What Books Are You Reading?

I just finished Bleak House by Charles Dickens. It was a real chore.

1 Like

Not jumping straight into Infinite Jest then? I forced myself to read it. For me it was up there with Gravityā€™s Rainbow in terms of boredom. I liked some of the articles he wrote though.

No, I want small easily recognizable accomplishments so Iā€™m not going into any big books right now.

might i recommend, the alchemist? :wink:

I think you have that backwards.

I read the former years and years ago - if I donā€™t have it tucked away some place, Iā€™m buying it again.

Marcus depends a good deal on the translation. I read it back in university and got less than nothing out of it. Hayes translation opened the entire books and, largely, the entire philosophy for me. I have it on Kindle and a pair of dogeared paperbacks.

I wanted to like this so much. I re-read it thinking that I had obviously missed somethingā€¦though donā€™t believe that I did.

2 Likes

My copy is somewhere between storage and an unknown address, possibly still in storage, but I will hope to remember to check this!

That was nice of you!

1 Like

No.

2 Likes

If you disagree, thatā€™s fine. Iā€™ll stand by my assessment, thanks.

IIRC the author of Zen was worried that Science was supposed to come to conclusions, yet it seemed to produce more and more hypotheses, thus negating its purpose. A couple of seconds thought would seem to solve this
Knowledge is a balloon, which constantly gets bigger. We know everything inside the balloon, outside it is what we donā€™t know, and science is the skin of the balloon; as the volume inside gets bigger the area of the surface increases.
The only difficulty is can the balloon continue to expand so we can continue to learn indefinitely; is the balloon inside a container, so we will reach the limits of knowledge; will the balloon stop expanding because of the limitations of the skin i.e. what the mind can know? (Personally, I think it will pop, and we can back to hunting/gathering and checking each other for fleas.)

Reminds me of this

2 Likes

Giant Book Month Continues. Finished Bleak House, on to Anna Karenina. After that I still have The Man Who Would Be King left to read.

1 Like

This book literally makes me laugh and cry

This is a boooook!?

Rudyard Kipling!

I usually really like Kipling, but this is a case where the movie is better- though the story is still good, the movie is just so good.

1 Like

Re-reading Murakamiā€™s Sputnik Sweetheart, for nostalgiaā€™s sake. Canā€™t believe itā€™s been out for 20 years now!

2 Likes

The movie is WAY better. Fun Fact: Michael Caine is still married to the actress who played the princess in that movie.

I got my wires crossed on the book though. Iā€™ll be reading The Once and Future King, not the Kipling book/story.

1 Like

The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami, an award winning Japanese author.

Starts as good story and insight into modern urban night life Shinjuku Tokyo, then turns into a graphic psycho bizarro story which many people would not want to read and I kind of skimmed over myself, now I feel like I need to cleanse my mind and soul.

1 Like

The only thing that scares worries me is the skimming part. I only skim right before I give up and read the wiki.

I hate giving up on a bookā€¦but sometimes itā€™s just a waste. (N.K. Jemisim, 3 time hugo winnerā€¦I couldnā€™t even be bothered with the wiki)

His other one has some chick saw a dudeā€™s feet off if thatā€™s your thingā€¦

Just wasnā€™t interested in the very unexpected gory psycho psychological second half.