What can be done to help our SEA friends currently suffering

Further movement on permanent residency rules for migrant workers:

1 Like

Does the government know about their bilingualism plan, or what?

This to me remains the biggest stumbling block, the government needs to be bilingual first, then drag the rest of the country along when they’re ready. And a bilingual government is possible by 2030, even if a nation is not

2 Likes

Maybe they want to recruit more Filipino English teachers?

1 Like

And they want English teachers in schools to start using English to teach it… so the Filipino English teachers need to take a Chinese test?

A year later…Control Yuan issues so-called “corrective measures” against Miaoli County for it’s “serious human rights violations” also corrective measures issued MOL for lack of communication and information for migrant workers.

And as to not forget, the one who pushed this policy was Hsu Yao-chang (徐耀昌).

Hsu also ordered Miaoli County police and labor agencies to enhance street patrols to check apparent foreigners seen outside and fine them if they were found to be in breach of the rules of the lockdown, which ended on June 28 last year.

Wang Yu-ling said they began the investigation in August last year.

“The lockdown order by the Miaoli County Government was without legal basis,” she said. “It had no authority to impose such a ban against foreign workers.”

8 Likes

Two “corrective measures.” What were they?

5 Likes

That’s a good question…

It’s not just Miaoli County govt. either, some companies outside of Miaoli also implemented similar policies as well.

3 Likes

Someone was probably fined NT$2000 and told to find a less-obvious way of keeping the serfs under control.

Still, it’s good that there is some semblance of Law still working. The ruling seems quite unequivocal.

3 Likes

Well. I guess some wrists suffer a gentle slapping.

1 Like

not just ‘some’ but huge numbers of factories and caregiver employers all over Taiwan locked their foreign employees down using coercive behaviour and illegal fines.

5 Likes

Its the elephant in the room. Don’t rock the boat :laughing:

1 Like

I talked to a Filipina on my flight connecting flight in Bulgaria.

She said she lived in Taiwan. Lives in Austria now.

I asked her how the pay is in Taiwan. She said better than the Philippines.

Then I asked her how about the treatment. She said it depends on the company. She worked for a big semiconductor company, ASE, and it was pretty good.

If I had more time, I would’ve told her Filipinos make more than Taiwanese in the United States.

What does this confirm in your mind? Her answers sounds like platitudes.

1 Like

Just collecting data points. I like asking people questions.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Difficulties of forming a local fintech company?

Add this story to the list of why being a sailor from SE Asia can be a terrible experience.

Guy

2 Likes

Some Taiwanese companies reimburse part of recruitment fees to migrant workers after pressure on global companies to get their suppliers in line.

3 Likes

That’s good, I guess, but I’d rather they just refused to work with companies that use the recruiters, rather than funding them.

2 Likes

I see a lot tiktoks from Filipinos about going to Poland after Taiwan now. Chicken farms, hard work too. I think it all depends on the jobs they get setup with really. They are hiring tonnes of Filipino nurses and caregivers and mechanics in Europe now. Much better for those guys in longterm. Taiwan doesn’t give them anything more than a paycheck, if lucky.

Those agencies in the Philippines charge a lot for all their bullshit.

6 Likes

After 8 years they can apply for polish passport, which entitled them to work in rich countries like Germany and Ireland.

With this difference to Taiwan, they have rights from system from get go. Health care, unemployment protection etc.
Ofc is way better choice to come to Europe, Taiwan is convenient only cause is close.

Plus there is a right Polish company sent workers abroad. When they were building our new office space, polish workers said they are paid German salaries (2500 neto) but employed by Polish company. Everyone with half brains can protect himself from price dumping and I believe there is less and less this kind od corruption. There is more work than workers. So with polish working visa one can work with polish company all around EU.

2 Likes