

Digital Geishas and Talking Frogs: The Best 21st Century Short Stories from Japan Digital Geishas and Talking Frogs: The Best 21st Century Short Stories from Japan by Helen Mitsios | Goodreads

1 Like

Is 三体 canceled because it’s a chinese author (and I think he’s said some shit about Uighurs)? because the three body problem is one of the best series I’ve read in ages. absolutely loved them. I read the trilogy in English. such incredible sci-fi.

As far as I know, this is still happening, which I think looks promising though I haven’t read any of it

1 Like