What can be done to help our SEA friends currently suffering

Why? What’s happening there?

Simple…yes.

Nothing much, no gay pride events, no protest about political leaders, no rock music festivals, very quiet part of the small island.

This one is rich - $500 if you stay in the dorm on your day off, $2000 (four days pay) payroll deduction if you want to go outside on your day off:

1 Like

Employee at one of the factories shared some details and video with Taiwan News.

The employee said the way migrant workers are being treated is unfair, as Taiwanese employees of the same plant are allowed to leave as they please on their scooters. As for the dorm rooms themselves, the worker said that most are shared by seven people piled into bunk beds. In this worker’s case, there are actually nine in the room.

4 Likes

Can you replace the level 3 alert banner on top of the forum to something to protest the Miaoli restrictions? Is it something only admins can do?

2 Likes

Um, I’ve seen and taken part in a whole lot of protesting in 30 years here…how do you think the DPP emerged from the underground?

Here’s a video I shot last year of some of these repressed people

1 Like

I don’t know, but they have a thing called the National Human Rights Commission. It was created last year, I think, but unfortunately, I know virtually nothing else about it.

Here’s a Taipei Times article on it from last year:

Here’s its website: https://nhrc.cy.gov.tw/

2 Likes

You can make a complaint here:
https://nhrc.cy.gov.tw/en/iFrame.aspx?n=580

4 Likes

One day, in less serious circumstances, I will tell you about some of my adventures in looking up that phrase.

1 Like

My respect for Taiwanese is zero now. How came they accept this in their country.

3 Likes

To be fair, many Taiwanese are criticizing the regulations.

2 Likes

Not in public. On Facebook and Twitter doesn’t count.

2 Likes

Many organizations are publishing their opinions opposing to the regulations. Many is subjective, I know.

Is is just not reported in English.

And, for SEA workers, most of us are doing no different from those Taiwanese.

1 Like

How about we all go to Miaoli tomorrow, fuck shit up?

2 Likes

A bunch of angry foreigners? Yeah, that’ll help ease the xenophobia.

5 Likes

Who gives a duck? Racists gonna, ah, race.

Of course the root of this issue isn’t really racism, it’s that Taiwanese are scared of their own shadow. They’re so terrified of the virus that they’ll happily send foreign laborers to the slaughter.

3 Likes

I’d say it’s both.

1 Like

The Guardian have picked up the story

14 Likes