What Books Are You Reading?

OK, try this. If one can get through and over the denial of death and accept the recognition of our mortality in endless time, what has changed about our individual human condition? Living a human life is not all for nothing, yet nothing is the obvious destination. Ashes to ashes and all that. Living a happy and enjoyable and secure life is a relatively new thing. We have been conditioned to take care of our priority needs and once that has been done, to then be anxious about future needs or past regrets.

I’d rather walk the tall grass and think about Jesus walking on the water, thinking, this is friggin awesome and I don’t care who knows it or doesn’t.It’s the wonder at the wonder of it all. It’s the surfing metaphor, bruh. You never read that book I sent you did you? lol

2 Likes

Barbarian surf days. Honestly, I didn’t get beyond a few chapters. I’ve probably pretended at some point that I’ve read it, due to an insatiable desire to people please.

I’m learning to ask questions, speak honestly and live in the moment. And you’ve given me a wonderful authentic response that tells me you are ahead of me in those respects and gives me something to mull over.

Thank you, sir!

1 Like

Well, I resist celebrating, as being ahead of any curve suggests you might just be on a circle.

Your Pops read it though. Maybe I should just ask him if he got it! :grandpa:

1 Like

Shit, we could have been neighbours a while back! Spent time near Nailsworth during early Covid shutdown days. Have since relocated to Saltaire in the North.

Accommodations don’t really impact my happiness though. Lived in 5000 sq foot mansions in Saudi, owned places in Taiwan and Vancouver Island (family has a few ocean front properties there) and cockroach infested flats in France…as long as I got my books and Internet, I am pretty happy. Part of me, despite having center right politics, dreads the suburban lifestyle. Bores the shart out of me.

2 Likes

Tokyo Decadence by Ryu Murakami

Enjoyed this short story collection, interesting story’s, pick one or two that look interesting and try it, some showing the darker side of Japan, only a few have sexual themes

Tokyo Decadence Tokyo Decadence Ryū Murakami - Google Search

2 Likes

I had no clue about this book. I really enjoyed “69” and “In the miso soup”, so I’ll be sure to check this one out. :smiley:

1 Like

He’s really out there.

1 Like

Ryu Murakami, Tokyo Decadence short story collection is good. I like the variety and city stories. Would like to find more like this. In The Miso Soup was ok. Others seem old like 69 or quite dark like Audition, Coin Locker Babies, Piercing, and I’m not sure I’m ready to read those.

1 Like

That’s usually the best time to read them.

44011891.UY499_SS499

Reading this. BBC Africa reporter Mary Harper’s book on the Somali jihadist organization Al Shabaab. Mix of her own experiences with Al Shabaab and interviews with Somalis in Somalia and abroad.

Pretty great stuff

1 Like

Almost Transparent Blue by Ryu Murakami

Wasn’t expecting that but good unique one of a kind book. Some amazing metaphors. Sex and drugs. Described so well he must have had some of the experiences himself or at least the drug experiences.

2 Likes

This one should be interesting.

1 Like

I just downloaded it. Looks interesting.

finished #1; love that luggage!

1 Like

Just finished this. Very interesting book about the place the CIA holds in the government. Lots of juicy details about the Torture Tapes, black sites, and Obama replacing all that, legal as it turns out stuff with even more secretive unlawful killer drone strikes.

Makes me want to go take another look at Leon Panetta, who I’ve been seeing as a partisan knob of the brassiest order. .

1 Like

I’m reading this now. I read the first edition some years ago, and the new edition is excellent. Daniel Willingham is one of my favorite writers on the subject of education. James Lang is another favorite.

why willingham

2 Likes

Nice day read. Post WW2 Japanese lit is da bomb.

1 Like

finished #2; he really kicks up the irreverent humour and clever wordplay with this one. definitely worth a second read

on to #3!

1 Like