What can be done to help our SEA friends currently suffering

I rather not debating with you. Some people on this thread seem to be running a hostile crusade against the employers of caregivers, but without first hand experience with hiring foreign caregivers, and without an elderly family member in Taiwan.
Please do enjoy your way.

OMG you paid her tip. And still didn’t forget that tip

Supply and demand. Why do Taiwanese think you can raise up chip price for 30% and caregiver can not ask for 100 twd/h more

Terrible. You probably made a million sitting on a real estate which would be worth in best possible scenario 30% of value in most of the developed world, but giving few dollars more to a poor Indonesian girl is hard to swallow.

2 Likes

I should have known I would be writing to a wrong audience, when the title of this thread is worded the way it is.
Thank you all for your advises.

Don’t feel sorry for yourself. What the hell do you have to feel sorry about ?

You take advantage of poor people who come to Taiwan and aren’t covered by the labour law and pay them way less than local people (1/3 to 1/4).

Then you complain that they take advantage to ask for a little bit more money after two or three years ?

Feel sorry for somebody who works three years without going home and gets a few hours off a week (once a month…exactly how often ?) To enjoy herself…But you thought she has it easy , because she looks at her phone and doesn’t finish her pineapple .
Well maybe if she went outside you would be complaining even more ! I know many Taiwanese deliberately want to keep the caregivers at home and isolated to stop them getting ‘bad influence’ from others or thinking about running away.

You still didn’t tell me her living conditions either. Does she even have a proper bed?

You seemed to blame her for her depressive like behaviour , being quiet and non communicative and having bad Chinese but…What do you expect? Did you send her to classes ?
Does she get any help in caring for your grandmother, any professional instruction or input from outside ?

You guys are not the people to teach her how to care for a paralysed person which I guess needs some professional nursing supervision . I don’t have experience but I know that they have particular issues and need some medical supervision . You need to think about how to care for your grandmother not throw a few dollars at it and then blame the caregiver .

I’m not trying to ‘pick on’ you but your self pity and self justification is strong and yet you are getting an indentured servant for a very cheap price.

Caregivers haven’t had a salary increase in years and years so I can definitely see why they will fight for a higher wage which is absolutely reasonable and of course inflation is hitting everybody around the world.

You know how much having a 24 hour caregiver could cost in America, or in Taiwan for a Taiwanese ? Not even mentioning labour law issues.

Did you ever work overseas yourself and have to make a living for yourself in a strange land in a country that you didn’t speak the language ?

7 Likes

Scott most Taiwanese will agree with you. But, foreign workers are a modern form of slavery, in my opinion. It is a type of mutually beneficial slavery, but it leaves neither party particularly satisfied.

2 Likes

Living overseas doesn’t change their believes. I heard numerous Taiwanese crying like a babies here in Germany. They can’t sell me BS, saw how SEA live around Hsinchu industrial zones.One girl with PhD had balls to tell me “we Taiwanese treat foreigners good”. I put her in place and she blocked me on Facebook. When run into her next time she was ignoring me and I asked what is going on? Apparently I destroyed her face infront of colllegues. Be quiet next time than. My spouse cried she is underpaid vs her coworkers. 60k vs 55k euros brutto. How unfair Germany is. While in Taiwan her salary in the same industry (electronics) was 18k (with more over hours,less holidays). Ridiculous.

Funniest is complaing Chinese get paid more. Ofc they do. Cause they speak Deutsch and have local degrees.

1 Like

This is good! It’s not perfect and still remains to be desired, and I don’t even know how much of an impact my pressuring of the MP I like to talk to has had.

But I like positive developments.

5 Likes

If my understanding is correct, in total it will take a worker 11 to 12 years to get permanent residence and the requirements are still too strict in terms of salary (since average pay for most is 30K even with overtime).

Still something is better than nothing. This is a good start.

I hope they keep making regular improvements to it like the employment gold card legislation.

It’s the usual pointless roadblocks.

Live-in caregivers don’t earn more than 24k per month.

They know that. So what is the objective ?

For the social welfare category, caregivers in long-term care homes should make more than NT$29,000 per month and live-in caregivers should earn more than NT$24,000 a month

The thing that struck me was that it seems they have to apply for this special classification after 6 years of working then wait another 5 years, then still meet the usual APRC salary requirement of ca. NT$50k per month.

That’s a pretty long time, and I suspect the salary requirement will be unattainable for many of the people this is nominally supposed to apply to. But, hey, looks good on paper, yeah?

Let’s see how many migrant workers are able to get APRCs under this scheme. Seems like we’ll have to wait until at least late 2027 though.

3 Likes

Almost 12 years a Slave.

4 Likes

They should really make that movie!

1 Like

Eligible for benefits.

It’s gonna make 35,000 Filipinos eligible for reclassification residency immediately, according to this Filipino source. Then residency in five years. Then they can move their families over.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/amp/news/02/27/22/35k-ofws-eligible-for-permanent-residency-in-taiwan

Not their parents though. Just kids,wife , husband I guess. Another six years later. That’s eleven years.

For the 35,000 they’ve already been in Taiwan for six years. That counts.

That is one messy word soup.

I don’t understand why the Taiwanese are so obsessed with exclamation marks.

1 Like

Calculated source for English teachers?

1 Like

My dream is for them to work in machine tools.

As COVID cases spike across Taiwan, many migrant workers are reporting that they are being confined to their factories and dormitories, with strict orders not to venture out.

Again?! or did it really even stop (as in completely and back to pre-2021 outbreak situation)…?

1 Like