What Books Are You Reading?

Very much recommend this book to people. Liberal Democracy is the best system we have and being jeopardized by those who take its protection of the individual to the extremes on both the right(neoliberalism, libertarians) and the left(identity politics, ultra-progressivism).

3 Likes

Iā€™m quite a fan. I read his biography last year or so. Less of a fan now. He was a golden child of the literary community. I like his simplicity and minimalism though. His stories are essentially people he knew, from the high peak of writers and their horny wives to the valleys of the riff raff his family belonged to.

I like his earlier stuff, when he was a drunk.

Which ones are those? :beers:

Start with Will you please be quiet, please?

1 Like

Yeah, shut up @tango42!

jk :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for saying please :rofl:

Great respect for Plantinga, but never could make sense of his EAAN argument.

Thatā€™s because your cognitive faculties are the product of blind, unguided, evolutionary processes, and hence unreliable. :grinning:

When he starts talking about contingency, my eyes glaze over.

John Tamny is a savage.

Can we get a two or three cents summary?

I went a few paragraphs in of that and still donā€™t know whatā€™s going on

All of which made a not-terribly intriguing story similarly difficult to take seriously. No doubt Wado himself gave the surface impression of a compelling character, but much like books, we similarly canā€™t judge people based on appearances alone. The Last Baronā€™s intrigue begins with its cover, only for it to gradually lose its excitement with each turn of a 303-page book.

A book full of contradictions. He rich but heā€™s poor. Heā€™s a mamas boy and a playboy. Et. Cetera.

Iā€™m only 30 but Iā€™ve already decided working until I drop dead isnā€™t for me.

1 Like

Imagine if you knew that at 25.

1 Like

Just bought first prints of Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn

1 Like

:grinning:

1 Like

By contingency do you mean conditional probability?

Do you agree with this statement?

P(R|E&N) is low.

The probability that our cognitive faculties are reliable given that evolution and naturalism are both true is low.

No, this type of thing

1 Like

I think I understand that but maybe I donā€™t.

1 Like