What did you do with your MBA?

So what do you do? :slight_smile:[/quote]

I manage an abacus :slight_smile: As much as I love forumosa, Iā€™d rather not talk about it in ā€œpublicā€.

I disagree that itā€™s all about connections. Sure, you make a lot of good connections (and good friendsā€¦not everything is bizness, even among over-preened A types) ā€¦ but there is also a lot of real content taught.

Funnyā€¦the one class everyone paid less attention to ā€“ like the ones on organizational design & leadership are the ones the really resonate now.

MBAā€™s may be practcal but are not the only way to judge a worth of someones ability.

My first cousin has only High school quals but is in senior managment of DHL Asia Pacific. Finished high scholl plus later on a couple of short Diploma courses.

capec.com.au/TeamMember.aspx?EntityId=101465 ( PS if you wonder why my cousins looks Asianā€¦ well his mom is Japanese. Married my old mans younger brother after ww2 )

I have just come from a 3 hour meeting or two partner groups in a joint venture where I consult to two CEOā€™s and VP level sales and marketing staff.

What is the end result is that I have just set into place major policy directions for both companies. I know the nuts and bolts of their businesses plus being able to look at the long term future.

Gotta love being in the TV business. :smiley:

My education levelā€¦ High School plus some further studies but no completed degrees or diplomas. :smiley:

To get many jobs, you need to be able to check the right boxes, be this Graduate, Masters or PHD

An MBA does not guarantee success or ability, and having no MBA does not guarantee failure or no ability. Its a qualification you can pull as necessary

Yes, but my point is again, what is the actual added value to doing an executiveā€™s job, very little I suspect.

Well, in business school you learn finance, accounting, economics, marketing, statistics, banking, supply chain management, and business management (organizational psychology, etc.). Someone whoā€™s already an executive or whatever may lack skills in certain fields and wants to beef up in those areas.

My apologies. I thought this was the ā€œWhat did you do with your MBAā€ thread. :wink:

[quote=ā€œJack Burtonā€]I read this book about a journalist from the Daily Telegraph who decided to goto Harvard B-school, then didnā€™t do a career in ā€œfinanceā€ and instead wrote a book about his experiences. Pretty interesting insiderā€™s take on the value of b-school. Of course, his bias is clear and you may or may not agree with his ā€œidealismā€.

Still a decent light read.

The title was something like Two Years at Harvard Business School: Philip Delves Broughton[/quote]

Can read about it from BusinessWeekWhat I Learned at Harvard Business School: An opinionated journalist goes to Cambridge for his MBA and finds ā€œa factory for unhappy peopleā€

My apologies. I thought this was the ā€œWhat did you do with your MBAā€ thread. :wink:[/quote]

Sorryā€¦I was suddenly feeling the cold draft of over-exposure on the intarweb.

Was your MBA worth it?

Thatā€™s some food for thought.

GBH, for what itā€™s worth, an MBA (earned in 1993), got me the following:

1. Double the salary in comparison with a B.A.
  2. Immediate job opportunities in management.
  3. A career in business management. I am still involved in the business world these days, but not as a VP or line manager.

MBA programs teach models that can be applied to the analysis of financial and accounting data. They teach market research design and data analysis. They teach international political economy and international finance. They teach a lot of strategy, largely through case study analysis. They teach a few special things (e.g. I had a Leadership course and a Marketing Topics seminar that were very useful), but they donā€™t teach you how to do things like hire someone intelligently, fire someone humanely, write a memo, deal with problem employees, deal with asshole co-workers, etc. In other words, much of the course content is focused on higher level strategic decision making, and very little is focused on the things a young manager in his/her late 20s or early 30s will do on a day to day basis.

But you get the cache of having an MBA, whatever thatā€™s worth nowadays (the schoolā€™s rank and reputation plays a role in future job opportunities). Fifteen years ago, it was worth something.

I wasnā€™t even aware of MBAs until I was almost 30 by which time it didnā€™t make sense economically for me. Think about it $150K on the course plus 2 years lost income to get a job at not a lot more money than I was on. Iā€™ve been lucky in as much as having had a major career change from Banking to Life Insurance but I really donā€™t see any value in the programs. Asian employers in particular seem to value them in their job adverts but every job I have gone for it hasnā€™t been an issue because of my experience in the real world.

IMHO take your 150K and start a side business or invest it in property (esp right now) and you will be richer sooner than by throwing away two years at school with a bunch of people who are paying to access your connections.

[quote=ā€œEdgar Allenā€]
IMHO take your 150K and start a side business or invest it in property (esp right now) and you will be richer sooner than by throwing away two years at school with a bunch of people who are paying to access your connections.[/quote]

Yes, unless youā€™re interested in something other than just making money, and assuming you have the cash.

Iā€™m not sure where 150k comes from. Is there an MBA program anywhere that expensive?

Sure easily. 2 years at Wharton, Harvard, Yale with living expenses.

Thatā€™s what it cost me - but I had a family of 4. For someone single, it should be somewhat less.

The cost of the MBA is about the same among like top 25-30 schools - itā€™s just the incomes coming out are very different.

Donā€™t forget the opportunity cost. If by enrolling you forego a $65K/year job for two years, and during that time spend $50-100K in tuition + living expenses to boot, then $150K would be a pretty dirt damn cheap MBA. Even if youā€™re single.

Yeah well my incomes quite a lot more than the average on coming out so it gets very silly - hence me not doing one.

Hey there EA, thanks for your referal contact with your friends in China. I may start a serious push into Shanghai once the real direct flights start up.

Will have a product online that will make expats in China very happy. :smiley:

Youā€™re kidding?? Tell him to get in touch pronto as this fellow high school dropout has a large shipping account to send his way.

Youā€™re kidding?? Tell him to get in touch pronto as this fellow high school dropout has a large shipping account to send his way.[/quote]

I can put you in touch with his underling here in Taiwan as he is one of my customersā€¦ an expat from the UKā€¦

Send me an email jim@taiwansatellite.tv