What chinese proficiency to be admitted in university?

How much time one should study chinese before beeing good enough to apply in University (for a master). I imagine it depends of the discipline you want to learn. I’m interested in chinese literature or history or sociology.
I’ve studies chinese two years so far and I’m planning to try to enter Taiwan university in July 2006 when I’ll get my chinese studies BA. Would you think it’s possible ?

[quote=“Azastorr”]How much time one should study Chinese before beeing good enough to apply in University (for a master). I imagine it depends of the discipline you want to learn. I’m interested in Chinese literature or history or sociology.
I’ve studies Chinese two years so far and I’m planning to try to enter Taiwan university in July 2006 when I’ll get my Chinese studies BA. Would you think it’s possible ?[/quote]

Can you read a Chinese newspaper? Can you write an essay about n article you’ve read?

Do you speak Mandarin? That’s probably the biggest question.

It’s not about how long you’ve been studying for, it’s about how good at Chinese you are (the two often don’t go hand in hand). But, based on most students, it sounds unlikely htat you’re ready, unless you have been studying really intensively, have had really good teachers or are really lucky.

Are you studying now? Where? As JDsmith said, what’s your level (honestly).

Be aware that universities here will let you in, even if your level of Chinese is not up to doing classes. Many students get around this by taking as many classes in English as they can. This would be difficult if you were studying Chinese lit. Universities here generally don’t have much of a support network for overseas students. Overall, many students whose Chinese is not good enough just try and get through the exams and don’t actually learn much.

Yes. Be very careful about a situation where they will admit you but they will not support you, if you do not have a very good level of Chinese (or a very good ability to make friends and manipulate people – to get your Chinese classmates to write your papers and so forth. :smiley: )

Seriously. I have at least one friend who succeeded in graduating, but feels that his educational experience was largely wasted because he did not have the necessary level of Chinese to really make use of it. And I know other people who nearly drove themselves crazy trying to keep up in university classes when their Chinese wouldn’t permit it.

Maybe you should think about taking a year in Taiwan first just doing Chinese? That way, you could audit classes and get a better idea of what you’re in for, and then you’d know more.

If you’re planning on a M.A. in Chinese literature, you will have to take a competitive entrance exam, which usually consists of a Chinese composition, Chinese proficiency test (mostly related to classical Chinese, plus another essay or two), and then an essay exam on the history of Chinese literature, paleography, and phonology (sometimes all three, sometimes one out of three, depending on the school). Having been through this myself, I would suggest that you come to Taiwan first and spend about 1 1/2 years improving your Chinese, knowledge of Chinese literary history, and especially WRITING. I came here with a B.A. in Chinese, had previously studied abroad in China, and I was nowhere near ready without some very serious studying and preparation on my part for a good 1 1/2 years.

However, it’s definitely possible to do … I’ll (hopefully) be graduating with my M.A. in Chinese literature from NTU next summer, and taking the entrance exam for the Ph.D. program in May/June. Good luck! :smiley:

First thanks to all of you for answering my question. I’ll try to answers yours.
I can read chinese newspaper and get the general idea but I don’t understand 100% of the articles. I write about as well as I speak and understand. General discussion are ok but I’m not used to specific vocabulary : history, sociology, sinologie, etc. I know about 2500 sinogramms now. My fiancee is a Taiwanese Chinese litterature professor in a Taiwanese University. She says I still have to improve my chinese but, maybe it’s possible since I still have one year until the entrance test. Whatever, she will help me, hopefully (she’s also a Chinese second language teacher). Hope my answers will help you answering me :slight_smile:

[quote=“Azastorr”]First thanks to all of you for answering my question. I’ll try to answers yours.
I can read Chinese newspaper and get the general idea but I don’t understand 100% of the articles. I write about as well as I speak and understand. General discussion are ok but I’m not used to specific vocabulary : history, sociology, sinologie, etc. I know about 2500 sinogramms now. My fiancee is a Taiwanese Chinese litterature professor in a Taiwanese University. She says I still have to improve my Chinese but, maybe it’s possible since I still have one year until the entrance test. Whatever, she will help me, hopefully (she’s also a Chinese second language teacher). Hope my answers will help you answering me :-)[/quote]

Having a fiancee who is a Chinese literature professor is definitely not a bad thing!

For preparing for the entrance exam, I suggest reading 中國文學發展史 by 劉大杰 … it’s not exactly “light” reading, but it will teach you a lot of the necessary vocabulary, as well as Chinese literary history in general. It’s a good place to start.

[quote=“Azastorr”]First thanks to all of you for answering my question. I’ll try to answers yours.
I can read Chinese newspaper and get the general idea but I don’t understand 100% of the articles. I write about as well as I speak and understand. General discussion are ok but I’m not used to specific vocabulary : history, sociology, sinologie, etc. I know about 2500 sinogramms now. My fiancee is a Taiwanese Chinese litterature professor in a Taiwanese University. She says I still have to improve my Chinese but, maybe it’s possible since I still have one year until the entrance test. Whatever, she will help me, hopefully (she’s also a Chinese second language teacher). Hope my answers will help you answering me :-)[/quote]
If she looks alright too, you’ll be the envy of every last Chinese studying bastard on this forum. :wink:

Hehe Thanks guys. =)